Supporting your local dealer
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Supporting your local dealer

Supporting your local dealer

I've always tried to support my local dealer.
    I do my own oil changes, battery maintenance and brake pads, but other than that I buy parts and get service done at my dealer.

HOWEVER,
    I bought a new battery from my dealer in March.
    It's toast already. He sold me a Bikemaster lead/acid which I understand is a POS.

I had to call the dealer, order a battery, wait a week, take out mine, drive 60 miles to exchange for the new one, add acid, charge, then reinstall the new.
    $61 for a battery that lasted 8 months.

I just ordered from Amazon, a Yuasa, $38 total, no tax, free shipping, and a brown truck will deliver the battery to my home in 3 days. Plus I will still have my old battery which I can turn in for $9.

I understand that dealers have to make a profit, but he's becoming unaffordable.
    Comments?

Stick to the basics with the dealer purchases as they are always high priced and a rip off. If you can use the search function here on this forum I bet you would find some juicy info on which batteries are available for your tdub and where to buy them. I read they have batteries now that don't need acid.

I buy my parts from San Jose Yamaha over their website. Their prices are competitive even with the 8.5% sales tax if I go there to pick up avoiding S&H.

What I find strange is their internet prices are less than their walk in prices. Maybe that has changed in that I haven't bought anything in a while but if they had it on the shelf I would often get an email stating my order was ready and to come pick it up on the same day I placed it. Why would it be less ordering via the internet vs. walking in?
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It's a 150 mile round trip to my local dealer, I don't buy anything from them. I do all my own wrenching, I don't trust any one else to work on my bike. I get what I need off the web and the brown truck delivers it. I plan ahead and keep common gaskets, seals, brake pads, tires-tubes, filters, cables, oil and the like on hand. I live in the sticks and have to depend on my self to keep my bike rolling, thank God the TW is a simple machine. IF I had a dealer close I'd do what I could to support them, I do think it's good to do that when possible.
    Last edited by r80rt; 12-09-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    It's a 150 mile round trip to my local dealer, I don't buy anything from them. I do all my own wrenching, I don't trust any one else to work on my bike. I get what I need off the web and the brown truck delivers it. I plan ahead and keep common gaskets, seals, brake pads, tires-tubes, filters, oil and the like on hand. I live in the sticks and have to depend on my self to keep my bike rolling, thank God the TW is a simple machine. IF I had a dealer close I'd do what I could to support them, I do think it's good to do that when possible.
    I suck on the whole "Plan ahead" part as far as having parts/supplies already on hand (except oil). I do plan ahead when I'm about to perform some maintenance or part replacement by ordering the stuff I need from Procycle ahead of time. That part I'm good at. I hate having the TW sit with parts removed waiting for other parts to come in.

I agree with r80rt 100%, ++++ on the TW being simple to work on.
    Last edited by admiral; 12-09-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    littletommy and r80rt like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    It's a 150 mile round trip to my local dealer, I don't buy anything from them. I do all my own wrenching, I don't trust any one else to work on my bike. I get what I need off the web and the brown truck delivers it. I plan ahead and keep common gaskets, seals, brake pads, tires-tubes, filters, oil and the like on hand. I live in the sticks and have to depend on my self to keep my bike rolling, thank God the TW is a simple machine. IF I had a dealer close I'd do what I could to support them, I do think it's good to do that when possible.
    Experienced this firsthand. Was riding the Busa through the Ozarks last summer and dropped it turning around in the street (not used to these hills!!) Noticed a hairline crack on the clutch lever, could not find one dealership within a couple hour's ride, and that includes the one off of 44 in Missouri!!! Luckily the lever held til I got back home, drove ten minutes to the one in Joliet and viola! Now I keep spares!!! I greatly admire your preparation!!

-THE MENACE
    r80rt likes this.

I find it hard to even try supporting my local dealer. I get the distinct impression that when ever I walk into the store the counter guy wants to hand me their electric bill or at least attach it to my order. Without exaggerating I can order OEM parts on line from far off states, pay the shipping and still save 30-50%. Most brick and mortar dealerships need a serious "Attitude Adjustment" and that includes the one I worked for. I frankly don't give a damn if their lights stay on or not.

I need some parts for my Polaris RZR right now and a simple little electrical sending unit that activates my 4 wheel drive could not cost over $15 to make is listed for $159. It is not just the dealers but the companies themselves tend to want to price themselves right out of business. Our new Toyota vehicles came with free customer care plans for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles. This included oil and filter change along with all fluids checked and topped off and tire rotation plus an all points inspection. After our plans ran out I learned this service would cost us $154 each time. I bought a case of oil filters, few cases of oil and I can do the rest myself for the next 2 years for far less than $154.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by THE MENACE View Post
    Experienced this firsthand. Was riding the Busa through the Ozarks last summer and dropped it turning around in the street (not used to these hills!!) Noticed a hairline crack on the clutch lever, could not find one dealership within a couple hour's ride, and that includes the one off of 44 in Missouri!!! Luckily the lever held til I got back home, drove ten minutes to the one in Joliet and viola! Now I keep spares!!! I greatly admire your preparation!!

-THE MENACE
    Hehe, living in the Ozarks taught me to keep spare levers in the saddlebags, and a spare clutch cable on some rides. It's a long way for help around here!
    THE MENACE likes this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    I need some parts for my Polaris RZR right now and a simple little electrical sending unit that activates my 4 wheel drive could not cost over $15 to make is listed for $159.
    GaryL
    I feel your pain!

Yamaha tried to charge me $9 each for the valve cover o-rings but I found a place that sold the exact same thing for 26 cents.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by TWisty View Post
    Comments?
    I bought my TW new from my local Yamaha dealer (about 20 minutes away). I've bought stuff like tiedowns, tires, three helmets, oil, heated clothing, etc. from him. I bought a replacement battery, chains, sprockets, windshield, most of my other clothing, and most everything else from the Internet. What few Yamaha parts I've needed I bought from the dealer. He is very friendly and very quick to get stuff in and gives me a good deal on bigger ticket items like tires and helmets. I'm glad I have this resource nearby. I take his advice sometimes but not always!

But there are times when he does not stock what I want, and I don't feel bad about using the internet for those items. I'd guess dollarwise I use him for more than 60% of my purchases.
    r80rt likes this.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links