snell or ece?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: snell or ece?

Question snell or ece?

Anyone have a safety preference when choosing a helmet & why? There is a ton of info on this topic online but I'm still confused. I am in the market for a new helmet I like the new dual sport helmet coming out by afx. I currently have a gmax dot.
    Last edited by fandango; 12-09-2013 at 01:23 PM.

I am also in the market for a DS helmet, but I am looking at the MSR Expedition Helmet, any one have this one?

I just got the afx fx-50 and a gotta say it is really comfy and fits great. I got it from the motorcycle super store on sale for 89...it's a open face with the inner sun shield.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have the GMax also. The shield goes up higher than any other. The shield can be closed while wearing goggles. Many DS'ers on group rides find alternating between open and closed shield while wearing goggles to be desirable. Some of the DS helmets have a distortion when wearing goggles under the shield. The GMax does not.

I researched all of the above before buying it. I like it.

I know all about the $100 helmet on the $10,000 head but even so, I'm personally ok with DOT. On a race track I might go with a Snell.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

DOT, Snell, ECE - whatever - what is important is that you wear a helmet and it fits correctly. Personally I'm ok with DOT and like aspects of ECE certification. Snell certification never struck me as essential (and even arguments out there that it could be detrimental) but if I found one I liked I wouldn't hesitate to wear it.

Still need a new lid...

Here is an interesting article. I have read in quite a few places that the SNELL rating is being viewed with disfavor and the more flexible helmets are now being considered safer. Helmet Standards Throwdown - Snell vs DOT vs ECE R22-05
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

The LS2 helmet I posted about earlier in the week meets both DOT and ECE standards, and is an amazingly good value. Certifications
    Fred and FishByte like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

SNELL is for fit young people with hard heads taking blows at high energy levels not likely to be encountered by anyone riding a TW. A SNELL helmet can easily transmit enough force to harm an old fart before self-destructing. It is the destruction of the helmet that absorbs the energy that harms the head. SNELL helmets are generally harder and transmit more energy. I won't buy a SNELL helmet for street use, though I have a couple for racing where a DOT helmet would probably be destroyed by the higher energies of faster speeds and not get the job done. Which is better? Depends on the circumstances.

HH's advice is the best--fit is critical. Comfort is also critical or the helmet won't be worn. Also, fastening the strap is critical--no helmet will work after parting company with the head.

Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    SNELL is for fit young people with hard heads taking blows at high energy levels not likely to be encountered by anyone riding a TW. A SNELL helmet can easily transmit enough force to harm an old fart before self-destructing. It is the destruction of the helmet that absorbs the energy that harms the head. SNELL helmets are generally harder and transmit more energy. I won't buy a SNELL helmet for street use, though I have a couple for racing where a DOT helmet would probably be destroyed by the higher energies of faster speeds and not get the job done. Which is better? Depends on the circumstances.

HH's advice is the best--fit is critical. Comfort is also critical or the helmet won't be worn. Also, fastening the strap is critical--no helmet will work after parting company with the head.
    So god forbid if you got in an accident on the street you would rather have a dot on then a snell?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links