My first post- looking at a TW200 with high(?) miles. Please advise?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My first post- looking at a TW200 with high(?) miles. Please advise?

My first post- looking at a TW200 with high(?) miles. Please advise?

Hello from sunny Florida

My truck's broke, my car's broke, and I'm borrowing a van that gets 15MPG on the highway and costs $100+ to fill. I want something cheap and reliable to get around town on while I fix the car and truck. If I can put it in the back of my truck and hit trails with it after- so much the better!

I've never ridden a motorcycle, other than when a friend was showing me how to ride his Honda Goldwing. There are riding classes at the local college and I plan to sign up for one this weekend (just an "intro" class, I won't take the actual endorsement course until January.) I can operate everything from helicopters to buses, though, so other than being ran over by BOBs I'm not worried too about it.

I came across the TW200 a couple weeks ago and saw that it would suit my needs and my desire to tinker very well, so I started looking for some locally. Of course the local dealer has a brand new one on the floor, but for the same price I could pay a shop to fix both vehicles and have a lot of money left for gas. Craigslist shows some nice, lightly used ones for great prices... everywhere but here. What I did find locally was an ugly half-white/half-blue 2007 model with 25,000 miles for $1,595 Does that seems like high mileage for a motorcycle, and a high price for the mileage?

What do you think of this? Is it worth making an offer on, and what would you offer?
    (Click the picture to see the CL ad)

25K is pretty high mileage for a 6 year old TW, but not unreasonable for your location where you can ride year round. If the bike appears to have been well maintained, I would not let the miles turn you off. The price seems pretty reasonable but I would definitely talk the seller down in price if the bike needs tires, brakes, chain, sprockets or other wear items. If it starts easily, runs well, does not smoke and does not make unusual noises, you probably can't go too wrong on this deal.

Brian

25,000 miles is a lot. I would look to get this at around 1000 bucks or perhaps keep looking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    I was told years ago when looking at a used bike, check to see if the chain has been oiled recently, is it well adjusted and are the control cables well lubed. Dry chain and cables can indicate he hasn't done much of anything else maintenance wise.

$1500 would be acceptable with half that many miles. I agree with littletommy, $1000-1200 would be more reasonable.

Just so we are clear, that is the color scheme for this year, so nothing has been replaced. Or if it was, it was replaced with year-appropriate parts. The miles aren't too high. Since the motor is so easy to rebuild, it never really gets 'too high' IMO. Things to consider: How is maintenance? What williamemack said was dead on. Check all that stuff. Check for damage as well. Are the front forks the same wear as the rest of the bike? Front rim looking the same as the back? It's all obvious stuff that will jump out you though once you see it in person. If all that checks out, you shouldn't pay more than $1200 and haggle accordingly for the things you find wrong. Ask questions as they come to mind and we will try to help. An easy go-to, common haggle point is the base gasket. It often leaks and is easy to fix, try and see if that's leaking!

Kyle
    Gone - 2006 TW200
    Gone - 2014 CB1100
    2015 WR250R - Bored, stroked
    Gone - 2000 Trans Am
    Stolen - 2007 Trailblazer SS
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
    1977 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 710M

2 Timothy 1:7

for what it's worth, that doesn't look like the stock muffler, and appears to be missing the spark arrestor. the latter may not be as big a deal in florida, but in the west, with lots of dry forests....
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

25k, rough plastics (also looks like the left side panel is gone) , missing fork boots, possible rust, modded muffler, throttle grip missing. And that's just from looking at the pictures. A closer inspection would be valuable, but I'd pay no more than 1k from pictures alone. Of course all markets are different - but I'd use all of those points to negotiate the price down from what they are asking.

So I (briefly) took a look at the bike today. The plastics are indeed pretty rough. In addition to missing the left side-panel and everything being faded, the right top front of the fender is all gouged up. That same side that is missing the reflector and throttle grip. As previously noted the shock boots are missing. I'd imagine someone went through a bush and bounced off a tree, or something. The handlebars are an ATV style and a bit rusty, and there is some rust on the frame right below the head tube. The chain was well-oiled, and the throttle and brake levers moved easily. It started quickly, didn't smoke, and sounded nice. All the lights and signals work fine. The tires really are in nice shape. Just a hell of a lot of miles on it. I'll leave it be for now, and see how I feel about it after Christmas. It was only just recently advertised for sale, so the price can only go down the longer it sits.
    Last edited by RiskEverything; 12-12-2013 at 05:03 PM.

800 bucks, but if it were me, I would keep looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links