Moving...How can I secure my TDub in a Penske Truck
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Moving...How can I secure my TDub in a Penske Truck

Moving...How can I secure my TDub in a Penske Truck

Just like the headline says.

I am relocating to N CA next month. The inside of a Penske truck has minimal secure potential. I have thought about making a wood tire book of sorts.

Can anyone offer a suggestion to transport my TDub in the back of the truck (I will have the typical household items in the truck as well...beds,tables, boxes etc.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Usually those trucks have a rail that you can get a a rope behind. Along with you tire boot, use ropes to secure it.

I like to put small lengths of rope around these rails. Tie them in a loop. Go fore and aft of the dub, on each side. I am a fan of using the most inexpensive carabiners that ARE rated for climbing, but without the saftey gates [lower cost]. Attach those to the small loops.

From there, tie a rope from the swing arm, to the front loop carabiner [tied to the side rail of the truck]. Bowline knots work well for this. I like the online resource from Animated Knots by Grog [ www.animated.knots ] for this if you do not know how to tie said knot. Also, if you want to put a loop in the middle somewhere, I like the Alpine Butterfly loop knot.

Then tie a line from the handlebar, to the rear loop on the same side. Your lines on this side will be a criss-cross. This helps with fore/aft/side motions.
    I would also tie from the forktubes to the front [on their own side] to the forward loops, and same from the swingarm to the rear loops.

To finish it off, I would push-pull and move the bike around. If it seems that it will shift, consider getting some short and stout bungy cords. Use the ropes as the main holding element, but double up part of it with the bungy's. This is where I like the alpine butterfly knot to put a loop in the middle of the long runs. Then hook the bungy to the butterfly loop, and the loop of the bowline -- now you have a shock absorber, and the rope will still hold in the event of extreme movement.

Also, when you make the front tire boot, and perhaps a rear one? [Don't be afraid to screw these down if the floor is wood] Take some rope and tie the rim/tire to the boots or brackets too.

Good luck with the move. If I were closer, I'd be there to help. Strong back / weak mind. Well, not actually. But I love to help people.

Oh, and my love of knots came from my Dad, and I love to teach them to Boy Scouts. Got to love a young man that can lash his own chair out of wood from the forest.
    Last edited by Dubzha; 01-05-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

The way I described above is for securing the Dub pointing forward. But you could put it in first or last, and have it pointing to the side too. Same concept with the ropes -- use the criss-cross method along with the direct lines. [ I was in the Navy ] This is a bit like the way they tie up ships, and it works really well for motorcycles.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is a good quality tire chock at harbor freight that is relatively inexpensive. The combination of that with the ties should be sufficient.

Thank you
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Congratulations on leaving the furnace-hot summers of Arizona!

Put the dub against the wall and then put your mattress up against it. Done!
    Dubzha, bananachunks and MCC1776 like this.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

I have moved my BMW twice in a rental truck. first time from WI to VA. I just put the front tire against the front wall, centered and used tie downs. packed some stuff around it. I would check it at gas stops. the 2nd time was up here from Jersey, brought my '83 R100S same way. But I also had a center stand on those bikes, it does help a bit. some of the newer rental trucks have tie-outs on the walls too. use multiple tie downs..its only 260 pounds of bike
    2005 Tdub

be sure to leave the kickstand up. The roads aren't as bad as the alcan where you are, but I bent mine a bit from the rough road. I had it tied down tight, but the lean on the bike bent it out a bit. Better to stand it straight up and cinch it down good.
    Dubzha likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    Better to stand it straight up and cinch it down good.
    HaHa Now that's an appropriate response for you

Pensky should have the stuff you need. Those trucks usually have an E rail all the way around the inside and about 40 inches high. Pensky will have click in short straps with a D ring attached for tying things in, you might have to rent or put a deposit on them same as the blankets and hand trucks.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links