bike hauler
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: bike hauler

bike hauler

Another question....does anyone use a dirt bike hauler instead of a trailer? The one that goes right into the receiver. I see one rated for 400lbs and am wondering if a 275lb tw would be too much tongue weight on a pathfinder. I pull plenty of tow weight but was curious if anyone has done it. Would be much easier then pulling out tge trailer everytime

I have one that is rated for 500lbs. It is made of aluminum by a company named 5 Star. It is very easy on and off, it comes with a ramp that fits on the rack. It would be relatively easy to get a few people to sit in the back of your car or stand on the bumper and see if the car is ok with it. Mine has only been on an E350 and a F250 so weight was not an issue. I highly recommend it.

C:\Users\User\Pictures\Documents\documents master\TW200 Related\TW on Carrier.jpg

C:\Users\User\Pictures\Documents\documents master\TW200 Related\DSCF0994.JPG

I made this carrier. It works on the rear of my Suzuki Grand Vitara and well as the front or back of my motor home. Last spring I hauled my TW or the front of the motor home and pulled my car on the back.

( apparently I don't have this picture posting down yet)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have hauled my TW200 on an aluminium carrier attached to my F150. The carrier is rated for 400 lbs on my 2 inch hitch which is rated to carry 500 pounds. I have a shell on the back of my truck so I don't carry the TW in the truck bed.

I have a Harbor Freight reciever carrier to carry my TW on back of AWD Astro van that survived some nasty bumpy roads last summer. However even with big tires and lift kit raising reciever high off ground back of bike carrier would occasionally drag if I wasn't carefull. Van has stiffer springs and didn't seem to suffer from the approx. 300 lbs of tongue weight. Probably OK for Pathfinder , equivalent to effect of 3000lb trailer? Ebbanflood's test idea is brilliant. Some people like trailers, I don't.Reciever model is great on highway, no worries. I do admit that a trailer would probably be better for rough roads though as it is hard to stop all self-destructive motions between bike,carrier and reciever hitch. My carrier sounds identical to 5star model.

I also have the Harbor Freight hitch carrier and carried my TW home (about 30 miles) on the back of my Xterra (2 wheel drive) from the dealer in some nasty windy/rain just yesterday. It felt fine while I was driving on the highway but I haven't taken it off the pavement yet.T-dub coming home.jpg
    DANo896, Mattw, PlacerLode and 1 others like this.

Wow awesome. Good feed back. Thanks guys

I have carried a lot of different bikes on a number of different types of these carriers (VersaHaul, Harbor Freight, MotoJack Rack, etc.) on the back our Toyota 4Runner. All of these worked fine but you need to be aware of a few things. That is a lot of weight that is extending out beyond your receiver. This resulted in raising the front of the 4Runner enough to make the front end a little squirelly at highway speeds. This also raises the aim of your headlights at night and the bike's tires can block tail/brake lights in the rear. Be sure to use some straps to secure the front and rear of the bike to the truck's frame to prevent wobbling. The rails on some of these carriers are rather narrow for the TW's fat tires so you may also want to tie the wheels to secure them to the rails.

If you only have one bike to carry, these carriers are definitely the way to go!

Brian is right on. I also strap the rear tire to the rail. I do it with the leftover end of the ratchet strap.
    PlacerLode and admiral like this.

All great tips on securing the bikes to these receiver carriers

I recommend the extended tail light option availalable on the Versahaul

Another problem is the sandblasting effect coming off the rear tires even if you have mud flaps it's amazing how fast you can blast your rims etc wet or dry it's a real problem

2.JPG1.JPG
    TW-Brian and Fred like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links