300mi on a tw?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 300mi on a tw?

300mi on a tw?

Okay been lurking here for awhile and need to ask for help.I'm 55 with six knee surgery's and have been riding for ever.I ride duel sport in Michigan with my son and that means sand,lots of it.My idea of dual sport means riding from home to northern Michigan to the trails.My question is will the tw handle a 300mi secondary road trip at 60mph or will I be ragging out the little 200 to much?Thanks for the help.

The bike is sooo capable of handling it. Take a look at this thread. 1000 miles in less than 24 hours.

https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...light=ironbutt

60 mph will be about the max for highway speeds. You will have NO throttle left.

The TW will do it, however, if you keep that pace for a couple of hours, figure on topping off the oil during the trip. For some reason this 196cc engine likes to burn oil at high RPMs. It only hurts the engine if you don't replace what is burned off. Once you drop back down to side road and/or trail speeds the oil consumption drops back down to almost zero.

This is advice from experience.

P.S. buy a 12v air pump. Figure out how to power it from the TW. Adjust your tire pressure down for sand, and up for road.
    DonBenito and HappyHiker like this.
    Stephen S.

'07 TW200:

15/50 sprockets, O-ring chain, D2Moto foot pegs

tweaked carb (127.5 jet, 0.019 needle shim, idle screw @2.25),

Rubbermaid "Action Packer" on homemade brackets

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You should keep it at about 50-55 mph. Change your oil first! I've done 300 miles once and 200 miles once. At the end of each ride, my tail bone was aching badly. Have fun and be careful.
    Rusty

2005 TW200

2005 Triumph Bonneville T100

I've done over 300 miles in a day with 70lbs of luggage and gear on the back. The TW is up for it.

srs713 is right on about the oil consumption, mine burns about 100cc of oil an hour when traveling at highway speeds.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

+1 on the oil consumption! Make sure you're adding oil formulated for use with a wet clutch, otherwise she'll slip on ya. Learned that from experience.

I've run my TW over 600 miles in a weekend over interstate, singletrack and everything inbetween. All this carrying camping gearand my own 250lbs. I'd say the bike is up to it for sure!

See https://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...de-report.html
    God willin' and the creek don't rise.

I don't have any doubt the TW will do the job but IMHO, if you have a pick up or trailer, I would drag the bike up and be in great shape for the fun part of the ride. I do find it rather boring cruising along at 55 on pavement and you don't have to be told the saddles sure are not comfy no matter what you do for long trips like that.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by srs713 View Post
    60 mph will be about the max for highway speeds. You will have NO throttle left.

The TW will do it, however, if you keep that pace for a couple of hours, figure on topping off the oil during the trip. For some reason this 196cc engine likes to burn oil at high RPMs. It only hurts the engine if you don't replace what is burned off. Once you drop back down to side road and/or trail speeds the oil consumption drops back down to almost zero.

This is advice from experience.

P.S. buy a 12v air pump. Figure out how to power it from the TW. Adjust your tire pressure down for sand, and up for road.
    +1 Spot on.

I ran 1600 miles of pavement in 5 days with no troubles. I was running 15/47 sprockets but with the 14/47 or 15/50 I wouldnt be worried. I ran it over 500miles in one day and 400 of that was interstate. Fuel mileage dropped to 49-50mpg. Mine never needed any oil but ive heard alot of people say theirs needed some. So keep an eye on the oil for sure. The bike should be fine.

Search and find the variety of solutions for the saddle on this forum.......Stearns or Coleman ATV cover (padded) or Alaska Leather "butt pad"......and there's more!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links