Took my states Motorcycle riders course.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Took my states Motorcycle riders course.

Took my states Motorcycle riders course.

So I spent the weekend taking the safety/riders here in wa. Had fun doing it and very informative. The other good thing about the course was that used TW200 for the road course. So that helps cause I am a newby to them. At the end of the course the instructor wanted to talk to me. He asked me what type of bike I had. I said a Tdub. He asked how old it was. 2013, I said, I just bought it at Christmas. He looks me in the eye and says, " you are gona need a bigger bike" you look like a circus bear. I don't think that I am that big. 5' 11" 260. (yes I am in denile ) I just laughed and agreed. And at some point I will but right know this is what I can afford. Any way, all is good, he was a great instructor and I would recommend the course to any one that wants to get better at riding. OK have a great day folks.
    PlacerLode and pair of jacks like this.

You do not need a bigger bike. I ride with a guy that is 6'1'' and over 300 lbs. and he does just fine with the TW.
    MTLHead likes this.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    You will be fine on the TW and you have made two very smart moves so far, 1) taking the course to learn and gain confidence and 2) not buying a 1000cc maintenance heavy rocket for your first bike. Down the road you will probably want to add another bike, but you will likely want to keep the TDub. It really can handle any riding level and it will always keep you smiling.

Welcome to the family and we are always here for the questions you'll run into.
    frog13 and MTLHead like this.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lol circus bear. That is pretty funny. Im 6'1 240 and I feel fine. I must look the same. Good for you taking the course. I never did buta friend did and he was riding a 1500 Vulcan like a pro a week later

As a 5'14" riding instructor up here in the great white north of Canada, I don't give two flaming farts if I look like a polar bear on wheels. I emphasize to my students that size doesn't matter as long as we have an engine hung between two rubber donuts. My 2011 Road King gets less miles cause my 2010 TW gives me more smiles. I've ridden for 33 years everything from UJM (4 cylinder Suzukis and Hondas), Sportster, Kawi W650, DR650, BMW K1100RS, Honda Varadero 1000 Vtwin, Puegeot 50cc. I just ordered a set of Happy Trail Imnaha aluminum panniers from Idaho and can't wait for the warmer weather to get them mounted and share some pics. I hope that if I can share my TW excitement with my students they won't feel this crazy need to buy a bigger bike with all of the associated extra costs.
    Last edited by mmmdonuts; 01-26-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    admiral, MTLHead and 66roadkill66 like this.

Your instructor clearly doesn't realise how versatile the TW is
    admiral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattw View Post
    So I spent the weekend taking the safety/riders here in wa. Had fun doing it and very informative. The other good thing about the course was that used TW200 for the road course. So that helps cause I am a newby to them. At the end of the course the instructor wanted to talk to me. He asked me what type of bike I had. I said a Tdub. He asked how old it was. 2013, I said, I just bought it at Christmas. He looks me in the eye and says, " you are gona need a bigger bike" you look like a circus bear. I don't think that I am that big. 5' 11" 260. (yes I am in denile ) I just laughed and agreed. And at some point I will but right know this is what I can afford. Any way, all is good, he was a great instructor and I would recommend the course to any one that wants to get better at riding. OK have a great day folks.
    May have been a great instructor,but, that was thrown out the window with such a comment. The comment was a "cosmetic"one,not even functional in nature.
    maddawgj and admiral like this.

I first became enamored with a T-Dub in 2000. Took the MSF course in 2011 and rode the T-Dub. I loved it. I did get sidetracked with a Vtwin cruiser [my first bike], but just over a year later I bought a brand new T-Dub. I have to say my Cruiser is used when I really need to take the freeway in the interest of saving time. But my go-to bike is always the T-Dub. I'll stll put miles on the cruiser, but the T-Dub will be the last bike I sell.

You may want to buy a bigger bike, but you don't have to.
    maddawgj and TW-Brian like this.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

Glad you took, and got some good out of the course.

Do these pants err I mean TW make my butt look big? I'm with Frog as far as the instructor goes.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Oh I took every thing he said with a smile. He said he just thought that I looked uncomfortable. which I think may have been caused more from being a newbie than anything else. He was just trying to helpful and said as long as I am happy with what I got. circus bear...that is so funny though!
    Dubzha likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links