From beginning to now
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: From beginning to now

From beginning to now

So just thought i'd drop a post on where I'm at with my '06 TW200..

I recently obtained this bike over the summer, but before that, it had been sitting, not moving an inch or being started, in the mountains for about six years or so. When I first picked it up, nothing worked. Gas tank was still on, and full, battery was completely corroded, and obviously dead, tires flat, etc. Pretty much everything you'd expect out of the situation.

Unfortunately, while I did grow up riding dirt bikes, I was never really taught the mechanics, so this bike has pretty much been my crash course.

I began by ordering a new battery, which I had to fill myself, which was pretty simple, and from there its been pretty much a step by step on what I realize is wrong next. After the battery, I did an oil change (also pretty simple), and then checked out the carb. After a few hours of working with it, I admitted defeat, and took it to my local bike shop. Fortunately, for my self-esteem, the mechanic I was working with also had a really rough time with it. A number of pieces were jammed and stuck, and once we got it open, we saw what, at first, looked like moss growing inside of it, but after a moment, was recognized as just a load of corrosion and build up. After a week or so, I got a call that it was ready (they had had to order parts from their supplier). Within that time, I had emptied my gas tank, hit it with a rust-away kit, and put a tank liner in it - debatably regrettable, but still working, just not as neat looking. Finally, today I received my fuel petcock rebuild kit, which I put together and filled up my gas tank, which no longer leaks.

And it started! Finally!

But now it won't. I'm assuming its simply because it is low on oil. I had a friend drive it down to florida for me from georgia, in his pickup, and when he got here, he had it laying down on it's side, and I think he had it like that for a few days so I think some oil leaked out. I'm going to do another oil change just to be safe tomorrow, but wanted to hear some outside opinions on the whole thing.

Also, I had originally used 20W-50, but after getting an owner's manual, I believe I need to be using SAW 20W-40 or 10W-30... and on a separate note, any thoughts on whether I'll be able to just pump up the tires or should i purchase new ones?
    Last edited by goldenhtr; 02-02-2014 at 09:36 AM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

r80rt and Hoot Gibson like this.

First of all thanks for rescuing this animal instead of going to a reputable breeder. It deserves a good home. A few with more TW experience than me will chime in but my bike wants a FULL battery. I can kick start it easily when the electric start does not start it, not sure why. If you are not happy with how the gas tank liner came out it might be time to move on. They are available either in stock form or aftermarket. Tires sitting for 6 years are a problem looking for a place to happen and for some reason tires choose to expire in very remote locations. Check the tires for any sign of dry rot cracking on the sidewalls and between the tread. Good luck with this bike, when you get the cobwebs out and get a few miles on it you will be glad that you put the effort into it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That "moss" in the carb is thanks to ethanol in the OLD gas. It is a major bummer. You need to clean clean clean that carb and tank. It could come to replacing both.

I do not like the "tank lining" stuff. It can break loose from the rusty old tank walls and cause even more problems. Frankly, I think cleaning it with rocks and diesel fuel is better. If it leaks, it's DEAD. Get a replacement. Really, I've been there. A leaky tank is "a-trail-of-tears".

Flat ties = bad tires. They can last for 20 years with air in them but once flat, the sidewalls go to sh**. Get new ones. Really.
    Hoot Gibson and CJ7_TW like this.

Suspicions galore here! Tank was full of stale gas and has been cleaned and lined. You are not happy with the coating job which sends up red flags. Could it be flaking off? Could it be that you did not clean the tank out completely over many days and prep it properly for internal coating? Could the new petcock screens be clogged? Did you install an in line fuel filter or could old crud have contaminated your carb again? The fact you state it ran for a while and now won't start tells me to look in to fuel delivery first. Have you tried switching it to reserve and see if that works? You could have the plastic diverter in the petcock in backwards so when it says on it is off.

I don't know where you are located but up here in NY we typically use 10W 40 oil and you must make sure it is motorcycle approved for a wet clutch system. I doubt the oil being low has anything to do with not starting but if it is low then not starting is a good thing.

Step one. Turn the petcock to off and pull the line from the carb. Put a container under the line and turn the fuel on. If no fuel flows you have one answer.

Step 2. Carefully twist the carb so you can remove the float bowl from the shifter side but still leave fuel in the bottom. Is there crud in the bowl? You have another answer.

Step 3. Did you check the air passages from the filter to the carb? Mice love to build nests up in there. No air flow, no run.

Step 4. When you put the carb back together make 100% sure it is fully seated and sealed at both the engine and air side with no leaks.

Step 5. If your tank is in fact clean and the petcock is working and fuel is flowing and you don't find any crud in the float bowl. Do yourself a big favor, buy a brand new carb for around $275 delivered from Partzilla and be done with all this technical crap you don't seem to like or know your way around.

One more thing. When you change the oil the only way to be sure the pump is working is to run the engine and open the screw up top to make sure the oil is flowing. It is a bleeder of sorts and will assure you the oil is getting to the top end.

Lastly, and I am not a holy roller but we do have woman and children here so there could be better ways of expressing ones self as much as I fully understand your frustrations.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 01-27-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I would start with looking at the fuel as Gary mentioned. If its not getting fuel its not going to run.

I also agree with fishguy on the tank. I have suffered with leaky tanks in the past and anything i ever did to them was just a bandaid and they always ended up leaking again and again and again..... A Clarke take will give you a good tank to start with and some extra capacity to boot for a lot less than a new factory. You could also look on ebay, there are two on there now, one is older one brand new. Personally i would go Clarke.

I also agree on the tires, tires that sit like that will dry rot and crack. I would replace them before you ever take it for a ride outside your lawn, your safety is not worth skimping here. There are lots of good options depending on what type of riding you plan on doing. I personally run the stock Bridgestone knobby on the rear and a Shinko 244 5.10" Goldenboy on the front. I'm super happy with this combo for both street and dirt, i do 50-50. The only place i don't like the Shinko is in deep sand. I didn't like the factory front tire at all. There are lots of good tire threads on here so you can really arm yourself with some good info before you buy.

Its too bad that bike was so neglected. Hopefully you will get the bugs worked out quickly and get to enjoying the fun little bike that is the TW200.
    Last edited by jb882; 01-27-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

All of the above and ....10w-40 is fine. Folks tend to disregard the 10w part of the equation......run synthetic if you wish just make sure it is motorcycle specific engine oil.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Step 5. If your tank is in fact clean and the petcock is working and fuel is flowing and you don't find any crud in the float bowl. Do yourself a big favor, buy a brand new carb for around $275 delivered from Partzilla and be done with all this technical crap you don't seem to like or know your way around.

Lastly, and I am not a holy roller but we do have woman and children here so there could be better ways of expressing ones self as much as I fully understand your frustrations.

GaryL
    Here is a much much cheaper carb solution: Mikuni 28-418 flat slide carb (typically $100-130).

I'm usually not on-board with big tanks on bikes but I've seen a few pics of people who've shoehorned the XT225 Clarke 4 gallon tank and it looks pretty good IMO.

Replace them tires, I'm sure there's a flat spot on 'em; the belt may have separated and you're really looking at a possible catastrophic issue by even chancing them around the woods or neighborhood.

Best wishes, good luck and have fun!

Thanks everyone for the help/suggestions, and Gary, I apologize for my language. Again, I am still very much learning here, so bare with me. I did not at all say I don't enjoy it, its just that I am still in school, with not a lot of disposable income, however, I am very determined. I just need some friendly advice.

I do have a little more to go on. Got the bike started. Either had something to do with the choke (I know what you're thinking, I wasn't that absent minded, I did fiddle with it yesterday) or with the air filter. I removed it figuring I would just go ahead and replace it, and decided to give it a shot without the corroded, oily filter, and it worked. However, I forgot to mention this part before, but after running only a few seconds, both yesterday and today, it started smoking from the engine on the right side, or possibly just the exhaust. Any experienced advice?

Thanks again, guys. Don't know if I would have been able to do this without the help on this forum.

Sincerely,
    Steve
    Last edited by smlangford91; 01-28-2014 at 12:36 PM.

you can buy oem parts here...
    INTAKE

these guys gave you good advice...another thing to rule out is that your gas cap is venting the tank properly...try disabling the locking mechanism and starting the bike with the cap loose to make sure that isn't an issue...i would focus on getting the bike running properly before buying another tank and tubes/tires...you may even be able to find cheap used tires on here from guys who have swapped out to atv tires...let us know how you make out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links