Animals You See On Your Ride
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Animals You See On Your Ride

Animals You See On Your Ride

Another animal just just a little to late.

Ronnydog
    r80rt, sparky jan and PlacerLode like this.

We saw a fair size heard of Elkopotamusrex on our No Business Lookout ride this past summer. Here's mama and some babies. I was as surprised as they were.
    Ok, I made up the word Elkopotamusrex. Without getting into real Latin, they are just Elk or Wapiti.

Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Awesome pics^^^.

I really need to take a camera with me when I ride. Seen tortoises, gators and all kind of birds. Was less than 10 feet from the biggest hawk I've ever seen (insert fish story here). It was perched on a wood fence while I was cruising on the TW. I stopped on the side of the road directly in front him, we looked at each other and I drove off (pretty fierce-some talons and beak). of Still haven't seen a bear or panther yet. The riding 'round here has gotten immensely better since the swamps have dried out a little. LOTS of sand that's a mix of hardpack, softpack and really deep fluffy stuff. I'm not complaining and will enjoy what I can for as long as possible.
    Fred likes this.

I worry about what I don't see! The Hog,Deer or Turkey bolting in front of me. That said I've helped several Turtles and Snakes cross the road.

Now that the bike is "done" I can start getting some other toys- a helmet cam will be high on that list. Wildlife is one of the top reasons I continually explore.

I have 2 favorite visual memories from different trips in the Cascades. The most recent was last summer from the seat of the TW: a huge Grizzly bounding downhill across the road about 200 feet in front of me. Silver tipped fur, left skidding paw prints about 7" across. I was originally intending to camp up on the alpine meadow ridge where he'd been...but moved a little further on instead!

The other visual is from near to the same area, but a few years back. A friend and I were coming out from an overnight trip to the mine in Rascal, my ancient Willys CJ-3A, loaded with gear, no top, with the windshield folded down, only the roll cage sticking up. I do the coasting trick on both TW and jeep: roll slowly downhill with the engine off. You see a lot that way. Well, there's a patch of dirt right beside the road in a steep cliff section- it's got to be a natural salt lick, because the mountain goats congregate there and tear up the dirt- and apparently eat it. I'll try to dig up a photo of goats; they weren't the star of this show. We roll towards the salt lick and barely 20 feet in front of us, there's this golden colored blur; the tail is about as long as the animal. It's a huge cougar; we've interrupted a careful stalk on his part. Another 15 feet and he would have landed in the jeep with us. I brake the jeep to a stop, looking down over the edge of the road, salt lick in the foreground. The sounds of the big cat crashing through the brush below are still coming up at us, when his target pokes it's head above the edge of the cliff. It was a little kid goat he had in mind fer lunch!!!

Of course it all happened far too quickly to drag out any camera.

Both of these photos were excerpted from videos. The mountain goats are pretty dependable in this spot; I have lots of video of them. The location is the salt earth area as noted above.

This deer hopped off of her TW to have a quick snack. She left the bike running. Historic mountain cabin in the North Cascades.

Last edited by Vagabond; 01-29-2014 at 12:52 PM.
    PlacerLode, Fred and DaveF like this.
    2004 T-dub, 15/50-68 dual sprocket, modded carb, kickstart, weldment footpegs, EK o-ring chain, Shinko 241 front tire, Duro PG rear, Ride-on seal/balance f&r, Pro Taper bars w/ PG grips, folding mirrors, XT350 tank, f&r Cycleracks, Saddlemens gel seat insert, VisionX LED driving lights, TCI pan/guards, 230cc six speed engine/trans, Jimbo Shield (smoke); ongoing monkeyshinin'

Always bring a camera. not always easy to get a good or any pic as they can be gone in a few seconds. Seen mountain lion once (too far away for pic), bobcats (one ran right in front of me on trail), a few black bears (they are very quick and you really only get a second to see them), beavers, otters, possum, deer, wild turkeys and one time what looked like a large wolf but read later that there are none in CA. That sucker was big and fast! no time to even think about a pic.... Animal sighting are fun and the Tw is nice and quiet....
    Fred likes this.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I snapped a pic of this here bear running across the road while I was riding on 92 just north of black canyon in Colorado.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I forgot about this guy. This was in North Carolina on the Heintooga just before it turns into the Balsam mountain road. The balsam is a one way gravel road that goes "28ish" miles down the mountain into Cherokee. Very fun little twisty road I was sitting on my bike while taking this pic. If your ever in the area i highly reccomend riding it. Ive been hunting most of my life and there is a point where to close could be bad. EspecialIy in late October. I was definitely having that feeling but he just walked right behind me. I took this pic with my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by small's; 01-28-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Here is a fellow that took a nice pose for me

I missed an opportunity to take a pic of a Lynx once and now I keep my camera within reach and ready. Will never forget his yellow eyes and how beautiful he was as he watched me going about 60 on ice and snow. No way to stop and take that one lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 01-28-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links