1998 6K miles for $750!!!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 1998 6K miles for $750!!!

Smile 1998 6K miles for $750!!!

Just found a 1998 with 6,000 miles for $750.00! It doesn't run, yet, but it turns over and ALL the pieces are there. Its muddy but in otherwise very good condition.

Winter is when you get the good motorcycle deals.

Pictures to come.
    Last edited by fishguy; 01-29-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Congrats! What a smoking deal. Enjoy!

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by Teedubya View Post
    Congrats! What a smoking deal. Enjoy!
    +1! Congrats!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Lucky duck!! Congrats! Winter time here is no different than summer....as far as bike prices. If anything, they go up because of the great riding weather.
    2015 Yamaha Bolt
    Coming Soon...TW200

Fingers crossed for you. 6K miles is no big deal as long as it was maintained and not overly abused. These engines go a long way as long as they get enough clean oil.

Can't wait to see the pics.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Nice!- she's just sleepin.
    Fred likes this.
    -Bill

Kawi ZRX1200
    Yamaha TW Two Hundirt

So far with the $750 '98 TW:

Found that the primary screen in the tank was clogged. Switched to "reserve" = much gas.

No rust in tank. Cleaned tank. New gas. Still, no start.

Pulled spark plug. Much spark = Much Joy!

PO "rebuilt" the Carb, therefore, pulling carb. Something must be "gummed-up"

Front tire must be stock. It looks like crap. Back tire, very good.

Chain and sprockets are worn. Not replacing, for now.

No oil leaks. Yahoo! No bad noises from engine when cranking. Yahoo!

Quote Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
    So far with the $750 '98 TW:

Found that the primary screen in the tank was clogged. Switched to "reserve" = much gas.

No rust in tank. Cleaned tank. New gas. Still, no start.

Pulled spark plug. Much spark = Much Joy!

PO "rebuilt" the Carb, therefore, pulling carb. Something must be "gummed-up"

Front tire must be stock. It looks like crap. Back tire, very good.

Chain and sprockets are worn. Not replacing, for now.

No oil leaks. Yahoo! No bad noises from engine when cranking. Yahoo!
    Can't wait to hear what you find in the bowl. A good carb cleaning could be all she needs and if worse comes to worse, I think this is number 2 TW for you, just switch to a known working carb and give it a try.

Tires, chains and sprockets go under the normal wear category but I would not go very far before replacing all of them. You got very lucky with a clean tank inside but what was it that had the screen clogged?

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

The main flow screen was covered with "varnish". You know what I mean? The "reserve" screen was clean. Very little "dirt" in the tank.

Funny thing was, the PO complained that he "just re-built the carb" and it still "wasn't getting gas". I pulled the tank to carb line and no gas UNTIL I turned it to Reserve. Then, much gas.

I can't wait to see what he did inside the carb during his "rebuild".

Re: Switching carbs. Good idea, but I like a challenge and am going to "smoke this one out". I'll swap carbs if it gets really crazy but for now, I am sure it is just bad gas plugging the carb. I don't have time until next weekend, but I will put a little gas in the spark plug hole for a quick test run.
    Last edited by fishguy; 02-01-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    maddawgj and Fred like this.

The $750 TW200 - The saga continues

My pal found a non-running (4 or 5 years?) 1998 TW200 for $750.00!!

He snapped it up figuring I would pay him at least that for it. He was right. The bike is totally complete (well, a couple nuts and blots are missing here and there, but, more about that later).

The PO said it was used as a “ranch utility” bike and he brought it to town for commuting. He “rebuilt” the carb. This always freaks me out when the first thing the PO does is rebuild the carb. I, myself, don’t like to rebuild carbs because it is NOT EASY. I try to avoid it, if I can.

Anyway, we assumed he hadn’t messed it up too bad and cleaned the bike up, cleaned the plug, and checked for spark. Much Joy! Good spark.

We originally got it to start by dumping a teaspoon of gas in the spark plug hole (Note: Replace plug and try to start. If it doesn’t at least back fire, and you’ve got spark, you have BIG problems). It ran only with the “choke” out. Well, okay. At least it ran! No bad noises. No rod knock. No bad piston slap. No real bad smoke.

But it wouldn’t keep running. We brought it back into my office/shop (see pixs) and pulled the carb, again. And, Ah Ha! (see pixs). I found that the o-ring in the intake manifold was broken and mutilated. I have learned with ALL carbureted engines that an air leak between the carb and the head is DEATH. We live in a world of fuel injection and computer managed ignitions. We forget how critical a tight intake is, especially on these small engines.

I bought a new intake o-ring, put her back together, mixed up a “hot tank” of gas and Lucas Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner, charged the battery, pulled the”choke” and hit the starter. After about 10 revolutions she fired right up. 15 seconds on “choke” and then to normal position.

OH OH! Died. Rats! Well . . . still no bad noises. Okay, this time run it for 2 minutes on choke. Warm her up. Then, when I pushed in the choke it coughed, blew some oily smoke, and idled almost perfectly! Good throttle response but still lots of white smoke. I expected this because the first carb tear-down found excessive oil in the air cleaner, carb and head. We figured the bike was laid on its left side for awhile. Ran on idle for awhile and ALL the smoke burnt off and disappeared.

Next, it came without a chain but no master link. Therefore, we do not know the condition of the clutch/transmission. Still don’t. That’s next, however, I just noticed that the rear sprocket is a 50 tooth and worn out. I’ve got a new $16.00 chain. I think I will just slap it on the existing sprockets so we can get this thing road tested. Then, once we decide what this TW will be used for we can buy the proper sprockets and a new o-ring chain.

My experience is that the transmission on the TW is VERY strong. Therefore, I can imagine we may need a clutch (The bike has 6011 miles on it. Did I say that?) but I bet the tranny is OK.

So far, we have about $50.00 in parts. That’s counting donor parts from my ‘95 TW that will need to be replaced.

1998 TW 1.JPG1998 TW 2.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links