Offroad boots, Eyewear and those damned buddy pegs!
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Offroad boots, Eyewear and those damned buddy pegs!

Offroad boots, Eyewear and those damned buddy pegs!

image.jpg

So what happened was this. Was riding quad trail at an ORV park (Tahuya ). Early morning so sun was low. As I came around a berm sun washed out my sight and I drifted low out of the corner and I tagged the side if the trail with my right foot. I never actually saw the side of the trail coming up. My toe grabbed the bank spun my foot around 180 deg. At this point I am still OK I am standing up so I have the flexibility to let my foot do that. But then as my foot is sliding along the bike it makes contact with the folded up buddy peg. Now we have a time space conflict with the side of the trail, my right foot and the buddy peg. result??? A broken Fibula (smaller bone in leg) Broken 3 inches above the ankle.

Three things came together and any one of these could have prevented this.

#1. Better choice of eyewear. I was wearing older pair of goggles that were not too clear. The low sun had proven a problem already. I had two other options but instead of stopping to change I pressed on. Had I seen the side of the trail coming at me I could have just lifted my foot and let the foot peg bounce.

#2. Better Boots. I was wearing some very stiff insulated hunting boots. I had been trying to get my first pair of MX boots since last fall but never found what I thought was right. I had recently purchased a pair of Fox Comp boots but after I got them home I decided they were only marginally better then my heavy hunting boots. I was looking for something with some hard protection in the toe, leg and ankle. I am certain the Fox boots would have not changed the outcome of this event!

#3. That damned buddy peg. I have TW because I like to dual sport. Mostly logging roads but I also like single track, ridden at a rather comfortable slow speed (1st ans 2nd gear for me). More of a trials rider than a MX racer. I have banged my foot off of the buddy peg nearly every time I go single trackin. So I had been intending to remove it since las summer. I just never seemed to remember to do it. In fact morning of the event with the bikes loaded in the truck I was fueling the truck and looking at the buddy peg to see if I could just screw it off the bracket. When I saw that I needed a wrench to remove the bracket I stopped.

If I would have resolved any one of these this next 6 weeks would have been much more fun. The good news is the break looks to be pretty routine and it almost reset itself.

Oh dear, hope you're not in too much pain, & hope you have a speedy recovery
    I've got a few lenses for my goggles, get some tinted ones, or i've got one which looks metallic orange but is great in sun & dust (not sure what the technical name for them is sorry, think it's an Oakley one)
    Do you have a helmet with a peak, that can help unless the sun is really low

Well, at least the weather should be nicer when you get back in the saddle, rather than what we have been having. Sorry you got hurt!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

image.jpgBob you have our deepest sympathies. Isn't hindsight golden? Good honest evaluation. I think I have a similar riding style as you and have narrowed TW appendages as much as possible to avoid snagging brush, trees and me in a shunt. Buddy pegs were helpfull first year to keep bike running when I would fall over . Took them off and don't miss them. Custom (ugly cheap home modified) tucked-in-tight led turn signals and brake light, license plate assemblies allow me to slide on and off bike with minimal snagging and risk of injury. I have 40 years of accumulated scars from bolts, bars, footpegs,levers etc and always feared stock license plate and bracket would somedy knife into my thigh in tip-over. Plate now is mounted in rubbery mud-flap like material with rounded edges.
    Can anyone recogmend a compromise enduro or touring boot with a bit of protection to have protected Bob but flexible enough to allow hiking and walking comfort? My rides are never just ride,ride,ride. Usually get to destination to explore on foot like ruins, mtn peak, lakeside. My MX boots gather dust in clsoet due to excess stifness on a fun ride but this is stupid because it is not a fun ride to end in injury like Bob.
    Best wishes for speedy recovery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I nearly did this once!!! I wear wellys as I always go through deep water.

Problem is if I wear wellys I could break my foot but if I wear boots I'm not waterproof.

Get well soon!!!
    View my build/off road riding here with lots of pics and vids Hidden Content

Uk TW/ Suzuki LTZ250 off road rider only

Flat out or back out.

I to am looking for the perfect boot. I have a set of motocross boots, but there is no traction with the flat soles. They make just plain walking dangerous.
    id like a pair of motocross boots with a little bit of flexibility and vibram soles. Just can't find 'em
    had I been wereing better boots maybe I would not have broken so many metatarsal bones last spring.
    Last edited by gregor; 02-01-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    Fred likes this.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Can anyone recogmend a compromise enduro or touring boot with a bit of protection to have protected Bob but flexible enough to allow hiking and walking comfort? My rides are never just ride,ride,ride. Usually get to destination to explore on foot like ruins, mtn peak, lakeside. My MX boots gather dust in clsoet due to excess stifness on a fun ride but this is stupid because it is not a fun ride to end in injury like Bob.
    Best wishes for speedy recovery.
    I've got a pair of Alpinestar Scout waterproof boots that I purchased just before Christmas. I really, really like them so far. I've taken them on a few 200+ mile rides and spent a lot of time walking in them when I got where I was going...even hiked up some pretty good sized mine deposit hills in them. I've worn them in the shop for 5+ hours when I was working on one of the bikes. Only downside is your feet will get pretty warm since they're waterproof. Price is right and I feel like they offer quiet a bit of protection for the money.

Alpinestars Scout Waterproof Motorcycle Boots | Riding Gear | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
    maddawgj and Fred like this.

Remington T-71 shooting glasses, amber lense: good coverage, good low light vision, high impact resistance and reasonable cost.
    Last edited by fasteer; 02-01-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    maddawgj and Fred like this.
    87% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot.

First thing I did when I got both the bikes was to remove the "Buddy Pegs" and the passenger seat strap. This eliminated the temptation of giving rides. Also a good reason to let friends ride the second TW. Hope you mend fast and get back riding.
    rurlndum, Fred and GaryL like this.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Crutch buddy!!!

Hope you heal up quickly, I'm finally getting close to the point of being able to ride again. Get better.
    littletommy likes this.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links