Model? Year?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Model? Year?

Model? Year?

Hi everyone,

I hoping people can help me to identify the model and year of this TW. There are non-stock parts, e.g. the tank and front fender are XT250 and the handlebars and seat are not stock. Thanks in advance.

GLQ5Z16.jpg
    PlacerLode likes this.

rbm
    Hello and welcome! Where are you located? I don't remember any years in the US that had yellow plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by rbm View Post
    Hello and welcome! Where are you located? I don't remember any years in the US that had yellow plastics.
    Sorry, I should have said. It's a repaint job. It's in Japan. I'm going to see it this week with a view to buying it. The pipe is also aftermarket.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

That is interesting! It has front disc brake, post 2001 and it has the pre 2001 kick start. You could be looking at a complete refurb from various different TWs as well as some other model parts as you state. Not much of that bike is stock unless they offer many variations in Japan that we don't get here. I would try to find the year model from the vehicle ID number on the steering head and from what the title says.

There is nothing wrong with buying a bike put together from parts. You could end up with a very nice machine that has an older frame and motor with all sorts of new parts from other bikes. The TW has a uniquely long production run and many parts from the early 1987 bikes will still fit a brand new one. Over in Japan you can find many after market parts never available here in the states. I honestly don't know what a new TW from a dealer in Japan would look like as compared to what we get here. The rear rack on that bike sure does look like a Cyclerack from the US.

let us know what you find and if you buy it.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

nice dual LED lights on it
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks Gary,

The seller tells me it's 2001, but if the kick-start is from an earlier model then you would imagine that the core of the bike is post-2001? He may not know himself. He bought it second hand about three years ago. He's a foreigner in Japan like me. I know he has been spending money on it lately. I think the cowl might not even be from a TW. He says there's 20km on the clock, but I've been told by people who know that rarely are 2nd hand 250cc, or under, bikes here truthful on the clock. The seller is replacing the gaskets at present, which might suggest that it has done more than 20km?

I should introduce myself in the self intro thread, but just a bit of background. I ride a 2012 Honda CB400 Super B'ol Dor, which I bought new here. It's my commuter, but i want to get off road a lot. This country is coast to coast mountains and trails which scream out for riding. Last year I rented a Serow XT225 and tagged along with a gang of Japanese pensioners who rode the trails like a gang of hooligans, and that was me sold on trial riding. Now I'm looking round for a ride. TWs over here get modded to high heaven, I'm sure you already know. The guy next door to me has one of the millions of TW rat bikes you see here. I was actually very surprised to see this one for sale in this state. I'm hoping to see it on Tuesday. If it rides well and seems sound I reckon I'll buy it. If I do buy it, then I'll be a regular here I reckon. I'll be trying to do as much of the work to it myself, if I can, but I've only ever changed the oil on a bike before. I'll let you know what happens when I see it.

Thanks again

By the way, I don't think the TW is sold new here anymore.
    Last edited by Dualta; 02-09-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Fred and PlacerLode like this.

Can I ask another question? At 13 years old and 20km on the clock (if it can be believed), are there any big issues that can come up with the engines around this time? I'm no mechanic and wouldn't be able to tell from even a close inspection, beyond fumes showing oil being burned. I wouldn't want to buy it only to be facing a major engine issue within its first year. I wouldn't be using it that much. Only the odd day here and there, hitting the trails, but it would be getting ridden hard.

And another question, if I may? If it were to have engine trouble, how hard is it for a first timer to have a go at fixing it? I've changed oil on a bike once, but that is the full of it, but I would like to learn how to work a bike myself.
    Last edited by Dualta; 02-16-2014 at 04:46 AM.

Fear not. Get yourself a Clymer manual, read the intro for general how-to info, then follow the instructions step-by-step. Anyone who can read can overhaul a TW.

Want to know the model year. Look at the sticker on the front fork. Its four numbers starting with 19 or 20. Tom
    PlacerLode likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

I did have a 2001 that the guy swore was bone stock just as he bought it from Yamaha and it had the disk brake and the kick start but it's the only one I've ever seen with both options supposedly stock
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links