Still haven't bought a TW yet but close...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Still haven't bought a TW yet but close...

Still haven't bought a TW yet but close...

I found a 2008 but it has what I think for a bike, insane mileage, 28,000 miles, he said its been well maintained, what do you all think, is that just too high for a newer year bike?
    Get something exciting between your legs.......a Suzuki!Hidden Content

To each their own but, for me, upon finding out the mileage, that would make me immediately move on or have a very low $$ in mind if it wasn't there already. That being said...I've read on the forum that some guys have quite a bit of miles on their bikes and still going strong. Best of luck!

I didn't mention, its an XT250 not a TW.... what are the thoughts of an XT vs TWs, I love the tires on the TW but like the looks, digital display, rear disk brake, larger engine and height of the XT as I'm 6'01......

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

TW's are in a league of their own. You might check out adventure riders forum. I think they have a link for your bike. Look under "thumpers" for single cylinder bikes.

These little puttarounds are like the jeep of the motorcycle world, like the old ones, slow and dependable.
    Last edited by plumbstraight; 02-14-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by twlover View Post
    insane mileage, 28,000 miles, he said its been well maintained, what do you all think
    7,000 mi a year isn't too bad, just alot after 4 yrs. The other thing to take into account is how honest is anybody when selling something used? In my experience, nobody has ever said: "I beat it, neglected maintainence, jimmy rigged this, etc. You don't find that stuff out usually till you take care of it or it breaks after you've handed over your hard earned money.

After all that's been said, which bike do you "lust" after? If you buy one 'cause the other isn't available for whatever reason, you WILL question your decision later on.

Whichever route you go, best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by twlover View Post
    I didn't mention, its an XT250 not a TW.... what are the thoughts of an XT vs TWs, I love the tires on the TW but like the looks, digital display, rear disk brake, larger engine and height of the XT as I'm 6'01......
    go to a dealer and check them both out side by side...they are both pretty solid bikes...it really comes down to what you value more...myself i like the TW's simplicity, the parts availability since the design is mostly unchanged over the years and the low to the ground feel...as far as the things you listed, i like the looks of the TW better, i could care less about the display cause i don't look down at it often while riding (mostly to check mileage for gas), the drum brakes aren't the best but they are easy to work on and they stop fine for me, larger engine doesn't really mean anything in this comparison cause it's only a whopping +0.2hp over the TW with an additional 13lbs along with it so the XT should be a little slower judging by the power to weight ratios (see numbers below) and the seat height is only 0.8" higher so it's not that much higher (see numbers below, also i'm 6' by the way)...i will say if i wanted more power i would have skipped right over the xt250 and looked at the wr250r just for the 6th gear and extra ~15hp...but that's just my opinion and i'm not you but i would def go check them both out in person side by side if you can before you make a decision...good luck and let us know what you end up doing

xt - seat height 31.9" , 291lbs wet, 16.2hp...hp/weight 0.0557
    tw - seat height 31.1", 278lbs wet, 16hp...hp/weight 0.0576
    numbers are either from yamaha website or topspeed website

this site may help you...
    http://cycle-ergo.com/
    Last edited by Point37; 02-14-2014 at 10:39 AM.
    Fred likes this.

I sold my 08 Buell last year with 32,000 miles. I bought it new and owned 2 TWs and an XL500 during that time. I would say that is not high mileage, but, I used to ride 20,000+ miles a year. If you can wrench your own and the price is low, buy it. There are however lots of low mile, neglected bikes out there that just sit in garages. Any bike you want to ride requires maintenance.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

This just may be the deciding factor for me....Can anyone verify this statement re: the XT250? "This model is also the only one with a state park certified emission control exhaust aka it's allowed in state parks everywhere! "

The ONLY off road place I have to ride here at the beach are State parks, if that sentence is true (copied and pasted from bike ad) it's a done deal for me, as I yearn to ride these state park trails that go from the sea dunes through the rainforests here at the beach.

I've heard of a "Forest Service Spark Arrestor", which the stock TW and I assume most if not all dual sports have (stock), but have never heard of a "State Park Certified" only mention before, unless they were referencing the Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor. Can you provide a link to the ad you mention, or where it came from if not a computer link?
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I blacked out the contact info so nobody thinks its my bike, as it is a real ad and the owner swares its the only bike State Park Certified!
    XT250.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    I've heard of a "Forest Service Spark Arrestor", which the stock TW and I assume most if not all dual sports have (stock), but have never heard of a "State Park Certified" only mention before, unless they were referencing the Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor. Can you provide a link to the ad you mention, or where it came from if not a computer link?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links