Who knew?
Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Ready to Ride

Thread: Who knew?

Who knew?

I've had my TW about a month and a half now. Took her on a ride to a local ORV park when I first got her and did ok on the green and a few blue trails (see First Dirt thread).

Was really relying on some limited experience of a long time ago, quite a bit of recent street experience, some Mt. Bike experience and some common sense. Decided I am too old to re-learn by trial and error however. Signed up for a Dual Sport Clinic offered by a local rider. The clinic includes a 3 hour slide show and lecture on Friday evening followed by a drill and ride session on Sunday. Sunday's session was postponed on account of rain until at least next month.

So today I reviewed my notes, found a local parking lot that is gravel over hard pack and decided to try some of the drills that had been described. Straight line locking up the front and rear (separately) was not a big deal and I got fairly comfortable rotating the bike by locking up the rear wheel and sliding it to the left (easy) and right (harder). The results were not quite as predictable as I would like but I suppose that is what practice is about.

What totally surprised me was that after some time trying I was able to loft the front wheel of my 200 cc monster to the point where I could get up on a 8-10" obstacle. Had to compress the suspension and then use rebound as well as acceleration to do it, kind of like a Mt. Bike, but get her up I did.
    Who knew???

Looking forward to the next time I can get her out on a trail again.
    Fred, TW-Brian, frehley76 and 1 others like this.

hey R2R,
    good to hear you're out riding and getting ready for the next installment of the sheet iron/cow mountain! was that doc wong's clinic? tony had pretty good things to say about the lecture part. i've thought of taking it just in hopes of picking up a tip or two.

ride on!
    joe
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links