Considering replacing WR250R with TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Considering replacing WR250R with TW

My wife and I started looking at dual sport bikes a few months ago after I showed her the BBC series Long Way Round. She just stepped on a bike for the first time this last Fall so I wanted to get her something she would enjoy learning to ride off-road, and that led me to the TW and this site.

For myself, I settled on a WR250R because a friend had recently purchased one and I liked it. Also, he is planning to ride the TAT this summer and I was loosely considering going with him...

Flash forward a few months to now.

Due to schedule constraints, I am fairly sure I'm not going to be able go with my buddy this summer. Also, I have found that the speeds we ride when I am with my wife (she is fairly timid on the bikes) on her TW, I am perfectly happy and don't really feel the itch for more speed the way I thought I would...

So I'm considering replacing the WR with a TW for myself. I like the idea of doing little dual sport trips on matching T-dubs, just putting along down some county roads here in TX.

Basically this really just boils down to another post musing about how great these little TW's are haha...

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    littletommy likes this.

the Coastal Empire (i.e. islands outside Savannah)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    I showed her the BBC series Long Way Round.
    So good! Make sure you also watch Long Way Down where they regroup and ride from Scotland to Cape Town, South Africa. (Both are on Netflix for the uninitiated)

Bike wise what can I say, you are here and "thinking about it" so I'd say you are already hooked. Borrow her bike and get some saddle time on it to make sure then do it. It a couple months you can tease your buddy when he also swaps to the mighty Dub.
    Forever grateful for all your help brother
    2005 TW wrecked in ‘14 and rebuilt in ‘17. ‘06 donor parts and new OEM, Carb jetted & shimmed, ‘04 XT225 gas tank, UNI air filter, Shinko 241 front, modded Krator pegs, IMS folding shifter, JT 14/47 sprockets, huge car horn, tool tube, DR8EIX plug, short rear signals, Cycleracks rear, All Balls steering bearings, Protaper ATV High bars, OEM Kickstarter with more to come...

It's funny how these little bikes worm their way into your heart cause they are so much fun to ride, I really have never had so much fun on a bike as I do this one. I can hardly wait to get my wife one. She just started riding so I think she will be better off on the little kd 100 for now, but I think I will buy her a tw for her birthday this year.
    maddawgj likes this.
    87tw,08 klr650,00dr200,76tl250,73cl175 scrambler,75tl250,76tl125,1960 cushman trailster,

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I dont think you would be disappointed. The little tw can keep up in most places and its really easy to ride and work on. Its a totally different demon than a wr250. I think the tw's biggest advantage is the fat tires. On curvy pavement it feels more like a little sportbike than a dirtbike. 8,000 miles on my rear tire and still going strong. Any questions just ask us.
    Fred likes this.

I agree with everyone.

Excellent suggestion maddawg. I didn't list it, but we also watched Long Way Down, and Faster, Fastest, One Week, The Fastest Indian and anything else on Netflix that was motorcycle related.

We went and took the MSF course in August because a girl friend of ours was going and didn't want to take it alone. I thought it would be fun, and we had always had on our bucket list (not in the near future) to do a road trip on a URAL. My wife had zero interest in piloting, she just wanted to ride in the sidecar.

Well, 10 minutes into the riding portion of the class I look across the parking lot and see the expression on her face and knew it was over... She's motorcycle crazy now and has a Suzuki TU250X for the street and now the TW for off-road/dual sport. She's the one always looking for motorcycle movies haha.

Rob

I've been riding my Muley (2007 TW) since 2007 and would NOT get rid of her even for a second... However, about 3 months ago I got a WR250R after a buddy of mine let me try his during a ride. I love BOTH... Totally different purposes in dual sporting as far as I'm concerned. For deep sand, narrow canyons, and just putting around and exploring my TW is PERFECT. Now if I want to ride a distance to get to a ride (especially on the highway), go faster during the ride, then my WR is what I take. The 6 speed tranny, the much more state of the art suspension, and fuel injected engine are sweet. I put a cycleracks rack on my WR which allows me to move my bag from one bike to the other and enjoy both. So, the moral of my story - Keep your WR and also get a TW. <grin>
    Last edited by JS5owner; 02-15-2014 at 09:00 AM.
    2007 TW "Muley": Cyclerack rear, 55 tooth rear sprocket, Duro Power Grip & Shinko SR241, Clarke tank, Ricochet bash plate, Mule hitch pin quick seat removal, Trail Tech Vapor w/ Dashboard, hardwired Garmin 60csx & 205w, 12vdc adaptor, independent high beam off/on and signal beeper, modified seat.

2000 Yamaha V-star 650 Custom - [sold]

2009 Yamaha WR250R - "Willie Boy" the slimmer faster brother of my Muley.

2009 Hidden Content . Wow, what fun on the highway!

well I will also say the same things.

1. love your wife that rideS!
    2. keep what you have and buy the tw
    3. if #2 is not possible, then evaluate if the tw will fit you, I read no mention of your size (height, weight or inseam). I am 5'8" 190 lbs and 30 in inseam, and it fits me ok, I will add hwy pegs and a atv high handle bars, and it will be great.
    4. If you do not need speeds over 60 then the tw is a good bike, if you want faster of need to jump longer higher, then the 250 is better, of course 100 mph is tenere territory.
    5. Enjoy!!

Damasovi

Robbo, "One Week" and "Closer To The Edge" and this mellow one from 68.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

I like the way you guys think... But we already have 4 bikes, plus 3 cars... If you add in all the other machinery and toys (we live on acreage) and my head is already spinning trying to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs on everything haha.

I am really enjoying her being excited about this hobby. The one I came from before this (corvettes), she went along with it "because I liked it" but wasn't really that excited about it on her own..I'll find her shopping online for gear etc for the bikes. Too cool.

Thanks for the movie recommendations. We'll check them out!

Rob

Smitty Blackstone likes this.

I have considered doing the opposite but the tw is so relaxing to ride. It's like your riding a scooter but you don't have people laughing at you!
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links