Newbie saying hello
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Newbie saying hello

Newbie saying hello

New to the forum. I don't have a tw200 yet. I haven't ridden for about 25 years and feel the TW will be perfect to get back into the saddle. There are lots of logging roads in my area to ride but most my ridding will be on pavement. The new bikes should be available at my local dealer around the end of March.

Do any of you folks carry survival gear when in the back country? I would hate to run out of gas on the other side of the mountains around here.

Gerry
    Hoot Gibson and PlacerLode like this.

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    Welcome Gerry. While I don't have a need to carry survival gear where I ride, I can see where it would be a great idea for others. The fuel capacity is one of the biggest shortfalls of our trusty steeds. There are various methods of remedying that problem. I am going with a larger gas tank as I believe that the extra weight should be carried close to the frame between your legs and closer to the center of gravity. Others will chime in with their ideas and solutions. You have discovered one of the best forums on the net. The folks here are respectful, and extremely helpful. Be warned, it is addicting. Rubber side down, Dave
    Hoot Gibson, Fred and williamemack like this.

Thanks for the reply Dave.

I'm also thinking along the lines of getting a Spot gps messenger. With it you can send out email messages to your friends or press the emergency button and get help no matter where you are in the world.

A few months back a friend of mine was riding an old logging road about fifteen miles from here. He came off his bike and broke his leg. He managed to get his bike started and although his bars were bent he managed to ride out to the main logging road. No cell signal where he crashed. He said a pickup truck passed him on the main logging road and stopped down the road. I don't know if it was pride or stupidity but he didn't ask for help and rode his bike back along the highway to home about 20 miles. He went to emergency the next day and lucky for him it was a clean break. So he will ride another day after repairs to his bike.

Lesson learned I hope. I doubt if anyone even knew where he was. He's a bit of a hermit and would not be missed for some time.

Gerry
    Fred likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Welcome Gerry! I don't have a need for survival gear where I'm currently located/riding but if I lived in your neck of the woods, here are some items I'd be inclined to carry (beware, I've been known to overload my backpack when hiking):

My list of "MUST" carry if it's more remote (a good deal of this stuff could be worn in a backpack or shoved into a tool tube):

1. SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger - gives you a fairly inexpensive way to let others know you're in trouble and where you are.
    2. A good "shake" type flashlight (never needs batteries) like this one: Nightstar jP LED shakelight magnetic shake flashlight
    3. Space Blanket or two - to keep you warm/dry
    4. Paracord - can be made into bracelets or whatever and used later to tie stuff up or help in creating a temporary shelter.
    5. Small roll of "Gorilla" tape.
    6. Good knife and a multi-tool.
    7. Good (reliable) lighter
    8. Water and/or water purification filter/tablets.
    9. Mid to high caliber pistol (.357mag, .40, .44mag, .45/410 revolver, .50) - protection from bears, wolves, etc.
    10. JB weld type epoxy stick.
    11. Energy bar(s).
    12. Small emergency medical kit (bandages, pain meds, hydrocortizone cream, antibacterial wash and ointment, needle and thread for stitches).

My list of "Luxury" carry:

1. Hatchet
    2. Entrenching tool
    3. Winch rope and pulleys - must understand mechanical advantage!
    4. Extra socks
    5. Comfortable shoes (I ride in MX boots when offroad).
    6. Toilet paper
    7. Poncho
    8. Change of clothes
    9. More food/water
    10. Small "wind up" type radio - distract you from worry should you be waiting for rescue.
    11. Small firestarter type log.

Things I would do to/for the TW (I'm not responsible for your decision(s)):

1. GET A KICKSTARTER
    2. Install a sturdy rack (cycleracks) because you can use it to carry stuff or move the TW with it.
    3. Put "ride-on" in tires.
    4. Bring extra tubes.
    5. Replace aesthetic/junk/non-functioning stock skidplate
    6. Install barkbusters (saves your levers in a fall).
    7. Bypass the kickstand safety switch
    8. Bring a small air pump.
    9. Put a fuel filter between the tank and carb.
    10. Aftermarket gas tank
    11. Folding shift lever

One last thing... Make sure you get the tool kit with your TW. Some dealers forget to put them in and some people never had one when they sell theirs used.

Not too sure of the laws up there but I would absolutely have a Glock 40 or larger as the #1 survival tool. Satellite GPS or communicator sounds like a great tool as well. I normally go around 80 miles before I hit the reserve but this is highly questionable when you go off road just plunking around on trails. I think I would want at least a one gallon extra tank or a different Clark tank with far more capacity. You could easily sell a brand new stock take off tank for far more than a new Clark one will cost. Last but not least I would always file some sort of flight/ride plan with friends or family telling them the general area you will be riding in and an approx. time you should be back. That would be difficult if you are like me because I am subject to take just about any interesting trail I find along the way.

Get the new TW first and give it at least 500 miles of easy break in before you take off on deep woods adventures. Any mechanical issues will most likely show up in the first 500 miles so you don't want your carb or some dumb thing going south while you are far north.

GaryL
    Fred, naluboy and Dubzha like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Spot is excellent emergency beacon for an serious injury but you should be prepared to wait. Newer Family Service Radios have good range and might raise someone close to assist.First aid, painkillers, anti-inflamatories, spare warmth, fire starter, can help you limp home or endure while waiting for help. Maps, gps, situational awareness avoids getting lost. A few tools can help a self rescue should bike let you down. I always carry some rope , tape, zip-ties, flat fix. All depends on how remote you are going.

I used a SPOT when I walked across the Sahara. It was new and novel then. It interfaced with Google Earth and allowed friends and family to follow my progress. But I never kidded myself, beyond displaying my route the only other thing it might have done was help family find my bones. That of course probably isn't the case here in the United States and Canada. Most likely someone would eventually come get you. It's an old rule but a good rule: never count on a rescue. Go prepared.
    Fred, Hoot Gibson and Dubzha like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

All good advice above, even if we may sound paranoid. Just don't rely on technology for someone to come rescue you. Here in states many folks think a cell phone is all they need to save them.

Thanks guys. That is all good advice and I don't think you are paranoid. I already have a pack with most of the equipment mentioned. First aid kit, fire starting materials, folding saw, paracord, small tarp for cover,,signal mirror, gps etc. I'm afraid the Glock is out. Very hard to get a hand gun permit in Canada and then only to carry from home to firing range. I would like to get the Spot because in these mountains you quickly run out of cell coverage.
    All I have to do is take my boat up the inlet and turn at nine mile point and I'm out of cell coverage.

You might be interested in my xmas present this year. Just tried it in my yard so far but am looking forward to taking it out in the bush. It's a twig stove that produces it's own electricity and will charge a cell phone or rechargeable gps using a USB port.

I would upload a picture if I knew how.
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Thanks guys. That is all good advice and I don't think you are paranoid. I already have a pack with most of the equipment mentioned. First aid kit, fire starting materials, folding saw, paracord, small tarp for cover,,signal mirror, gps etc. I'm afraid the Glock is out. Very hard to get a hand gun permit in Canada and then only to carry from home to firing range. I would like to get the Spot because in these mountains you quickly run out of cell coverage.
    All I have to do is take my boat up the inlet and turn at nine mile point and I'm out of cell coverage.

You might be interested in my xmas present this year. Just tried it in my yard so far but am looking forward to taking it out in the bush. It's a twig stove that produces it's own electricity and will charge a cell phone or rechargeable gps using a USB port.

I would upload a picture if I knew how.
    Gerry
    What about a home defense style 12 gauge shotgun? Are they allowed?

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links