Attracted to smaller cc bikes
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Attracted to smaller cc bikes

Attracted to smaller cc bikes

Obviously everyone here has some interest in smaller engines. As I look at what I have owned in the past, I have always leaned towards small displacement engines (cb360, cl350, cl175, xl250, tx500) The biggest was my cbr600 and I just wasn't into the ride on this bike.
    As I wait here to finally buy my tw200 (waiting for my settlement check from a motorcycle wreck). I have been thinking about how most people I know give me crap when they here what I own or plan to buy. It seems there is also this "cult" that thinks if you are going to buy a motorcycle, you need to be able to do 200mph on the street and 160mph down a single track dirt trail. I am quite the opposite. I really don't like going over 75-80mph on a bike. I enjoy the ride, smell and like to hear the road/engine. I also like to enjoy the view. Not see it whizzing past me. I am also picking up a Ninja 250r so I can enjoy the sport riding side of things. Small bike? Yeah, for some 21 year old. For myself, just right. I live in a rural area and riding on the freeway never happens. Even my tx500 never gets above 65mph.

So what's my point here? I don't know if I really have one. Just my thoughts on smaller bikes and why I love them. I'm not part of the crowd that looks to see who has the largest belt buckle. I think there is a beauty in a smaller more sleek designed bike.

The end.
    Dubzha, Tirebiter, r80rt and 2 others like this.
    2015 Yamaha Bolt
    Coming Soon...TW200

I've read other post like this and I'm going to ramble for a minute.

The majority of people will never understand why some of us would rather have fun than worry about standing out in the crowd. That majority also typically lacks imagination, creativity and definitely pluck. Some people like to be limited and ignorantly follow like sheep. I pity them because they only see what others have seen or experienced. I'd rather have a smile on my face with bugs in my teeth, bruises, scrapes and cuts than be a spectator or laugh at someone having fun and be more like a bleeting sheep. I cannot understand how someone can enjoy being un-special or marginal. Aren't whole subsets of society fighting marginalization? Misery loves company and your "friends" would gain temporary comfort from you abandoning your happiness to join them. I try to avoid the helplessly miserable and am selective about them who I let know me. Going further; Who has ever said, heard or thought this: "he/she is so _____________(fascinating, captivating, appealing, attractive; amusing, entertaining, stimulating, intriguing) because they're so ____________(dull, tedious, monotonous, monochrome, unexciting, unimaginative, uninspiring, lackluster, plain-vanilla, white-bread, etc,.)?

Fast is cool till you lose your license (due to speeding) and end up riding the bus. I love this signature and it pretty much sums it up: "I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you" - Lizrdbrth. Simplicity is an art form not everyone can appreciate. - Me

Keep your head up! If you enjoy what you're doing and aren't at risk of being arrested, you're doing it right AND people will be jealous.
    Dubzha and Tirebiter like this.

I don't know that I can say I am attracted to small bikes per se. In fact, I can pretty well assure you if they put a 350 in a TW I would ride that rather than the 200, but they don't and so I don't. I am attracted to the TW though. I'm just not sure it really has all that much to do with engine size. It's the total trail bike package that works for me. When I'm on one it's 1968 again and I'm riding my Honda 50 Mini Trail after school. The world slows down. I can afford the gas, I don't have to worry about a payment, and I can stop and have a chili dog with mustard and onions if I want. No place to be and no hurry to get there. That defines the TW. My other bikes really don't put me in that world the same way. I love them too, just differently.

That being said, one of my dream trips is riding a 125cc Russian Minsk around Vietnam and down the Ho Chi Minh trail. And for that particular trip, the small bike is truly important to the experience.

I love big belt buckles.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

+1 on the 350! Make mine 6sp so it could cruise 65-70mph and retain a great crawl gear (no thanks on the dual sprocket setup). I can keep it at a prolonged 65 now but I absolutely hate screaming this engine. Adventures would be more fun if leaving to go home could be put off a while longer.

I have always been fascinated by tiny tiny engined motorcycles that go like stink! In years back there was a catagory of Grand Prix racers with 50 cc engines. I read about them everywhere I could. Finally in 2003 I was able to get to Bike Week in Daytona for the Antique Races - and sure enough - the drifting smell of Steen C two stroke oil wafting over the stands and a couple of Kriedler racers on the track - screaming along at 80 or 90 miles an hour - music to my soul.
    For example (50 cm³, record: 210,634 km/h 23.10.1965 Utah/USA) Yes that does read 210.634 Km/hr - please see File:ZweiRadMuseumNSU Kreidler Zigarre.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I don't know that I can say I am attracted to small bikes per se. In fact, I can pretty well assure you if they put a 350 in a TW I would ride that rather than the 200, but they don't and so I don't.

I love big belt buckles.
    350cc is still small. Big belt buckles have their place.
    2015 Yamaha Bolt
    Coming Soon...TW200

Quote Originally Posted by JGillespie View Post
    Obviously everyone here has some interest in smaller engines. As I look at what I have owned in the past, I have always leaned towards small displacement engines (cb360, cl350, cl175, xl250, tx500) The biggest was my cbr600 and I just wasn't into the ride on this bike.
    As I wait here to finally buy my tw200 (waiting for my settlement check from a motorcycle wreck). I have been thinking about how most people I know give me crap when they here what I own or plan to buy. It seems there is also this "cult" that thinks if you are going to buy a motorcycle, you need to be able to do 200mph on the street and 160mph down a single track dirt trail. I am quite the opposite. I really don't like going over 75-80mph on a bike. I enjoy the ride, smell and like to hear the road/engine. I also like to enjoy the view. Not see it whizzing past me. I am also picking up a Ninja 250r so I can enjoy the sport riding side of things. Small bike? Yeah, for some 21 year old. For myself, just right. I live in a rural area and riding on the freeway never happens. Even my tx500 never gets above 65mph.

So what's my point here? I don't know if I really have one. Just my thoughts on smaller bikes and why I love them. I'm not part of the crowd that looks to see who has the largest belt buckle. I think there is a beauty in a smaller more sleek designed bike.

The end.
    What year is your TX ????? I had a 1973.. I loved that bike.. I have a triumph America and my beloved Tw 200.. Of the two, I always pick the dub to ride anywhere within 50 miles from home........ It's just plain fun.. OMM.

My TX is a 74. They were only made in the TX model 2 years. 73-74. Mine looks nothing like a stock TX though. I built it into a brat style.....then I was rear ended and it was totaled. Rebuilt it again and here's how it looks now. I had a 2002 Triumph Tiger about 6 months ago and though it was cool. I didn't really enjoy riding it so I sold it. Was a cool triple though.WP_20140206_003.jpg
    2015 Yamaha Bolt
    Coming Soon...TW200

Personally, I think to ride our beloved TW's and all the simplicity that comes along with it, that has been previously mentioned...shows strength of character!
    This is the bike we chose.We may have other bikes as well but we certainly chose to own and ride a TW regardless of what anyone else says or thinks...
    To steal a phrase from a surf movie..."the best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun!"
    JGillespie, CJ7_TW and damasovi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by naluboy View Post
    To steal a phrase from a surf movie..."the best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun!"
    Amen Brother, you get 2 thumbs up from me with an attitude like that anyday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links