Inexpensive range extender
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Inexpensive range extender

Inexpensive range extender

A dual sport riding clinic I am participating in will be going on a practice drill / and 140 mile ride. For those of us with limited range it was suggested to either bring some tubing and find someone with a large dual sport to get some fuel from or bring extra fuel. I am a little nervous about tying a can of gas on the back of the TW as I am concerned about its coming off or bursting and igniting in the event of a get-off.

Thanks to a posting on this forum I ordered a $20.00 water proof case to serve as a top box a few weeks ago. I found it could comfortably hold a 1 gallon gas can and have some space left for some tools and a lunch or whatever. The height of the interior of the box is only slightly higher than the height of the gas can so it required a low profile mounting inside the box. A sheet of foam supplied with the box compresses nicely to hold the can vertically but requires no sharp protrusions into the interior of the box.

The budget was limited (I am cheap) so I used some scrap 1/4" X 2" oak flooring planks I had in the garage. Carriage bolts from the inside provide a smooth low profile in the interior and some glued up oak spacers compensate for the rise at the end of the rack. Another oak strip, some fender washers, lock washers and nuts clamp the whole thing to the rack from below. Strips cut from an old inner tube serve to cushion and protect all the clamping and clamped to surfaces. The whole thing comes off easily by removing the 4 nuts and washers. Lateral positioning and cushioning are provided by additional foam that came with the case. Total outlay was about $40.00 including the box and the fuel can.

The results are as below.

Open Box.jpg

Closed Box.jpg

Top mount.jpg

Bottom mount.jpg

TW with Box.jpg

Good idea and a lot cheaper than a Clarke aftermarket tank.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Was this Doc Wong's riding clinic? Are you guys going to Clear Creek / New Idria? Let me know where you parked your trailer / truck. Take pictures.

Or if possible could you make a GPS track of your ride. I would be very interested in it. Thanks.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Was this Doc Wong's riding clinic? Are you guys going to Clear Creek / New Idria? Let me know where you parked your trailer / truck. Take pictures.

Or if possible could you make a GPS track of your ride. I would be very interested in it. Thanks.
    Yes, it is Doc Wong's clinic and yes, we are going to Clear Creek / New Idria. I will undoubtedly take a few pictures and can turn on my Spot Tracker in Track mode to get some GPS coordinates for you.
    We won't go until April as that is the next clinic scheduled after February when the field day was rained out. Why don't you take the clinic and join us?

Quote Originally Posted by scotti158 View Post
    Good idea and a lot cheaper than a Clarke aftermarket tank.
    Yup, but if you have to carry other equipment, the aftermarket tank opens up the luggage space.

R2R, where did you get such a fine watertight box for $20. I want 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ready to Ride View Post
    Why don't you take the clinic and join us?
    I have taken the lecture part of the course but didn't go for the ride. To cold and days to short!

I thought you were going to go in the very near future, like next weekend. I plan on taking a mid week ride to that area in a month or so that I why I asked for tracks but chances are I will be there before you.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

...and use code ST311 to get it down to $20. They're nice cases for the money.

I think they will still take the order & ship when available.
    Last edited by Tirebiter; 02-23-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OurDee View Post

On back order. expected in 84 days.
    So much for that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ready to Ride View Post
    Yes, it is Doc Wong's clinic and yes, we are going to Clear Creek / New Idria. I will undoubtedly take a few pictures and can turn on my Spot Tracker in Track mode to get some GPS coordinates for you.
    We won't go until April as that is the next clinic scheduled after February when the field day was rained out. Why don't you take the clinic and join us?
    I rode Clear Creek on one of Doc Wong's clinics about 10 years ago before they closed it to off-road vehicles. I didn't realize that any of it had been reopened. How much of it will be accessible for this ride?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links