One new TW or 2 old ones
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: One new TW or 2 old ones

One new TW or 2 old ones

Another thread got me thinking about pre-2000 TW's vs a NEW one. It occurred to me that at $4,250.00 for a new 2014, one could buy/fix-up two pre-2000's for about the same price. In fact, that's what I did. I got a "killer" deal on a 1998 but even if it had needed an upper engine rebuild, I would still be way under $4,000.00 for two very good bikes. That's doing the work myself. The math doesn't work if you need to use a shop.
    Hoot Gibson and GaryL like this.

twice the fun!...

I don't have $4K into both my bikes ('95&'08) even with the farkles. When bought they had 900 & 300 miles on them. I got the second one for my wife but she doesn't ride much so I've made each one unique and for different purposes. At least that's my story. All addicts are full of excuses as they move further into their addictions..... aren't we?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you have the talent/skill I think you would be wise to do the double vs the new ride...but if you are like me....not so much All thumbs when it comes to that repair/mix match thingy

Only 2?

Two. The first letters of two are TW. My '11 sleeps better now that I got an '06 playmate.
    GaryL likes this.

If you are DIY and willing to scrounge parts then two old ones is the answer. If not then get a new one.

I have two old ones and figure total investment is up to $2K -- maybe $2K.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I would say your numbers are pretty darn close Fishguy. I have a 91 and an 88 with total initial cost of $1400 and $750. Leaving out the farkles I added to the 91 and just counting the stuff that needed or should be done, New tires and tubes, clean and rebuild the carbs, new batteries, new X ring chains and sprockets and oil and filters. I have a bit over $3,000 in both to bring them back to bone stock and ready to ride with reliability. When you start adding the other stuff, cycle racks, hand guards, seat covers, oil coolers, Jimbo shields, bars and or risers, foot pegs, new shock springs, skid plates and some other farkles you can blow right past your "2 Old for the price of 1 New- $4,250.

Now if you pay yourself just $10/hour for the labor and love you put in them the price tags goes up like the national debt. If you are not a DIY guy and have to pay a shop then I can tell you straight up to just go buy the new one and pay the shop labor rate and just go ride a while and pick up some DIY skills along the way. TW owners who can't or won't do the normal maintenance and have to rely upon the $75/hour+ shop rates better have deep pockets if they plan on turning lots of miles on the clocks and even deeper pockets if those miles are hard ones.

I would love to hear some real numbers on what a shop charges to adjust the chain, change the oil and filter and clean and rebuild a carb. I bet at least $300 plus the parts they will hose you on.

GaryL
    fishguy likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I'm weighing in with new or nearly new. I like to putt backroads where I need to be street legal and that means license, registration, and insurance. I would not want to pay that on two bikes. Nor do I desire to pay for parts for two bikes. But mostly I can only ride one. So, I would go new or nearly new. That would change of course if I only had the money for a single used bike, but as I understood the question, new bike or two used bikes that cost as much as a new bike...in other words, same expenditure.
    cabinetmaker likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I bought my 1995 TW in 2000 for $1,400. My teenage son and I ran it to DEATH. Then it sat for 10 years before I got around to rebuilding the upper end and replacing all the broken parts. That cost about $500.00. So, $1,900.00 for a very good 1995. Not a great deal but lots of fun doing the work. If I would have needed to spend the $500 at a shop, I probably would have scrapped the bike.

The 1998 we just found for $750. It only needed some TLC, a new chain, and some misc. nuts and bolts. Less that $50.00, so far. So, in reality, I am into two TW's for about $2,700.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links