How do you find the build date of a TW200? Negotiating a "new" bike...
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How do you find the build date of a TW200? Negotiating a "new" bike...

How do you find the build date of a TW200? Negotiating a "new" bike...

I think that instead of buying one of the ragged-out used bikes around here, I may just focus on getting out of CC debt until summer comes around, and then buy a new one. I suspect that some of the bikes on the showroom floors have been there a few years, and would like to know if there is a way to figure out the build date. A sticker or VIN code that might give it away, would help me negotiate the price.

Also, what sort of out-the-door prices are people finding, especially on old-inventory bikes?

The build date should be right on the tag with the VIN. Look on the headstock. (at least I think it's called a headstock)
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Rite next to horn on main frame down bar. White sticker with month and year

Last edited by Holdnon72; 03-01-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    2013 TW200 Ims super stock pegs,zeta pro bend xc hand-guards,manrack,zeta muffs,Gerbing ultra light heated gloves

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I just relized my bike is a Scorpio like me!
    Fred likes this.
    2013 TW200 Ims super stock pegs,zeta pro bend xc hand-guards,manrack,zeta muffs,Gerbing ultra light heated gloves

Wow, fast response! Thanks guys!

Good steategy Riskeverything, but also keep eye out for private party sale of low milage TW. People find some amazingly good deals on lightly used TWs. Try posting craigs list wanted adds in a broader geographic area. Even if you have to rent a pick-up or trailer when you go look at used TW you are dollars ahead of depreciation on a new or last years model from a dealer.

DLT
    I've only bought one bike off the showroom floor, (a KLR) and we couldn't quite agree on a price we both could live with, so I told him I'd pay his number if he threw in a new helmet and the first oil change. We were both satisfied with that.

If you need any gear, you might give that a try.

DLT
    Fred likes this.

This is a tough area for "cheap" TWs. The only one I found in town was a "rode hard and left out wet" 27,000 mile 2007 that had obviously been crashed offroad a few times, and he wanted $1650 for it. That was the cheapest one I've seen, too. I live in FL near Tampa, so the geological area is smaller than you'd expect. There are no mer-men selling TWs to the West of me, and there is only land for 3 hours to the East of me. I use Search Tempest set to a 500 mile radius and that basically just covers FL.

The reason for considering a new bike from the dealer is so I can make payments. I'll be rather broke by the time summer gets here as I am literally throwing every available dollar against my credit cards in an effort to get out of debt. Yes, I know a payment plan equals debt, but some dealers are offering no money down, $100 month ( 2013 YAMAHA TW200 DUAL PURPOSE ). That is nothing compared to the $750/month I'm shelling out now. I would also like to have a warranty as it'll be my first bike, I barely even know how to ride, and I've never worked on a motorcycle before. I'd leave it mostly stock until the warranty ran out and parts start wearing out.

Just a opinion from a "old fool" ....pay off those f***ing Credit Cards, cut em' up and don't look back....I have one Discover Card and a Gas Card.....and leave ZERO on them each month, unless something major comes up.....learned the hard way 30 years ago...."Cash is King" Because I have been there and done that....I plan on dying broke, but out of debt

I've already paid off and shredded one, and the last will be paid off and shredded by June. Then a bit of a bank loan to be paid off by December, and I am "debt free" besides some "school loans".

Trying to repair and sell the Honda (88 Wagovan) and finish assembling the Jeep ('88 Comanche) and maybe sell it, too. Then decide where and how I want to live and move there.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links