TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Fishing with your Tw

10K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
i plan on doing more fishing this year and getting to spots i couldnt get to with my truck, i need some ideas for mounting a rod or 2 with out to much hassle. any pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
I use telescopic rods with reels and tackle intact and assembled collapsed in my backpack. The action is not as lively as a two piece or one piece but sure is fast and convenient for local trout fishing. I have seen pvc tubes mounted under subframe holding take-down rods and a few sectional fly rods in soft cases that could be strapped across handlebars.

#9 ·
Great question and Ideas....I plan on using the new 2014 for not only remote {somewhat} fishing, but also on warmer/ sunny days to haul my umpire gear to games {less than 30 miles away}...that is why I pre purchased the rear rack...big enough for my ump gear and fishing...I like the tube Idea in the original photo however for hauling poles....

:cool:

#13 ·
TWs and remote fishing is what it's all about for me. Up here in the NY Catskills we have lots of nice trout streams with hard to reach back sections few guys ever hike in to. The browns and rainbows ever go much over 20 inches and the brookies might be monsters at around 15 inches. I use a 4 piece ultra light rod by Silstar and a Daiwa XIA 1500 real with 4 pound test. Boy is it fun when I hook a good one and he/she has a fighting chance. I attached a plastic milk crate on the rear cycle rack that my 35 pound Brittany fishing pal rides in and I always take a small cooler with ice for a couple brews and the fish on the way home. I have a wife who does good things for fresh caught trout and a fishing pal dog who won't allow me to leave home without her.

GaryL

#15 ·
Ideal setup for an ideal day out.I'ld need a sidecar to take my dogs out, but then I would have to buy them doggles.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I've broken way too many rods while transporting on motorcycles. Investing in a top-of-the-line pack rod preserves some good action, but the more sections, the harder it is to find good feel. I mostly fish ultralight and I have a couple rods small enough to fit in 3-inch PVC pipe if the reel is removed.

#19 ·
See if you can find a Jason Mitchell, Elite Series, light action pack rod qwerty. I prefer ultra light rods but this one is a very nice feel at 6' 4" and brakes down to 4 pieces at 20 inches long when packed. I don't find any loss of action and that is hard with four piece rods. Jason Mitchell is not associated with Garcia Mitchell.

GaryL

#20 ·
The bottom 2'' PVC tube holds my 4 piece rod. Reel and tackle store in my top box. Easy- peasy and cheap. Pretty sure you could easily attach one to a Cyclerack.

#23 ·
Hey dubster, how much for a couple of tubes? Shipping included. Two the same size as the top tube.

#24 ·
MCC1776

You could probably make 2 tubes for the price of shipping alone from up here in Nova Scotia to Texas. Just go to your local hardware store and get a 4' length of 3" PVC tubing, a couple of end caps, some glue and 2 test plugs. Cut the pipe to the desired length, glue on an end cap,tighten the test plug on to the other end and attach to your rack. I find stainless hose clamps do a good job for that. I tethered the test plugs to the tubes after losing one.
If you can't source the test cap locally I can ship a couple to you for cost but like I said shipping from Canada is bloody expensive.

If I was retired and had more time I would gladly deliver.:D

#25 ·
Like Dubster says, really easy to make. I would be surprised if your local Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards didn't have a variety of sizes of test plugs. They come in metal or plastic. On the larger tube you can actually fit a cap inside for a more streamlined look if you want. This isn't the best picture to illustrate, but it's all I have handy. The cap is glued inside the tube, and on this particular tube/cap combination it fits perfectly. Not all sizes of PVC will work out that way, but it's easy to experiment in the store. One note on the PVC. It may actually be cheaper to buy an 8' piece. My local Home Depot wants almost as much for a cut off "handyman" piece as the full size construction length.

View attachment 4227

#26 ·
I don't trust those test caps much and would use a threaded cap instead. You can find all sorts of parts and pieces in your local Home Depot or Lowe's and they also sell hanger straps you can bend and fashion to make a nice clean mount. The possibilities are limitless.

GaryL

#27 ·
I do most of my fishing with a 1 piece Daiwa MiniSpin about 30 years old. I put the reel in the top case, slide the rod into a piece of PVC pipe, and bunjie the pipe down the side of the seat and tank, opposite the muffler. It's great for panfish, but I've also caught some surprisingly big fish on 4-pound Stren XT, the biggest being a 44-pound tarpon out of a creek in North Miami FL.

#30 ·
All my rods are stored in PVC pipes. I have everything from the MiniSpin to bluewater stuff with pulleys instead of guides. Travel is easy and worry free with rods well protected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.