New guy with questions
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: New guy with questions

New guy with questions

Hello everyone, I am new here but by no means new to motorcycling. I am 38 years old and have owned 27 motorcycles in the last 20 years. I have ridden motorcycles in 38 states so far, have hit seven deer and have been hit by a drunk driver in a pick up truck. I currently riding a Buell Ulysses (my 4th) and also own a Suzuki RF600R. I've never owned anything under 350cc's.

When I was a teen, my best friend had a TW 200 and I remember having a lot of fun on that bike. Back then I only weighed a hundred and 20 pounds. Now I weigh 250 pounds and I'm wondering if a TW will work for me now that I'm six feet tall and weigh 250lbs.

I have a guy who wants to trade a 2005 TW for my Suzuki. I am looking for a lightweight dual sport to complement my Buell. Ideally, I was looking for something like a Suzuki DRZ 400 but the TW has always seemed like a cool bike to me.

I know I won't be doing a lot of interstate riding on it but will my weight be a factor for hilly rural roads, trails, hills & such? I know it's not a monster and I'm by no means expecting motor-cross performance. I just want to hear from other tall/heavy TW riders on your opinions.

I want a bike I can load & unload into my truck by myself for when I go camping and have something to tool around on. The Buell weighs over 500lbs, so that gets dicey.

I know these bikes are known to be relatively bullet proof. I just want to know that my fat ass won't be the death of the bike if I take it into the woods. I also want to know that it'll keep up with traffic on hilly rural roads here in ny & pa. (55mph).

Obviously, I'll test ride it before making a deal. But the bike is two hrs away so I want to do my research before heading up there.

Any help, opinions & advice is appreciated!

Here's the TW I'm considering:

Here's the RF600R I might trade for it:

And here's my Buell:

Im 6'1 235 and no problems at all. Handles big guys well. Thinking it's the low end power these little guys have. I ride vtx1800 and I can't seem to get enough of the tw. I'm sure there are bigger guys then that going to chime in.

i'm 250 and have no problems with the tw.there isn't a bike built thats perfect for everything,but for dual purpose low speed riding the tw fits the bill quite well.sometimes low and slow have their own rewards,sightseeing ,saftey,smell the roses so to speak.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm 220, and the TW will haul me at 55 in modestly hilly terrain, but she is working to do it. Great trial bike though.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

sounds like the TW will fit your needs. perfect for camping and tooling around at slow speeds. I load mine in my tall 99 ram 4x4 with no problems. I have a long ramp and just walk it up while using tw engine power.
    Mike Carter. Woodland, California (NorCal). '89 Tw200 (Black Widow Edition). Blood red Jimbo shield, Cycleracks, Nuvi 500 GPS, Kolpin fuel pack jr., D shield bark busters, 55t rear sprocket, Golden boy front tire, Ricochet shield.

I too am on the high side of 260 and 6'. Mine gets me around just fine. Getting rid of those air splitting road bikes might save some broken bones. After losing an elbow to a rock, I don't go any faster than I care to crash.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Average+ size 5' 11" 190 pounds ... short inseam/long body...the one I tested was a perfect fit...that's why I chose to go this route{and thanks to those on this forum} .... the seat height was a plus, but not the main reason I picked the T~Dub Was going to purchase a Kaw kls250 but reading the reports on the T~Dub....and the glowing kudos from the guys on this forum, sold this old geezer.
    Dubzha likes this.

I would make the trade in a Sullivan County second and never look back. You can upgrade the suspension easy enough to handle your weight. The TW won't break any speed records unless you race on some nasty trails where most other bikes won't make it. It is a fun bike and not a racer.

Pro cycle has a heavy duty spring kit for the front and rear if you find it is necessary.

I am right around the corner from you.

GaryL
    frog13 likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I'm the same height as you, but fatter. I cruise on pavement with the stock gearing (14-50) all the time at 55-60 mph. I love the TW.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I'm 6ft 3 and 16.5 stone (we work in stone here) I also have a tw125 which I use off road only.... With 6psi in the front and rear I can still do 50mph across a field you will be fine.

I've also had many bikes and constantly tried to kill my Tw and failed so far

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the bike!
    View my build/off road riding here with lots of pics and vids Hidden Content

Uk TW/ Suzuki LTZ250 off road rider only

Flat out or back out.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links