Old vs new TW
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Old vs new TW

Old vs new TW

Is there really any difference In a new vs older TW? I have an 89 with a few mods and was looking at the new ones in the dealer the other day.. Other than shiney paint they looked identical! Tried and true

Yes, there are a few differences, you see them mentioned here from time to time. The front brakes got upgraded to disc, kick starter went away, for instance. But by and large they remain the same reliable machine they started out being. For me that really is one of the attractions.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Front disc brake, better electrical system, brighter headlight, different carb on the newer bikes. The only negative is no kicker
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hello ya'll.

I'm new here. I just got a 1999 TW200 with 3800mi. It runs good and it is a lot of fun! I am stationed in FT. Gordon and there are a lot of trails on post. I decompress for about 30 mins every day after work on the trails! YEAH!

How many miles should I expect to get out of the engine before it needs a rebuild? Where is the most economical place to order new tires? (The OEM ones.) Do I need tubes in the tires? or just new stems? Can I download the maint/repair manual online for free?, Where?

Any tips on care/maint on the bike will be appreciated.

Thanx,

Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    Hello ya'll.

I'm new here. I just got a 1999 TW200 with 3800mi. It runs good and it is a lot of fun! I am stationed in FT. Gordon and there are a lot of trails on post. I decompress for about 30 mins every day after work on the trails! YEAH!

How many miles should I expect to get out of the engine before it needs a rebuild? Where is the most economical place to order new tires? (The OEM ones.) Do I need tubes in the tires? or just new stems? Can I download the maint/repair manual online for free?, Where?

Any tips on care/maint on the bike will be appreciated.

Thanx,

Pathfinder
    Change the oil often and don't get it too hot, keep the valves and cam chain adjusted and it should last a very long time before rebuilding becomes necessary. I prefer full synthetic Mobil 1 4T racing oil made specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches.

Go to the technical write up section and you can download the service manual there.

The stock rear tire can be bought for right around $100 and a few places do free shipping. You will have to search recent threads over the past month or so and a few guys found some good deals but I don't remember where the best was. As far as the front tire goes I would toss the Bridgestone and go with a Shinko 244 Golden Boy in 5.10 X 18. TWs love this tire on and off the road and it is cheaper than the stock one. These tires take tubes so if you need new tubes get them with the tires. Most of us are using Ride On (Motorcycle) tire protectant and ballancer when we put new tubes and tires on. You will need 3-8 Ounce bottles, 13 ounces in the rear and 7 ounces in the front.

When you wear out the stock roller chain and sprockets it is a good idea to replace them all at the same time. O ring or X ring chains last ten times longer and require a lot less adjusting and maint. You will need new seals when you replace the front sprocket and a side cover gasket. Buy a few oil filters and put an in line fuel filter on it and you should be pretty well dialed in.

There is a new sticky showing the on line suppliers we seem to like the best at the top in Performance and customization, right under that is the front tire thread.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for serving our country, lots of vets here.

GaryL
    Last edited by GaryL; 03-13-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    Hoot Gibson, Tong&Groove and Leben like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Everything GaryL said is spot on. I would probably just go ahead and replace the tubes if you are replacing the tires. Rubber gets old. Be nice to start off with fresh everything. That way you know what you are relying on.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Oh, and just a little FYI. If you are looking at spoked wheels you are most likely looking at tubed tires. There are some exceptions, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.
    GaryL likes this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Obviously there are alot of different places to find and order parts etc but I have had good luck with Motorcycle Superstore...just my .02 cents

Thanks for all the tips! Never though of filling the tires with sealant! My TW got As new o ring chain/sprockets/battery/break shoes ECt about a year or two ago.. Even though the brakes still suck.. Any tips for improving them or making the bike stop rather then just slow down?

Quote Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! Never though of filling the tires with sealant! My TW got As new o ring chain/sprockets/battery/break shoes ECt about a year or two ago.. Even though the brakes still suck.. Any tips for improving them or making the bike stop rather then just slow down?
    The rear brake is the same as far as I know but the front flipped to a disc set up around 2001. Some swear by them while others would quickly trade out the front disc for a kick start that was deleted the same time the disc was added. You can buy all the parts on the auction site but I think it requires different forks, different wheel with disc and the master cylinder and reservoir on the bars. Not sure it would be worth the expense. I have heard it said that its a good thing TWs don't go fast because they don't stop for shit! You can also modify the rear brake rod and lever to the longer ones found on the XT 350 which adds a little leverage in the back.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links