TW on a hitch carrier?
Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: TW on a hitch carrier?

TW on a hitch carrier?

I'm considering a TW200 to carry on a hitch carrier on a motorhome. Figure it would be a good general purpose grocery getter and trail machine when the motorhome is moored in a campground. I have a couple of questions:
    1. How wide, in inches, are the tires? Will they fit between the slots on a hitch carrier?
    2. If the wife wants to tag along, is it really practical to ride two-up for moderate distances and speeds?
    Thanks.

Yep, people do it. If memory serves Rhodetrip may haul that way. As for fit on a carrier, I suppose it depends on the carrier. I believe there are certain ones that are too narrow, and some that fit just fine.

Attachment 4269
    daleewats likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

If the wife wants to tag along, is it really practical to ride two-up for moderate distances and speeds?
    Depends on your wife.

Sure it is. Moderate distances and speeds being the operative language, however, I've met women who could sit back there longer than you could probably sit up front.
    ValorSolo likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

It would be great if someone can give me actual measurements of the width of the tires.

Don't worry too much about the fat tires. They are only wide above the actual tread contact ribbon. I have a JoeHauler rack and it has a standard width tray (4"? - measurements later) and the rear tire fits fine. Like any tray rack, the tire should be tied / belted in so it doesn't bounce out, but width is not an issue in my eyes.
    Even though the tire is wider than the rack its all above the height of the rail edges that the width is excessive. Hope this helps your perspective.

redundancy is tiedowns is important as in any trailer or hitch situation. I recently saw a Honda dropped off the back of an RV because the owner had scrimped with cheap straps and infrequent inspection. Use good stuff or drag your bike. Tom
    Last edited by peruano; 03-14-2014 at 06:29 AM.
    Cascade Rider likes this.
    Tom - TW200 2002, Kawasaki VN 500 2006

Hidden Content

Central New Mexico

My carrier doesn't have a rail or tray like yours. Instead, it has two parallel rails 5-1/4" inches apart. The wheels drop down between these rails, to a lower support, then a pin is inserted through the wheel and rails to really secure the thing. It is possible to carry the bike with the wheels sitting on top of the rails, but this is much less secure. So, I'm hoping the TW's tires are less than 5-1/4" wide.

Sounds like the Harbor Freight carrier. I no longer have stock tires on mine, so I can't help with the actual width but I first hauled it home on the HF carrier with stock tires. No problem.

x2 on not cheaping out on the straps. Been there, done that.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

X3 on straps, in my case it only took a small driveway bump and the front end of my CT90 bounced out of my Tilt-A-Rack.....old style without metal side straps to hold the front tire in place. First bump and the forks compressed and out she went. No damage but a great teaching moment.......I have since modified the carrier so it will never happen again. I now use so many straps that the truck could roll over down a hill and be totaled and my trusty TW would still be hanging back there to get me home.

Rear tire is between 7 and 8 inches wide. Wrap a strap over the rim and outside and under the rails of both tires and it won't bounce out. I have 2 straps with ratchets and no hooks modified just for that purpose. 4 straps and soft ties complete my hookup, and the straps all have nearly full circle hooks, safety latches, and ratchets, not those crappy thumb buttons. They are overkill, but I've never dropped a bike off a trailer or carrier while driving, and twice Tdub found herself holding up someone else's bike, once a KLR and once a BMW.

You will need a receiver or bumper (depending on the type of carrier you have) rated for a 325 pound hitch load (650 with equalizers) to safely carry a TW. Your RV will also need a suspension capable of safely hauling that much weight on the back bumper. You may need to shift some of your other supplies forward to restore balanced axle weights. Weight distribution can make a huge difference in handling.

Last edited by qwerty; 03-14-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Brain Fart

I went with one of the MX Haulers:

IMG_4606.JPGIMG_4607.JPG

I will try a "ramp" type for behind the travel trailer. Then, I will know which I like best. The MX Haulers are $400+ new. Ouch!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links