a new friend
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: a new friend

a new friend

I have a new neighbor that has moved in a couple of years ago. They have a 5yr old daughter that immediatly made friends with me. Her brother never would talk or come over to me when I was in the field mowing or just talk. I was working on my mower putting on a new belt when she came to visit and her brother came. Was surprised that he even had a conversation with me.
    Finished with the repair and went back out. The next day they came back and I asked if he would like to ride a motorcycle. His eyes lit up, Really?, sure just go ask your folks if it is ok. Dad came back and we pulled out my scooter that has all of 5mi on it. Just one of those small rigs with fat tires and a 6hp engine with auto clutch. Showed him how to work it and off he went doing circles in the field with his sister chasing him and the dog barking. Was a classic with dad and mom with cameras out.
    Was nice to break the ice with him and be able to get to know the family a bit better and to know me.
    Kids are special and the girl would always come over when I was mowing. I would shut it down and she would sit on my lap and tell me her days stories. Thought her dad was a bit put off by it. He is a school cop so has it ingrained that all people are to be strangers. Glad that chapter is over.
    joeband, TW-Brian, r80rt and 8 others like this.

You've changed that boys life forever, in a good way. He'll ride for the rest of his days
    admiral likes this.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me, I am that fool!

It was cool for the dad at the time... Now his kids are bugging him day and night to buy 'em a dirtbike. I'm a dad of a 4yr old boy and he already wants one (I want one for him too). My parents wouldn't buy me a dirtbike and they even laugh now about me talking in my sleep as a 4yr old, making vroom vroom sounds and responding to their questions about what I was doing with: "I'm ridin' my dirtbike through the woods".

Back to your story, you got to be the cool guy next door without the high energy, bouncing off the walls "can I go ride" nagging that parents go through after experiences like that. You can always cherish moments that you get to make a kids day like that. Thanks for sharing!
    Fred and SanDue like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
    You've changed that boys life forever, in a good way. He'll ride for the rest of his days
    This!

it's hard to be a frindly neighbour nowdays with all the perverts out there.you can't blame parents for being on guard sometimes.it's good to see kids getting introduced to bikes and other outdoor activitys,hunting, fishing,camping,etc.its gets them outdoors and away from these sometime cursed computors.
    Dubzha likes this.

Sounds like maybe a few pieces of Mayberry are still out there.
    Ya gotta finish the loop, it's your only way out!

Hidden Content

Making friends with neighbors is easy for me. It starts with Hi, and continues with conversations, offers of help, inviting them over... You know, like it was 40+ years ago. Works everytime.

Good for you Plumbstraight.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    it's hard to be a frindly neighbour nowdays with all the perverts out there.you can't blame parents for being on guard sometimes.it's good to see kids getting introduced to bikes and other outdoor activitys,hunting, fishing,camping,etc.its gets them outdoors and away from these sometime cursed computors.
    Thats how we do it in the Boy Scouts. We have a No Electronics rule for all events. Works like a charm.
    ~ Brian

Life's too short to be in a hurry... Ride a T-Dub Hidden Content

2013 TW200
    2004 VTX 1300
    Hidden Content The Spirit of the Lizrd Rolls Forever.

Alway's glad to hear of cautious parents , so many these day's just let the kid(s) roam where-ever .....just to get them out of "their" hair. Glad you made neighbor friends.

Thank you for all the positive feedback. After a bit with her brother having all the fun I took out the TW and she hopped on the gastank and held on to the crossbar as I putted around the field with her brother in chase. Best part of the whole day was the smiles on their faces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links