2013 tw
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By OurDee

Thread: 2013 tw

2013 tw

Hi all, I am the second owner of a TW with 3000 miles on it.
    Was working on it the other day and noticed the boot between head and carb has a lot of cracks in it.
    Yamaha says that is unusual. What caused the cracks? Heat?
    Milo
    Last edited by texroc; 03-20-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Heat would be my guess. With it running, squirt some WD-40 or something similar on the boot. If engine speed changes, the cracks go all the way through. If not, they are just surface cracks and won't bother.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

If it is the rubber part of the boot in which the carb inserts into, this would be unusual with such a new TW.

However, on the portion of the boot which attaches to the head, it is covered either in a hard hard rubber or plastic coating with metal underneath. I just took mine off the other day and it looked cracked as you describe. After removal, I found it was just plastic which flaked off. My guess it was the heat as you mention, no big deal on mine.
    Leben likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I took my TW to an organized ride up a ski mountain in upstate NY. The bike started off running fine and made 2 trips up and down a very rocky and generally abusive ride for the bike. On the 3rd trip up it started running poorly and halfway up the mountain it died. Luckily it was a steep enough grade to get all the way back to the parking lot without starting the bike. When we pulled the carb off I could see all of the cracks in the intake boot. We tried epoxy and a few other poor attempts to salvage the day. Nothing worked and the Yamaha dealer 30 miles away did not stock the part. I don't know if it was the abuse of how rocky it was and the less than stellar suspension on the TW or if it was old age. I do know that it cost us a good day of riding and after I replaced it I now stock a spare boot and O-ring. The previous owner had told me that my bike, a 1999, had sat for quite a while. It seems odd that that could happen on a 2013. Someone please stop me from getting on my soapbox and blaming everything that goes wrong with my fuel systems on ETHANOL!!

ETHANOL, Grrrrrr
    66roadkill66 likes this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Uh-oh.

It is not sucking air. I thought it was a hard plastic but if it is metal I will just ride it. I have it geared down slow and mostly ride off road and no trail. I was in Arizona a month ago and got it hot as a two dollar pistol.
    Guess it cracked the plastic covering. I got a couple of 12 volt fans and will add them.
    Thanks for the helpful replys!
    Milo

Quote Originally Posted by texroc View Post
    It is not sucking air. I thought it was a hard plastic but if it is metal I will just ride it. I have it geared down slow and mostly ride off road and no trail. I was in Arizona a month ago and got it hot as a two dollar pistol.
    Guess it cracked the plastic covering. I got a couple of 12 volt fans and will add them.
    Thanks for the helpful replys!
    Milo
    Yup, mine has the same (apparent) cracks on the flange....no idea when it happened or if it was that way from the factory. I only noticed it after three years....

Dealer showed me that it was only the plastic or paint on the metal flange.
    Rocky
    2018 TW200
    2014 BMW R1200GS LC

Sponosred Links