My week old 2014 tw200... And a little history of myself
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My week old 2014 tw200... And a little history of myself

My week old 2014 tw200... And a little history of myself

Hello all, figured its about time to show you guys what I bought last Saturday! Was tossed between a WR250R or the TW200.... Really tough decision.... Something tried and true and trail fixable, or something fast with lots more suspension & adjusments, but if it breaks on the trail it's going to the dealer

Using it for commuting 17 miles one way to work and back home... And whatever trails I find In between. I Was really torn between being able to take the highway or stuck taking the back roads... In the end, old school reliability won. Plus the amount of knowledge and support found on this forum really helps.

All loaded up and ready to go home. Btw the clutch return spring was not installed correctly, and if I had pliers I would have fixed it, but I had them fix it before I left, so they are still not being installed correctly

Unloaded and sitting in the driveway for its first time... By the time I took this picture it had 9 miles on it and I've already hit 65 mph! Boy what a difference another 150cc makes ( traded in my 2012 Yamaha Zuma 50f... Which was ok... But slow(35mph top speed 39.5 downhill)... My 6'3" 280lb body wasn't exactly fun to tote around on that little guy)

Eventually I hope my gf will want to trade in her 2011 yamaha C3 50cc so we can have a pair of TW200's... First we are both getting our MC endorsements and she will ride mine and see what she thinks about it

Overall the scooter is the most on road riding experience that I've had, and it's a whole nother ball game when you add a clutch to the situation for a beginner... I'm glad I got the tw now after having 20 miles on it ( helmet showed up and had to go test it... Exchanging for a larger helmet... I have sore spots on my head that's how tight it was) I've tried shifting into 6th gear several times now... But it's still ever elusive... I don't think I would feel as safe on the WR250r due to how much taller it is and how much more power is on tap... I'm sure I'll want it some day, just not today

We are a Yamaha family, my gf and I, the first is a 2008 grizzly 700 ducks unlimited with eps, in process of putting it back to stock and selling it... Been in process for over a year now 👎 But it was on 29.5 outlaw tires, gorilla rear axles, pro taper handle bars, hand guards from rod speed, fox risers, Airdam clutches wet clutch delete,snorkels, highlifter rack mounted radiator....rigid industries led lights.... Etc.... All done up in the right places... But we wanted a SXS for more room.... And got the alternative... The Samurai

I didn't want the same power plant in a SXS as my Atv so that plus many other reasons we didn't get a Yamaha SXS ...

Back to Yamaha! Unfortunately I got rid of this one... A 2009 Yamaha FZR 1.8L supercharged 4 CYL.... 210 hp Just because I wasn't riding it much anymore.... It was blistering fast... Turn on a dime.... But again... Ready for something bigger that we can go out on and not have to be in before sundown... No replacement yet... House first

I don't have a picture of the other 2 Yamaha products.... A 2400i generator, and the new Yamaha 3000 psi pressure washer... Both awesome by the way...

I love yamaha's and I'm sure they love me... They've all treated me well with the exception of the Atv... But it had an extended warranty on it that the dealer so graciously had no problem warranting for me.... It was constantly up the just the top of the snorkel or radiator in mud/ water so I can understand it had some issues...

I almost bought a Honda Grom 125 however as my scooter replacement

However after cruising their forums for awhile someone joined and was complaining about the "problems " he was having with an older TW200 ( it just needed someone with the will and time for maintenance) I looked into what they were and found this forum.... Been doing a lot of reading and that's how I fell in love with the TW in all of its simple goofiness.... I can't wait to get some memories on the odometer!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crashking; 03-21-2014 at 06:27 PM.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I think you made the right decision buying the TW. What they lack on the pavement side, they more than make up for on the trails and are a blast to ride.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Good looking bike bro!

I like this years colors.

You're gonna love your TW.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I almost bought a Grom myself, but they aren't easy to mod into a DS.

Enjoy!

I would love to see a quarter mile race between a grom and tw!!

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    65 mph within the first 20 miles sounds a bit aggressive for those brand new piston rings.
    Last edited by williamemack; 03-22-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Nice bike..! Blue is the perfect color for a YAMAHA...!
    I also got my TW just about a month ago..! so welcome...!

Quote Originally Posted by Crashking View Post

By the time I took this picture it had 9 miles on it and I've already hit 65 mph! Boy what a difference another 150cc makes
    Since your bike is brand new unlike mine, i think you should never hit freeway speeds until the Engine Break-in period is over..! manual says to avoid even more than 1/2 throttle operation for prolonged periods for first 1000 miles..! This is very critical for the engine..!

Quote Originally Posted by Crashking View Post
    I've tried shifting into 6th gear several times now... But it's still ever elusive...
    You might have missed the fact, but TW does not have a 6th gear..! It has only five..! yeah, it's kind of annoying..!
    But where i live i can barely hit 100 Kmh (60 mph) and above. There is not enough road except for the main highways...!
    Last edited by indika666; 03-22-2014 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
    65 mph within the first 20 miles sounds a bit aggressive for those brand new piston rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by indika666 View Post
    Since your bike is brand new unlike mine, i think you should never hit freeway speeds until the Engine Break-in period is over..! manual says to avoid even more than 1/2 throttle operation for prolonged periods for first 1000 miles..! This is very critical for the engine..!
    Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Works for me................was told a long time ago that the "break in" method was written by the lawyers, not the engineers.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a ton of troublefree fun on your TW.

Welcome , and yes I believe you made the correct decision (simplicity , mega reliability etc of a TW). This years color scheme is quite appealing.......good choice . Not sure what part of the planet your located ,but , don't forget to look into rejetting the little beast for cooler running and a better running engine ,it's all here on the forum....easy to do too.

Welcome to the fun!

Ronnydog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links