What's the coolest street legal supermoto bike out there?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What's the coolest street legal supermoto bike out there?

What's the coolest street legal supermoto bike out there?

////////////////

I would say the Aprilia SXV bikes, but I think California revoked the registration ability of those. I had an RXV 4.5 and it was a really well made piece of equipment. 55-60 HP of smooth power and about 280 lbs gassed up is hard to beat.

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by mmclaughlin View Post
    I would say the Aprilia SXV bikes, but I think California revoked the registration ability of those. I had an RXV 4.5 and it was a really well made piece of equipment. 55-60 HP of smooth power and about 280 lbs gassed up is hard to beat.

Matthew
    Italian bike?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Yep, Italian.

They borrowed heavily from Honda, so the V-Twin used a pair of Honda 250 Uni-Cam heads. Footpegs and clutch parts could also be pulled from the Honda CRF450, so upgrade parts were available even though very few bikes were made. The side cases were magnesium, the center case halves were scandium, dry sump for extra ground clearance, they really went all out. Every time I did work on the bike, I was impressed with the build quality and the attention to detail.

The bike had an evap cannister mounted to the left side engine cover. You know it would break something in a crash and everyone would take it off, anyway. The evap cannister mounted using extra long case bolts, so your first thought is you will need standard case bolts. Nope, the band clamps holding the cannister to its plastic bracket were mounted with the proper case bolts. They actually gave you all the parts to take the bike to off-road ready condition. There were a lot of little details throughout the bike that made you stop and realize that they had put a lot of thought into making things work. Brass inserts where most manufacturers use plastic pegs, the headlight was off when you turned the key on and would not come on until after you pressed and let go of the starter button. Lots of little details that just add up to quality.

Matthew

Matthew

Per your comment about the Aprilia:

But buyers beware: Riding this bike is the quickest way for you to end up in the back of a cop car. Whether motoring down the road on the back wheel, getting sideways entering a corner, or drifting the rear tire through corner exit, the Aprilia SXV 5.5 is a true hooligan’s dream.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/35/5678/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Aprilia-SXV-5-5-First-Ride.aspx
    Dusty likes this.
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

How about the husqvarnas?

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt1970 View Post
    Per your comment about the Aprilia:

But buyers beware:
    the Aprilia's also had some engine problems in 07 that required engine to be sealed and the starter motors were junk...08+ these issues were corrected

Quote Originally Posted by fandango View Post
    How about the husqvarnas?
    this was my 08 husky sm510r...it was a beast of a bike and so much fun...60hp, 260lbs dry, 6 gears, etc...the power to weight ratio is insane which makes sumos easily the funnest bikes to ride fast...so many good sumo platforms/stock rigs out there...Aprilia, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Yamaha and so on...the most reliable choices would be drz400sm, wr250x, wr426 & wr450...typically the faster they are the more maintenance they require and the less reliable...spend some time over on supermotojunkie.com for more info

Last edited by Point37; 04-09-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    naluboy likes this.

The KTM 690 is a fantastic machine:

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
    The KTM 690 is a fantastic machine:
    the bigger cc engine sumos are not really a true sumo for racing on a dirt track, more of a street/paved track oriented sumo...at just over 300lbs so they are a little heavy for having only 66hp but still a blast of a bike and i think they are a little more reliable than the smaller cc race sumos...unfortunately they are not available in the US anymore but used ones can be found...and the 690 enduro r is the same bike and can be converted...if i was in the market this bike would def be on my short list since it wouldn't need much conversion work...used street legal sumos in the US tend to be a little harder to come by and new ones even harder
    Last edited by Point37; 04-09-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks Ryan...hey, if you don't mind me asking...how much did you sell your Husky for?

And, being that you did have that bike, maybe a silly question but, if you could have any two Supermotos, what would they be?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links