Nostalgia
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Nostalgia

Nostalgia

If you are an old Boy Scout, or even if you were not, you might enjoy this. Go to Google Books and then type in Boys Life Magazine in the search bar along with a date you are interested in, ie: 1942 (the war years are particularly interesting) You will be able to read the full magazine, in scanned form. You can use the tools to kill the search highlights and expand and enlarge the page. Good fun.

Here is an example link. Boys' Life - Google Books
    Point37 likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

i had a subscription to this at one point

I kept a BL subscription from age 6 until 21, then my sons subscribed from my age 31 to 48. Readers Digest, Popular Science, and Popular Mechanics have been around non-stop since before I was born. My parents are avid readers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I still get it to this day because I have been active in Scouting since 1967. It sure has changed though. More like a comic book these days, which is disappointing when you look at the magazines from the 40's and 50's. It is almost as if they now publish to the lowest common denominator of intelligence. Gone are the good war stories, the classic adventures, and the things now deemed not politically correct. Darned thing could be read by a two year old. Sigh.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I have been active in Scouting since 1967.
    i hit eagle and stuck around for a little longer and then college hit and i wasn't able to devote the time to it anymore...i would love to get back into it if i end up having boys in the future cause there are so many things that i learned and had a blast doing in the process so ...i mean where else can you go camping in the woods, hiking, cook on an open fire, learn how to cook a chicken in a cardboard box, light fires at a young age, etc....

Good job Point37. Eagle is for life. Monday I gave a speech on the significance of the Eagle Scout Award, a thing I have done many times by request. Had some real old timers in the crowd, it was fun to have them all stand and be recognized. I enjoy Scouting, always did. As a kid living way out in the country on a farm it was my only real social activity...pretty much still is. I just never left. I'm still with the same unit I always was with. In fact the present Scoutmaster is a year older than me and was in my troop when I was. I still go on all the camping trips, still go to summer camp, not much has changed.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

^^^thanks and that's awesome...i don't think a lot of scouts understand how much work goes into achieving the eagle rank...but after you earn it you realize the skills you learned along the way will remain with you for the rest of your life...you may not always remember exactly how to do everything but you can easily re-teach yourself how to do it...just last year a bunch of my friends and i went up white water rafting in ME and we didn't have enough space to bring enough firewood so we ran out, well i'm always prepared and so are 2 of my other buddies (both eagles as well)...broke out some line tied a stick to the end and started to pull down dead branches out of pine trees...dropped enough wood to last the rest of the trip as well as for the next people who used the site

Eagle, OA, G&C, 123 merit badges, most of which probably aren't even allowed any more. Merit badges were the hands-on labs to apply everything I'd been reading. Reading and scouting were the foundations of my education.

Point37 likes this.

Eagle, OA, G&C as well.
    Point37 and qwerty like this.

Eagle, OA, G&C, 123 merit badges
    Eagle, OA, G&C as well.
    Thats fantastic guys! I'm still in the OA as well (Vigil) however it looks like I'm behind five bucks on dues (I just got my "collection notice post card" in the mail yesterday) I never got my G&C (one wasn't really available for my denomination.

My wife is even involved, she sits on the Council Executive Board...no camping for that girl.
    Point37 and qwerty like this.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links