Help me select a hand gun.
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help me select a hand gun.

First off, I am completely new to hand guns. Greener than green.

I am looking for a revolver that is compact, concealable, light weight, semi weatherproof (sweatproof) and fun to shot.

Figured I go with a revolver as opposed to an auto for simplicity if that makes any since.

I am not looking for something that will take down a bear or a mountain lion just something that will change the dispostion of the weirdos I seem to be running in to lately with great regularity when out in the middle of nowhere.

It's been suggested to me that the S&W model 60 would be a good choice.

FYI: I will be taking a firearm safety/instruction class.

Comments, advice, suggestions please.

Please remember that I am greener than green and anyone posting over my head will be wasting your time.

Thanks

I own a Smith and Wesson 38. I have other handguns both semi auto and revolvers. I like the 38 for it's reliability and ease of use. I like the 642 because of it's concealed hammer and ability to shoot through a coat pocket without jamming. It's light and holds 5 158 grain rounds.

jim
    Taking some classes to the best idea and some gun ranges will let you fire the guns before you buy one.
    Join Oathkeepes.org

Because Home Land Security Begins @ Home: BPAUX.org

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and liberals

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Taking some classes to the best idea and some gun ranges will let you fire the guns before you buy one.

Zackly. Put your hands around as many different weapons as you can before buying. Lots of indoor ranges have a pretty good selection. Handguns are a sizeable investment these days.

My philosophy is that a .22 that you can actually hit things with beats the heck out of a .44mag that you can't.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

'concealable' and 'fun to shoot' is a tough combination.... a 2" barrel usually isn't too rewarding when it comes to target shooting or 'plinking'...of course if it just needs to be concealed in a tank or tail bag then that opens up a world of possibilites! S&W revolvers are indeed a great choice for beginners and seasoned shots alike. .38 special is just so versatile- from mild inexpensive loads for practice and knocking down tin cans to specially designed +p defense loads. of course a good revolver (rugers are highly regarded too) is also an heirloom quality weapon, taken care of it will last a lifetime

just wondering- what kind of laws concerning 'concealed carry' either in a vehicle or on your person are you dealing with out there....?

Concealed carry has pretty much become a non-option for most civillians here in Cali, but that's a discussion for another day. Exposed carry generally not much of an issue in wilderness, BLM lands national parks, etc. Cali has year-round hunting seasons on jackrabbits, hogs and certain predators and you can and should always assert your right to carry in these areas.

When sleeping in your vehicle, tent, camper or sleeping bag these convert to domecile, same rules as defending your home apply. Loaded carry in or on a motor vehicle in motion is illegal, and ammunition may not be attached to weapon.

Armed self defense, whether it be in Cali or any other state is shrouded in CRAP, for the most part. No matter where you live you need to make a study of what you can and can not legally do. "Home as Castle" laws have fallen by the wayside in all but a few states. You can't shoot a guy if all he's doing is stealing your stuff, for example, despite popular mythology. Even in "home as Castle" states there are defined circumstances under which lethal force can be used.

Better to have one and not need it than the other way around in the end, but going well-heeled with or without a CCW has risks. In Cali, at least, concealed carry without a CCW can cost you your right to possess or purchase a gun for life.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Concealed carry has pretty much become a non-option for most civillians here in Cali, but that's a discussion for another day. Exposed carry generally not much of an issue in wilderness, BLM lands national parks, etc. Cali has year-round hunting seasons on jackrabbits, hogs and certain predators and you can and should always assert your right to carry in these areas.

When sleeping in your vehicle, tent, camper or sleeping bag these convert to domecile, same rules as defending your home apply. Loaded carry in or on a motor vehicle is illegal, and ammunition may not be attached to weapon........

it was my understanding ca laws were pretty strict, learning them must be job #1 for any prospective shooter....

national forests are usually good options, not national parks though- they have their own whackadoodle rules....

i have a coworker who moved to colorado from san diego a couple years ago- he's still adjusting to his new found freedoms.

Oddly enough, your friend had largely the same freedoms here as he does there, on paper.

Cali's WRITTEN laws aren't all that different or more restrictive than a lot of other states.

It's the case law and misinformation that'll get ya.

BTW, national parks can no longer ban weapons.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Find a range that rents handguns and go have some fun!
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Oddly enough, your friend had largely the same freedoms here as he does there, on paper.

Cali's WRITTEN laws aren't all that different or more restrictive than a lot of other states.

It's the case law and misinformation that'll get ya.

BTW, national parks can no longer ban weapons.

yeah, ca case law and appeals courts are notorious everywhere! luckily for us colorado doesn't have the same vehicle/firearms laws, what a pita that must be....

as far as national parks- yes, you can 'possess' a firearm in accordance with the state and local laws for the parks location, and ccw holders are allowed to carry in parks (in the state that issued the permit, and with limitations as to offices, ranger stations, etc..). actually using the firearm is still a no-no, as opposed to shooter friendly (i use that term loosely) usfs & blm. wilderness areas would normally have the same rules as the agency that oversees the particular area (typically usfs or blm, but occaisionally nps). i wonder if open carry, in states where it is legal, falls under the 'state and local law' part or the prohibition against 'brandishing' nps part of the recent law change.......? despite the media spin, the nps law change was an all-to-rare triumph of common sense through legislation!

long story short, if you're a noob with a gun looking to plink, don't waste the gas driving to a national park.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links