Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By elime
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By GaryL

Thread: The Tufted Titmouse

The Tufted Titmouse

Or using the goggle cam for something other than motorcycle videos.

Either way, this one is for "joescience", aka joeband.

B-dub, mhomadness and Fred like this.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

How many chicks do you think are in there? m.

Quote Originally Posted by mhomadness View Post
    How many chicks do you think are in there? m.
    Sounds like several but I have no idea what the exact number is.

Quote Originally Posted by Croatoan View Post
    What's an eastern bird doing out west?
    It might be an Oak Titmouse. A neighbor told me what it was and I took his word for it.
    Last edited by elime; 05-10-2014 at 11:37 PM.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wish I could record and put up a video. I feed Ruby Throated Humming Birds all summer long. I go through 50 pounds of sugar each summer doing it. I have 4 feeders under the eves of my front porch and each feeder has 6 perches or feeding flowers. In the evenings I often have close to 100 hummers all either sitting and feeding or stacked up in a flight holding pattern waiting to feed. These birds are comical in the way they dive bomb each other and wing slap in mid air. Sometimes when I refill the jars and attempt to hang them they are right there trying to feed while I am holding the feeder. It can actually be dangerous sitting on my front porch in the evenings with all these masters of flight whizzing by at brake neck speeds. It is hard to imagine these tiny birds travel from here in the NY Catskills all the way down to Florida and further every year.

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

My visiting hummingbirds only like this feeder style. Have 4 of them out already, refilled daily. Will have 8 out by August, 1 quart each, sometimes refilled twice per day. That is a lot of sugar, seventy pounds one summer, less since
    Shot this afternoon with cell phone.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-15-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    admiral and elime like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Fred,

That's a really good shot with a cell phone. I assume cell phone camera's are a lot better now days than they use to be. Way Better by the looks of these photo's!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Yes, amazingly good resolution for a phone, that is why I posted casually shot photos taken in burst mode ( 8 frames per second, Motorola Droid phone).
    What I meant to add was feeders should be cleaned periodically to avoid growing fungus and bacteria inside harmful to feathered friends. Also that I have wasted alot of money on fancy art glass feeders and other styles that do not impress my hummers, they ignore all but this simple old style. Maybe they recognize this shape from other stops along their migratory routes so buy this style if you want to enjoy clouds of hummingbirds like Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yes, amazingly good resolution for a phone, that is why I posted casually shot photos taken in burst mode ( 8 frames per second, Motorola Droid phone).
    What I meant to add was feeders should be cleaned periodically to avoid growing fungus and bacteria inside harmful to feathered friends. Also that I have wasted alot of money on fancy art glass feeders and other styles that do not impress my hummers, they ignore all but this simple old style. Maybe they recognize this shape from other stops along their migratory routes so buy this style if you want to enjoy clouds of hummingbirds like Gary.
    YUP! I use the Perky Pet 109 glass jar feeders that hold 32 ounces. Make my own juice, 4 cups water and 1 cup white sugar with no coloring. I heat it up to just before boil and allow it to cool. Clean the jars every week with nothing but clorox and hot water. Every spring I get a few nesting pairs first off and they are busy birds at creating a big family. By the end of summer I have at least 100 and probably all related to one another.

GaryL
    Fred likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Gary, sounds like you are an old pro with Hummingbird care. I hear same individuals will return to you place year after year, remembering where there is an easy meal to be had. Hummingbirds eat alot of mosquitos too so sugar cost is justifiable expense to lessen West Nile Virus risk. Cheap entertainment too.

Sponosred Links