Budget Tow Vehicle Suggestions Please
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Budget Tow Vehicle Suggestions Please

Budget Tow Vehicle Suggestions Please

Greetings from afar TW Lovers,

The school year is almost over (not close enough), and the summer is nearly upon us here in Mongolia (it snowed again today). Anyway, I have plans to travel with my family all over the wide open wild spaces outside of Ulaaanbaatar, in every direction, to explore the whole country this summer.

To the point: we need a vehicle that will hold us (3 me,wife and 4 year old son) safely and comfortably, and be sturdy enough to pull my Yamaha AG200 behind us. Now, I was thinking I'll need a small SUV, but the car will likely stay on-road (well, some roads will be broken and weather-beaten). Since the bike is so light, and I'm on a teacher's budget I am looking for a small, economical option. I am even considering a Toyota Prius since they're so popular and abundant here. Apparently, they make bolt-on hitches for 'em that might be okay with the 112 kg (247lbs) AG200, depending on the trailer used. From my early research, Toyotas have the best support in terms of parts and service here. I tried to talk my wife into a Russian Jeep like this one UAZ 469.jpg

, but she wants something less utilitarian

I'd love to hear some opinions and perhaps even see some photos from the more mechanically-inclined, experienced good folks of this great forum.

Much obliged and be safe,

Mongol Pete

Suzuki Samurai- they make a long-wheelbase tin-top version, get good mileage, and can handle rough terrain.

Honda CRV- pretty refined, extremely reliable, and can be found with "RT4WD" (Real-Time 4-Wheel Drive).

Lamborghini LM002...
    Fred likes this.
    We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

If Suzuki Vitara is sold in Mongolia that would be my choice and recomendation
    B-dub and Fred like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have seen Suzuki here, and I think there's a dealership. Another car I like here is the 1998-2001 Honda HR-V. It is smaller than the CR-V. The problem is, there seem to be ZERO reputable used car dealers here. Big name dealerships sell new only, and I've heard horror stories about shady used car sellers here swapping out engines after the sale. I really liked my Suzuki motorcycle back home, and I have read that they are underrated as a car maker. Toyotas come with dealer support, a rock-solid name, and dealer service and parts support, but all at a premium price. What I need here is a little luck to find a dependable budget-ride, that won't leave us stranded in the middle of nowhere.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Please keep em comin
    -MP

Pete
    I'm all for Toyotas Hondas and Suzukis. I would rather drive a used Toyota than most new vehicles today. I prefer to buy a private deal than deal with used car dealers. Still driving my 28 year old Toyota.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mongol Pete, Fred, Borneo and 1 others like this.

My kinda truck Pete! Unfortunately, we don't have the budget for two cars, and my wife wants something pretty and comfy. Hmmmf! Women

Thanks
    Fred likes this.

Put a hitch on whatever you have. Any car will pull a small trailer and a tw. Here in the states older used passenger vans "church bus" are pretty cheap. Take out the back two or three rows of seats and throw in a bike and a mattress to sleep on. Do you have toyota Corolla's there? If your looking for an economical cheap car and have access to toyota parts easy then that wouldnt be a bad option. The vitara would be a good cheap four wheel drive also.
    Last edited by small's; 05-13-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Good advice,small's. Go with something reliable with local parts,mechanic available. Can you test drive, inspect, pay and drive away a used car deal direct from owner to avoid being conned? I prefer Toyotas. Sure they are expensive used. Expensive because they are generally reliable. For me this has been cheaper in the long run due to savings when things don't break. Being saved from the aggravation and exposure to risk of being broken down far from home with family is valuable too.
    Me? I'll probably keep driving my '91 until it looks like like peterb's. Shucks it is starting to look that way already. Seriously my Extra-cab with a camper shell holding my wife and I and two 65 lb dogs made plenty of week long camping trips sleeping securely in the back, dogs in front. With independent front suspension these newer Toys soak up rough roads yet are plush enough for the wife and the little guy around town.
    Susukis and Hyundais and Kia's can't be that bad a choice if you are on a budget. Imagine your wife and son in a Kia Sportage or equivalent following your AG200 dust into the sunset towing small trailer, sounds good.

Yes, that does sound good Fred! There is a 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitarra for sale. Was maintained and has only 16,000 miles. Seller wants 28 million tugrig (about $ 16 grand) It's more than I want to spend, and it sure is girly-looking in bright red Suzi.jpg

, but it just might be what I need for a summer adventure (AG in tow of course) We shall see.

-MP
    Fred likes this.

I'd second the Suzuki Grand Vitara. We rented one for a couple of weeks spent in Iceland...it was a very capable ride.

Last edited by Rhodetrip; 05-14-2014 at 06:33 AM.
    Fred and Mongol Pete like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links