Sad Day Here
Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Sad Day Here

Sad Day Here

I took guard dogs to dentist with me this morning. Coming home encountered coyote with one of my cats in his mouth. Just finished internment. Problem is I got cat from a young boy who rescued him from snowy streets but then discovered he was allergic to cats. Boy was so attached and so proud to have saved a life. Now what do I tell the boy? I do not look forward to explaining death.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry to hear it Fred.

What did you shoot the coyote with?

The truth. And that the coyote did what coyotes do -not evil just a wild animal with humans to close.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm sorry Fred. I think the easiest thing to do for you and the boy would be to say that it passed on due to old age and you buried it. A domesticated animal vs a wild animal is a hard thing to see. The coyote was doing what it is supposed to do. Sucks it wasn't against another wild animal but such is life. Things aren't fair and we go on. Sorry for both you and the boy's loss. You both did a good thing for that cat and that is all that matters now.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Today I was unarmed. Coyote ran away after dropping poor Arthur.
    Previously my live and let live attitude had me only shooting to scare coyotes away but now dark vengeance fills my heart. Coyote will be back, long guns will be chambered and ready at the door. No warning shots next time.
    Sorry to burden readers with my grief, this is a sad counterpoint to yesterday's viral video of cat saving boy from dog attack. It is just that I have no children so am unsure how to deal with the little guy who entrusted me with his King Arthur. He is about 13 now but has special needs, has only single mother and am unsure if I should take cowards way out and let his mother explain loss. This is going to ruin his day.
    Hoot Gibson and acekool like this.

Thanks folks.
    dette and Hoot Gibson like this.

Tough situation, best of luck.

That's too bad. Sorry about that Fred.

Well that stinks.. i know how you feel. We have chickens and one windy day I heard them making alarm noises and I looked outside and they were just walking around the yard so I didnt think much of it. Well I went outside to get the kiddo out of the car and I seen our big rooster shredded across the yard. My boy called him "mean daddy chicken" because he would attack my boy, my mother, dogs and hawks if they would chase our female chickens. I had a 17hmr just inside the door so I ran in and grabbed it and no sooner than I got out the door a fox was chasing a hen across our yard and he almost had her so I took 2 quick shots at him while he was running. I was out of ammo so I went back in the house and grabbed the next closest thing which was my camo'd ar15 and ran back out. Either him or another came running out of the woods chasing a hen. I took a shot at him and thought I clipped him but he was never found. Small critters are hard to hit while running. Needless to say next time they wont be so lucky. Now I keep the 12ga out with the turkey choke and high brass 3" #4 turkey load in it. Running target s will now be in serious doo doo. Including the crow who just snatched up two baby chickens this week one each day. I have a good ol fix for him coming. I hunt mostly deer and I didnt shoot foxes in the past because they are beautiful animals but that changes when they kill 9 chickens in about 5 minutes. I let them pass me twice during bow season. That wont happen anymore. They will get the same treatment the coyote recieved "an arrow to the head". Hopefully you will get your chance at him again.
    Last edited by small's; 05-15-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Hoot Gibson and acekool like this.

I am past the second anger stage of grieving now, working through guilt and on to just sad acceptance and strategies to prevent coyote from getting two remaining cats. Boy's mother will soften news as PalmStateCrawler suggested. Life will go on. Dogs will be outside when cats are out.Rifles will gather dust at doorside and I will as always be unprepared next time I see Mr. Coyote or his cousins. Never have more than a few seconds to react anyways. They are just following nature's way as we encroach on their historical habitats. Unfortunately my wife remains in tears as she tries to bravely prepare for her friends wedding saturday.
    Fortune has not smiled upon us this day.
    Thank you all for your good advice and words of sympathy. Now go embrace life , enjoy what you have,live and love to the fullest. Please go have a save ride on your TruustyWagons.
    Last edited by Fred; 05-15-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links