To tow or carry off road? That is the question...
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: To tow or carry off road? That is the question...

Question To tow or carry off road? That is the question...

Greetings from The Steppes TW lovers,

Being less mechanically-inclined than I'd like to be, I often try to find people who seem skilled and knowledgeable about machines, and take their advice. Now I find myself confused by two different camps here. Some say that one good hole can rip a carrier right off a hitch, while others say I'd be nuts to pull a trailer on Mongolian roads (Mongolian roads is like saying jumbo shrimp).

So, I turn once again to the fine and learned folks here:

What say you boys and girls? The carrier choice would of course mean a larger SUV. We're currently looking at a 2001 TLC Prado. On the other hand, I guess I could pull a small trailer with my light (112kg) AG200 with just about anything that I would take off-road. The wife could more easily handle (and prefers) something smaller, in which case we'd go with a RAV 4. The point is, I really have neither idea nor experience in this. As always, advice and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Ride safely out there,

MP

We will probably give you conflicting advice here as well Oh Noble AG Warrior.
    The car your family will live with every day, the AG transport will be less frequent. And I guess you will/want to live with a happy wife every day too. So I would vote for domestic tranquility by getting reliable affordable RAV4 set up for a lightweight trailer use. You can carefully pilot car when towing AG, hopefully wife can learn to be confident towing empty trailer when following you. Besides unsticking a hitch carrier from a ditch may be a lot harder than manhandling a trailer out of trouble. This may be least objectionable compromise.
    Now for some conflicting advice from others more knowledgable, let's help Pete get really confused.
    Mongol Pete and joeband like this.

Why not ride it off-road?

That's what the bike is designed for !

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My guess is there won't really be that much conflict of opinion. I've used hitch carriers, and I know others here have. I don't think very many would recommend them for truly rough terrain, at least not those that mount solely on a receiver. I could be wrong.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Excellent advice, Fred! Without a doubt MP, the choice that the wife is happier with will prove to make you happier as well

But just for the sake of feeding you conflicting opinions, I can tell you that you can drag a TW on a hitch carrier through some pretty rough country. Ask how I know...

2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Believe it or not I don't disagree with DonBenito despite what I said above, but I have had a bike on one behind the Defender 90 and had it rocking so hard I thought I was gonna twist it right off...but the truth is, it didn't. Had me watching continuously though.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

DonBenito, I have drug my hitch a bit,but nothing as impressive as your Jeep. Wow. Golly I can get into trouble just pulling into Taco Bell and my reciever hitch starts out a healthy 16" above ground. Wife's RAV4 class III hitch is a good 6 inches lower.

Borneo, Joemama just gave me good advice to maybe change out hitches' 2" tube for 2" stock with thicker walls to reduce flex. Got some parked somewhere on the back forty, want some?
    Last edited by Fred; 05-21-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Heh, heh, that's actually funny Fred. I am in the process of building the rear bumper and receiver for the rockcrawler jeep and it is 1/2" wall tubing. Fambly folks were making fun of me...glad to know you and Joemamma approve.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Brian, I have thought about just riding next to the Mrs. and our boy in our RAV 4. However, we're talking about 1000km trips (see Lake Khovskal). I think my ass will be very angry with me if I subject it to all those hours or constant high-revving vibrations! I haven't experienced riding a small bike long distance, but my arse is sometimes numb after just 25 km sometimes. Add the fuel carrying factor, and I think carrying or towing makes more sense.

As for you other fellas; has my wife gotten to you?

At this point, it looks like finding a strong hitch and trailer set up for a RAV 4 is a better option for my Mongolian family adventure. For all of your thoughtful advice, I shall try to share some stunning nature shots from our travels. I'm even planning to do some fishing out there! mongolfish.jpg

Please keep the ideas a rollin'

Thanks again,

MP

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    DonBenito, I have drug my hitch a bit,but nothing as impressive as your Jeep. Wow. Golly I can get into trouble just pulling into Taco Bell and my reciever hitch starts out a healthy 16" above ground. Wife's RAV4 class III hitch is a good 6 inches lower.
    Fred, I sure wish that was my LJ but it actually belongs to a friend. That pic is from a recovery mission, he was kind enough to haul my wrecked TW out of the desert for me. It was a VERY rough ride out, but TW, Jeep, Carrier, and Hitch all made it OK.

Truth is I'm no fan of trailers or hitch carriers when they can be avoided, I almost always ride out to the dirt myself. I'm not really sure that one is any better than the other, both have their pros and cons.
    Borneo likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links