The worst trips.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The worst trips.

The worst trips.

I noticed something, and I wonder if anyone has similar feelings. I have had some truly difficult adventures. Bad weather, harsh environments, physical suffering, break downs, hunger, thirst, you name it. But here is the crazy thing. Give those trips a few years to rest in the memory and they become the ones I remember best and most fondly. The ones I tell stories about. The ones I relive in my mind. Do adventures age and become better over the years like wine?
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I absolutely agree that the more the endurance factor is, the more you will remember it. When I saw the title of your thread I immediately started reminiscing about some of the 500 mile days in the snow/rain, 34 degrees or the breakdowns in God forsaken places and the challenges those rides presented. Most don't need to be embellished. They are truly as 'bad' as remembered. I look back on those times with a smile. I think it's in the human psyche to take pride in conquering adverse situations. Also, I've, almost without fail, met helpful strangers and saw out of the way places I might have otherwise missed. Some of the friendships are still strong. Those 'worst trips' are what makes for adventure. I love road trips, no matter what the vehicle, because of the unknown.

It's a human condition thing! I remember vividly the first and only time I stuck a paper clip in a wall outlet as a child! I also remember very well once while riding my Hodaka two stroke and I fouled the plug at 40 MPH and reached down yanking the plug wire off in hopes of clearing it up. I did one of those Benny Hill roll to a stop and fall over deals while the stator just pounded me with thousands of volts.

Yes, memories, even the bad ones get better with age but pain is a wonderful teacher.

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson and Fred like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Whew! Thought you were talking about me and the Mrs.

“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong, that’s when adventure starts” -Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia)
    Fred and Borneo like this.

Yvon Chouinard (founder of Patagonia)
    And Black Diamond and the One Percent for the Planet charity. (I've been a high altitude climber all my life, remember? )

He's an amazing man...and a good fly fisher to boot.

And he can run tools.

Attachment 6571
    Last edited by Borneo; 05-22-2014 at 10:30 AM.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

I knew he originally made climbing hardware. I didn't know it was Black Diamond though. Yup, very interesting guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    It's a human condition thing! I remember vividly the first and only time I stuck a paper clip in a wall outlet as a child! I also remember very well once while riding my Hodaka two stroke and I fouled the plug at 40 MPH and reached down yanking the plug wire off in hopes of clearing it up. I did one of those Benny Hill roll to a stop and fall over deals while the stator just pounded me with thousands of volts.

Yes, memories, even the bad ones get better with age but pain is a wonderful teacher.

GaryL
    Did that with a Bobbie Pin at 2 years old....got knocked back about 6 feet under the kitchen table, and despite being just 2, I can still remember that today as clear as it was some 63 years ago....OUCH! Mom said my hand was black for a couple of weeks....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I knew he originally made climbing hardware. I didn't know it was Black Diamond though. Yup, very interesting guy.
    If I remember correctly, and I may not, he sold BD to his employees.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Sprague River, Oregon in Summer, Salome, AZ in Winter
    1960. . . Flat tire on a Harley in southern Michigan in a November freezing rain while taking a "Last Ride" with girlfriend. Day before getting married to another. Was late to rehearsal and dinner. Hard to explain. John
    Borneo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links