A garden thread
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: A garden thread

A garden thread

Among many of my interests, Gardening has always been a big part of my life. It's relaxing and fulfilling. I thought I'd start a thread where we can share our gardening interests, hopefully with plenty of pics. Vegetable, flower, and even littletommy's weed gardens are welcome.

I'm just getting around to tilling and while putting off rebuilding the carb on my tiller, the weeds got out of control. Anyway, here's some pics of what I did yesterday. I'll let it sit until I get back from a mushrooming trip with my dog friend, Murf, to northern Mich in a week or so....but it's a start. More to come

The tiller is a BCS that I bought new in 1979 and it converts to a snow blower in the winter. Wonderful machine.

garden1.jpg
    garden2.jpg
    garden3.jpg

Mel
    Gardening is one of my distinct pastimes and pleasures. Of course I have to figure out a way to include my antique tractors into the formula. I am up to about one and a half acres now. Lots of sweet corn, with 4 70 foot rows up about a foot tall, 3 additional rows up about 4 inches tall, and will do at least 2-3 more plantings. My list includes Basel, parsley, cilantro, radishes, (which I am on the second planting already), kohlrabi, carrots, beets, potatoes, squash of all kinds, cucumbers, pumpkins, flowers and sunflowers.
    I have built a tool bar for the back of one tractor, so I can drive across the garden and instantly have 4 planting furrows, a model C International tractor with cultivator bars to help keep the weeds down, and three John Deere Model 71 planters mounted up on a tool bar to plant sweet corn with. I know kind of expensive toys, but I had all of it already. I give most of what I harvest to my family and the neighborhood. Maybe that is why they all wave at me! I will get some pictures, so you mouth can water a little. I will bet that Russ Austin Memoril Ride will have some "fresh" veges in the meal items.
    Mel
    Hoot Gibson, littletommy and Fred like this.

Left my camera in my umpire partners car{too many cold brews after the games last night} but will have photos as the spring and summer progress....my special green thumb is flowers, especially sunflowers...I usually grow about 8-10 different varieties of them....from the smaller "Teddy Bear" to the large eating{for the squirrels and birds, I don't eat the damn things} Mammoth type....here are some from last season:

Sunflower Finches 028.JPGSunflower Finches 002.JPGMore Backyard Sun(flowers) 009.JPGMore Backyard Sun(flowers) 007.JPG

They attract all kinds of critters and birds, including the Gold Finches seen here....so far this year, about 80 plants and 8 varieties have popped through the ground....
    littletommy, tcepilot and Fred like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I better not Tirebiter. The home invasion types might hit me, It's little anyway compared to some folks.
    Mel has told me about his gardens! Quite the farmer...
    Hoot, I love sunflowers too!!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

I like a row of Mammoth sunflowers too Hoot. Here's a pic of some last year before they bloomed. I'm 6' tall and they were about 12' at that time. When they bloomed and before they bent their heads they were 14'7". I can't find a pic of them right now.
    sunflowers.jpg

And here's a pic of an unusual pepper. There's always some strange ones but Sue liked this one.
    pepper.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I better not Tirebiter. The home invasion types might hit me, It's little anyway compared to some folks.
    Understand. We were at a Kum&Go somewhere in Iowa and this was right next to the parking lot. Had to pose for some pics....no faces in this one.
    Kum&Go.jpg

tirebiter you can call that pepper the gene simmons of the garden.
    littletommy and TWisty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
    Understand. We were at a Kum&Go somewhere in Iowa and this was right next to the parking lot. Had to pose for some pics....no faces in this one.
    Kum&Go.jpg

Puts a new meaning to "Smoke It If You Got It"
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Honestly, I hate to garden as I have no patience for it, but I could if I had too. Lots of credit to those of you who do like to garden.

When I have tried to garden these past few years, oddly enough I always get a good potato crop! Huh, go figure!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Puts a new meaning to "Smoke It If You Got It"
    you wouldn't want to smoke that Hoot... looks like wild cannabis Americana. Probably go to seed before it is any good... or at least that's what I've been told.

Probably like a 25 cent cigar.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links