BBQ and Smoking
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: BBQ and Smoking

BBQ and Smoking

I have really been enjoying my new smoker. I had a charcoal smoker that left in Hurricane Sandy. I recently bought an electric one from Masterbuilt. It is very easy to use and holds temperature very well. I have been finding recipes on youtube and other sites. The ribs and pork butts are awesome but I cannot get a handle on making a good brisket. I have followed two recipes to the letter and had two mediocre results. If one of you has the brisket secret, please post it! Thanks

Low and slow. I'm not a brisket expert, you need to cook them and keep cooking to break down the meat. Also doesn't hurt to wrap in foil after 6-8 hours to keep from drying out. I'm not familiar with your setup, but do have neighbors with electric smokers who love them. I cook on oak or pecan, between 225-250 degrees. I plan on doing some smoking this weekend also. I'll try to post some pics if I do. Would love to see some others chime in on this topic from around the world.
    Last edited by sp_cache; 05-24-2014 at 07:17 AM.
    Fred likes this.
    '73 CT-90
    '14 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear rack, Jimbo shield, Gmax dual sport helmet

I too was disappointed in first brisket attempts in the smoker. Fortunately I have dogs to help,get rid of the evidence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Not smoking brisket yet, but got a good start. Cold beer, Elk burgers, sweet corn, Harley-Davidson green-chili sausage.......do what???? Wife bought them, they were surprisingly good. DSC02658.JPGDSC02660.JPGDSC02662.JPGDSC02663.JPG
    Fred, Ebbanflood and Pass Man like this.
    '73 CT-90
    '14 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear rack, Jimbo shield, Gmax dual sport helmet

Screw brisket, it's a cheap, dirty cut. Get a better quality cut.

Well, attempt #3 is in the smoker with the help of one very intelligent man. The ribs will go in in a few hours. Then the Striped Bass goes on the grill.
    sp_cache likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    Well, attempt #3 is in the smoker with the help of one very intelligent man. The ribs will go in in a few hours. Then the Striped Bass goes on the grill.
    Yummy.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Put it in a covered turkey pan with some apple juice for the last few hours.
    Fred likes this.

Love the smoker.If I have time this weekend I want to do a pork shoulder to make some pulled pork but I have a lot to do this weekend so I may just do some chicken and ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbanflood View Post
    I have really been enjoying my new smoker. I had a charcoal smoker that left in Hurricane Sandy. I recently bought an electric one from Masterbuilt. It is very easy to use and holds temperature very well. I have been finding recipes on youtube and other sites. The ribs and pork butts are awesome but I cannot get a handle on making a good brisket. I have followed two recipes to the letter and had two mediocre results. If one of you has the brisket secret, please post it! Thanks
    Ok Ebbanflood, this will make purists cringe but it works well for me. I made many dry and chewy Brisket until I came up with this. I trim the excess fat then dry rub. I put the brisket in the fridge in a sealed container for at least 12 hours prior to smoking.
    I use my gas BBQ because I don't have a smoker yet. I put a smoker box on the right side burner on low and put the Brisket on the opposite side of the BBQ with burner off. I leave the Brisket to smoke at around 225 F. for 2 hours just to get smoke flavor. I prefer Pecan or Cherry wood. Now the brisket gets double foiled with some apple juice inside. Then I put the wrapped Brisket in an Aluminum Caserole pan to catch any leakage. I put my oven on 190 F. for at least 8 to 12 hours. Brisket hits a desirable tenderness when the connective tissue hits 190-195 F internal temp. So depending on the size of the Brisket you will need a digital probe thermometer that you can leave in and wait till you reach your internal temp. Usually I smoke late at night on a weekend and put the meat in the oven at say midnight. That way I have Brisket at lunch time the next day. I am amazed at how tender the Brisket is and it has the smoke flavor after 2 hours anyway. That's the lazy way to consistently make good brisket. If you do the oven method, test the actual temp of your oven with the probe as many ovens run a little different than their temp control. The best part of this low and slow method is that I can sleep while the oven finishes the job.
    My '87 TDub was born amidst the fervor of Miami Vice! And it looks like Don Johnson's wardrobe!Hidden Content Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links