Bears must STINK!
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Bears must STINK!

Bears must STINK!

A little info first. I have a female Brittany about 40 pounds and she absolutely hates bears. Chases them out of her yard all the time and it is a complete hoot to see a 40 pound dog with a treed 400 pound bear.

Last night we are in bed, wife is fast asleep and the dog at our feet snoring away. I am watching the news with a cool breeze blowing through a slightly open window facing the back yard.

Out of a sound sleep the dog awakes growling and snarling and heading to the back sliding door with me on her heels to see what spooked her. Turn the light on and there is a big black bear just crossing the back yard and at least 50 yards from the house. Brittany's are a funny breed. She does sleep very deep and with both eyes slammed shut but her nostrils never stop and that is the only way she could ever have known the bear was in her yard. Sometimes I think I would love to have the sense of smell she has and then maybe not! She can spend minutes on a particular smell or spot in the yard and I often wonder what kind of info she is sniffing and how her brain is translating it.

I have no explanation as to why she hates bears so much and she could not care less when I get a dozen deer out there. All I do know is that bears must have a powerful odor that is imprinted on her brain and she knows there is one close by long before I can even see it. She also has a very different growl I have come to realize is her bear growl. She does not like turkeys much either but it is a completely different growl when they come in her yard. Amazing!

GaryL
    Fred, B-dub, sp_cache and 1 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Thats interesting.I speak my Lab's language too or understand it at least.She has many different vocal sounds and sometimes it's quite funny to listen to her when she is trying to tell you something.

My last dog was like that. He could talk to me in his way, never made a fuss, always asked. He spoiled me so bad I don't think I will have another one. Miss that fellow bad. Your dog knows a bear is a threat being carnivorous. Nice to have that alarm lying there beside you.
    Fred and sp_cache like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My little Boston Terrier is that way with skunks. He can smell them (in the house) a good 5 minutes before I can smell them outside, and he gets a special kind of pissed off when they are around.

Sucks when he catches up to them.
    Fred and Padilen like this.

Dog get skunked? Forget the tomato juice. Favorite internet recipe entails 3% hydrogen peroxide, a little dish soap as a wetting agent and baking soda. Chemically neutralizes shunk odor. Avoid getting in pet's eyes.

Said it before but two animals get dead when they enter my yard, Skunks and Porcupines. Dogs just can't resist them and I can't afford the vet bills where Porcupines are concerned.

Good recipe Fred and I know from experience it is the best!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Thanks Fred, I'll try that if it happens again. So far it's only happened once, and yeah, the tomato juice knocked the edge off, but he still smelled for a week.

Works great: A product called febreze.

Bears stink almost as bad as people do. See the little bells in my poop. Hikers. 17-year old whirled peas. They were cuter than they smelled. Smelled kinda like rotten fish. Must have been some of Croatoan's world pieces.

This big guy I stopped from climbing through window this morning @ 7am. Absolutely no fear of me, took several pistol shots to scare him P1010696.JPGP1010700.JPGP1010701.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 05-31-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Pass Man and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links