Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryL
  • 2 Post By Hoot Gibson
  • 1 Post By Kf6rqb
  • 1 Post By Pass Man

Thread: Tearing Down old Bridges

Tearing Down old Bridges

I love old bridges, especially those on back roads....sadly most are being removed and replaced by "Cookie Cutter" drab, dull, structures....put 50 miles on the 2014tw this morning{heading out in a few minutes to the south part of the County} in the northern Mercer County area....some of the old bridges have been replaced, and I don't like what I see...Safer? Perhaps, but some were in pretty good shape, and all are much better looking: Case in point....

The Gallman Road Bridge, near Mendon, Ohio...photo taken by me some 20 years ago...then the same St Marys River Crossing today on the TW.....

GallmanRoadBridge.jpgtw and bridges 003.JPGtw and bridges 001.JPG
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Nice to see you getting out and pounding some miles Hoot. Wishing we could get out of this rain, rain, rain pattern already. I have added some miles to my clocks these past few weeks but it is hit and miss with a nice sunny day followed by three rainy ones. Makes it hard figuring out if I should go fishing, mow the lawn or ride the bikes. I might have to add Meteorologists to my list of professions needing hanging!

GaryL
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

more TW 001.JPGmore TW 004.JPGmore TW 008.JPGmore TW 010.JPG

Kind of cross dressing this thread, so to speak...with the upper section Ride Reports:

Photos Include the old Farm House where we lived from 1980 through 1990...the 3 kids spent their early childhood years here, and it was a great place to live and raise Kids and Dogs....looks like the 2nd or so family since we left in the fall of 1990 let it go back to the bank....for some reason they tore down the old barns....ruined the classic look....thinking, if the price is right at auction, I might buy it back and use it for a summer place...but at 65...who knows, but I can dream....would take a lot of work:

other photos...the classic bridge is gone, but Whiskey Run is where I learned to Ice Skate back in the early 1960s...after growing up and Roller Skating in South Florida, those first few years on the south side of Grand Lake were a wake up call when winter called....Windy Point is where we swam in our High School years, drank 3.2 beer, and chased girls....they have redone the beach, but with the pollution/alga problems, the swimming is not making a comeback.....but Grand Lake, while the fishing is not as good, the swimming is lacking, is still a nice site and a good place to ride...13000 sq feet, some 10 miles long by 3 or 4 miles wide, there is lots to see.
    Kf6rqb and Pass Man like this.

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You have a lot of nice area to ride in, I live in Lakewood Ca. Just a big city! In LA. I have the coast to ride on but not dirt ! 2 hours to go off road ! I like to ride the TW but on city streets you get ran off but the TW is a fun little bike ! Keep up the post, good reading !!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Dave A. Smith

Hey hoot, I think you made me teary eyed. Or I mean it must be something in my eye. By the way, I'm running low on bungee cords. Do you know anyone who could loan me a few?
    Beautiful country, and a beautiful TW.
    Last edited by Pass Man; 05-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    My '87 TDub was born amidst the fervor of Miami Vice! And it looks like Don Johnson's wardrobe!Hidden Content Hidden Content

Got a few of them Bungee Cords wrapped up somewhere Pass Man

Hidden Content

Where the Wabash River Begins.....50 miles today....Riding the 20 miles to Fort Recovery nested about a mile from the Indiana State Line in southwest Mercer County....this is where the Wabash River pops out of a field tile and meanders about 40 miles before crossing the Hoosier State Line on it's way west and south to the Ohio River some 480 miles away: Got some visits in on some dirt and grass/gravel trails, checked out the refurbished Fort Recovery, site of General St Clair getting his butt whipped by the Miami Indians....and crossed the Wabash a dozen or more times as I headed home:

Wabash and Fort Recovery 001.JPGWabash and Fort Recovery 003.JPGWabash and Fort Recovery 009.JPG

Wabash and Fort Recovery 010.JPGWabash and Fort Recovery 011.JPG

Hidden Content

Sponosred Links