Morel mushrooms
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Morel mushrooms

Morel mushrooms

[IMG][/IMG]
    This pic is over a month old. Weekend after Easter weekend I believe. Does it make anyone else hungry?
    Fred, Hoot Gibson and Tong&Groove like this.

Those look delicious.

We usually go Morel Hunting in mid to late May in the Boyne and Mesick Area of lower Michigan....missed this year, due to a few issues...next year, I plan on taking the tw up that way....last year they were selling for $40 a pound from the locals....pricy but great tasing:

Mesick 2009.jpgMorelMushrooms.jpg

Life Long Buddy of mine's wife{we were best man in each other's weddings} usually makes up a custom "Hoodie" for the half dozen of us that go....plenty of beer and sometimes you run into a snake or two....this guy, a Hognose, we came across in 2011, and I ended up with a great photo opportunity...

Michigan Rattlesnake Firday, May 13, 2011 cropped.jpg
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    We usually go Morel Hunting in mid to late May in the Boyne and Mesick Area of lower Michigan....missed this year, due to a few issues...next year, I plan on taking the tw up that way....last year they were selling for $40 a pound from the locals....pricy but great tasing:

Mesick 2009.jpgMorelMushrooms.jpg

Life Long Buddy of mine's wife{we were best man in each other's weddings} usually makes up a custom "Hoodie" for the half dozen of us that go....plenty of beer and sometimes you run into a snake or two....this guy, a Hognose, we came across in 2011, and I ended up with a great photo opportunity...

Michigan Rattlesnake Firday, May 13, 2011 cropped.jpg
    Ran across a hognose on our lake lots a couple of weeks ago, very aggressive acting snakes. I had to guard him from my 8 year old son though who is even more aggressive.
    Padilen and Hoot Gibson like this.

It's just an act, they'll roll over and play dead to.
    Hoot Gibson and howardgene63 like this.

Yep, they act like a King Cobra...but when challenged, they "Play Dead"...pretty harmless....but we let this guy go on his{her} way....no reason to do anything else....
    howardgene63 likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Even though I don't like them I don't go killing them. The do eat mice and shrews. Of course they get some toads too .
    I didn't go out mushrooming. I did find 2 large white ones but the slugs found them first. Then I forgot them, at the neighbors.

What makes these mushrooms so tasty/pricey? I am guessing we don't have them here in the south or I would have heard of them.
    '13 690 Enduro R too many frickin farkles...
    '07 KLX250 farkled (wife's bike)
    '86 BW80 farkled to size
    '10 TW200 you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStateCrawler View Post
    What makes these mushrooms so tasty/pricey? I am guessing we don't have them here in the south or I would have heard of them.
    There should be morels in South Carolina. Stands of timber in river bottoms are the biggest producing areas here. There are good morel spots in the hills though to. As to the taste they're really good, better than a good supermarket mushroom like a portabella. I wouldn't pay $40 a lb., but there can be a lot of walking in finding a pound.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Lower Hudson River Valley of The Communist State of N.Y.
    Quote Originally Posted by howardgene63 View Post
    There should be morels in South Carolina. Stands of timber in river bottoms are the biggest producing areas here. There are good morel spots in the hills though to. As to the taste they're really good, better than a good supermarket mushroom like a portabella. I wouldn't pay $40 a lb., but there can be a lot of walking in finding a pound.
    Until my Father's last year with us, he was an avid Morel hunter. He took the best locations to find them to his grave. ( a couple of times, he came back from his morning search with a plastic shopping bag full ) He used to tell me that they were pricey, mainly due to the fact that they are very difficult to cultivate. Kind of like Truffles. Don't know if this is factual or not, but seems plausible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links