Fix a Flat Gunk....
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Fix a Flat Gunk....

Fix a Flat Gunk....

Decisions, decisions, does this post go here or "up there"? Well anyway....since I got back into the riding thing, here, on Big Dog's Site, and up with the 90% assholes that don't ride, except around some outpost in nowhere land or in their useless delusional minds{OK, got that Slam in} in ADV....I noticed that nobody ever talks about the wonder gunk "Fix a Flat".....

Now, when I was riding back in yesteryear, I used it on more than one occasion, which at the time seemed a Hell of a lot better than trying to change a freaking tube out in the boondocks or on the side of US 33...still does to me...the stuff worked, sure it shit canned the tubes, and I tossed them when I had the chance and time to change them, but for me, fix a flat was a gawd~send many a time.

Agree, Disagree, Don't Know, Don't Give a Rat's Ass.....???

Discuss Please....
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    well, if you can afford tubes that sounds great. I really like tube-less for ease of repair but they don't seem popular with spoke style wheels.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Mel
    I would not go anywhere remote or in the desert with cactus needles around without one of the Slime kits. It has a can of Slime, and a small compressor. Who cares, throw the tube away, throw the tire away, the object is to get yourself out or back to assistance safely. I for one cannot walk long distances. The price of a tire or tube is insignificant to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hoot, you may have seen mention on here of Ride-On tire sealant. This is basically an improved, preventative version of Fix-a-Flat that also has the bonus feature of balancing your tires.

You put it in your tires ahead of time, and any puncture that could be fixed with Fix-a-Flat will be sealed as it happens by Ride-On. Eliminates that pesky flat tire part in the middle.

Nice in that you don't have to pack around another can, and of course the propellant in Fix-a-Flat can leak out after a couple of years leaving that big can useless anyway.

I do still carry Fix-a-Flat when I have room in my kit though. It's nice to be able to salvage the ride for other guys you run into out there who may not have planned for a flat themselves.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

I used fix a flat often in old trailer tires to get them aired up to tow out. But I used it I a tire of a trailer I kept and had a hard mess to clean before I could tube it. Slime seemed to rust rims so Ive not been using anything! But would consider caring a can or using a can of ride on to balance my new tires.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I would not go anywhere remote or in the desert with cactus needles around without one of the Slime kits. It has a can of Slime, and a small compressor. Who cares, throw the tube away, throw the tire away, the object is to get yourself out or back to assistance safely. I for one cannot walk long distances. The price of a tire or tube is insignificant to me.
    Can't have said it better!
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

I only ever had 2 flats on the trails. One from a side wall puncture that nothing could possibly have fixed and the other from a badly dented rim after hitting a sharp rock. In my ATVs I always used Slime and it must have done the job but for my TWs I went with Ride On Sealant/Balancer. I might never know if it works but that will be a good thing! I do know my TWs are smooth on the road so that is a good feeling and I don't have to worry about ever tossing a wheel weight.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Think of it this way. A trail bike can take you further in three hours than you can walk all day. So anything that can keep you from having to hike out is a good thing.

I used to carry cans of fix-a-flat in my jeep without a spare. Hoot, I'd do the ride-on if I was going far from home on the TW. I'm usually within range for my wife to bring my parts box with tubes, compressor, and tools. If it is too bad, she can slide the rack into the receiver on one of the Jeeps and bring the straps.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

my last order on Rocky Mountain I picked up 5 bottles. 10456371_10203030173747355_1671095068_n.jpg 2 for DR650 10476182_10203030173547350_1783539404_n.jpg 3 for the Mule! And you do not want to get the Ride on ATV.
    Last edited by ZDR1; 06-12-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    admiral likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links