At a Glance: BRP Can-Am Spyder
Close
         
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GapRunr
  • 1 Post By DonBenito

Thread: At a Glance: BRP Can-Am Spyder

  1. #1
    Senior Member BugSpatteredJacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    141

    Red face At a Glance: BRP Can-Am Spyder

    Hello,

    I thought I would put something together for folks interested in doing a course that will give them permission to ride a Can-Am Spyder. I know the rules are different for every province/state but this will at least give a good sense of some of the headaches involved. I also include a short video that shows some of the stuff that we teach during the day course.

    At a Glance: BRP Can-Am Spyder

    If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, ride safe and enjoy the summer...

    BSJ
    BugSpatteredJacket
    Hidden Content

  2. #2
    Member manotickmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    93
    So, what's it like to ride one? I'm trying to overcome my disdain of 3 wheeled anything.
    I really don't think you need any special permission to ride one here, judging by the rolling messes I see daily by the dealership.

  3. #3
    Senior Member BugSpatteredJacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by manotickmike View Post
    So, what's it like to ride one? I'm trying to overcome my disdain of 3 wheeled anything.
    I really don't think you need any special permission to ride one here, judging by the rolling messes I see daily by the dealership.
    I tell you all about it via the review. But in short, feels like riding a car more than a motorcycle, particularly where corners are concerned. I think that in terms of value for money I'd rather go for a traditional trike (if I had to go for a trike at all) rather than one of these. But that then I have never been a fan of the Can-Am Spyder or its styling.
    BugSpatteredJacket
    Hidden Content

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member Holdnon72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    592
    I got a chance to demo one last Saturday. Normaly when I see one parked somewhere,I say why would anybody want that? Well after my demo ride Saturday I can certainly see why. I had an absolute blast on it.
    Tons of power and you don't feel the bumps. The one I road was a sport model. Paddle shifter for up shifting and as you slowed the spyder downshifted itself. You don't even have to roll off the throttle on upshifts.
    Great thing about these machines is that anybody can hop on one and ride away. 3 wheel abs brakes was very smooth. Got to go out for just under a half hour with 2 good friends and our guide. Honestly I didn't want to give it back! Here's a shot of me at the demo in hammonton,nj

    Last edited by Holdnon72; 06-18-2014 at 07:30 PM.
    2013 TW200 Ims super stock pegs,zeta pro bend xc hand-guards,manrack,zeta muffs,Gerbing ultra light heated gloves

  6. #5
    Senior Member small's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    2,089
    My wife wants one in yellow.

  7. #6
    Senior Member GapRunr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Friendsville, TN
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdnon72 View Post
    BAD thing about these machines is that anybody can hop on one and ride away.
    Fixed it for you… Can Am Spyders are seen as a beginner vehicle around here. A lot of them crash around here too.

    I can't see the appeal of a Can Am myself, but then I don't live somewhere flat and straight. As part of the TurtlePalooza this past weekend, we were riding on Wayah Road, known for its curves, when we caught up to a guy on a Spyder who looked like he was working his butt off at 25 miles per hour. The speed limit it on that stretch is 50, and there was no way he was going to able to get it much past 25. I don't understand the concept of sitting on a motorcycle seat that has no lateral support, and driving a vehicle that produces lateral G forces.
    DonBenito and Fred like this.
    GapRunr



    Current bikes TW200 * R1200GS ADV * R80g/s * KLR250 Miami Vice Edition * Hawk GT - For sale!

  8. #7
    Senior Member DonBenito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by GapRunr View Post
    Fixed it for you… Can Am Spyders are seen as a beginner vehicle around here. A lot of them crash around here too.

    I can't see the appeal of a Can Am myself, but then I don't live somewhere flat and straight. As part of the TurtlePalooza this past weekend, we were riding on Wayah Road, known for its curves, when we caught up to a guy on a Spyder who looked like he was working his butt off at 25 miles per hour. The speed limit it on that stretch is 50, and there was no way he was going to able to get it much past 25. I don't understand the concept of sitting on a motorcycle seat that has no lateral support, and driving a vehicle that produces lateral G forces.
    I've been stuck behind more than one of them things in the twisties myself, not sure if it's the machine or the riders they attract but 15-25 mph through 35 mph posted, easy 55 mph MC curves seems to be the norm.

    I've talked to some older riders who have switched to Can-Am reverse trikes because they can't hold up a two wheeler anymore, so I try to keep that in mind when I see those machines out on the road. It sure doesn't seem like a real motorcycle to me, but if I'm one of those whose body goes before his mind, spirit, and money catch up I may have something of the like in my own future.

    I know we have more than a few septuagenarians and a handful of octogenarians around here who are still riding on two wheels and doing it well, though. I hope to be one of those in a few more decades, but a trike still beats a Lincoln for getting around if it comes to it!
    Fred likes this.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Sponosred Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •