Recap of 2010
Close

Thread: Recap of 2010

This year has been very good to me as far as motorcycles are concerned.

My wife has agreed to finally take her riding course in January. Both the

2008 TW's are running great! I purchased a brand new Harley Davidson Road

King Classic and took it across the U.S. from California to Michigan a couple times.

I purchased a Classic Harley Davidson Heritage Springer Softail with only

2K miles on it, a 2006 Honda Goldwing GL1800 with only 2,500 miles on it, and

a brand new 2010 Harley Davidson XR1200 to play scott parker for a couple months before I sold it.

Tomorrow morning starts a new adventure for me, A 2007 Honda ST1300 with ABS brakes with only 5K miles on her.

Of all the bikes that came and went this year, the only ones that I never considered

trading or selling have been the TW's! Everything else went away.

I guess things change as we get older and hopefully wiser.

So now the garage will have the TW Twins for exploration and two lane touring

and the ST1300 for two up touring far away places.

I even made my wife a promise last night, that the ST1300 would be the last

bike I purchase this year

Ride safe everyone, and have a happy new year

Larry-Igofar

Wow. I'm jealous.

This year I tried to swear off new acquisitions. Only added a Concours and a few TW's. Squeezed in a few Iron Butts on the Connie and the KLR's. Never met my goal of doing one on the TW as promised to Warren, so that will be bumped into next year.

The TW has become a rideable project without end. I've given up on ever pronouncing it "done" cuz I hate the word "liar". As long as people like Ronnydog, Gizmo and others on this website exist to put ideas in my head I may be doomed to modifying this bike indefinitely. Rat bastits.

Purple got a new-to-her Vulcan, some TW farkling, some battle scars, hundreds of miles of dirt and an MSF course and is drawn into the disease.

Next year I think the Concours will give way to a flying couch of some sort, (prolly a GL1800), we'll do our end-to-end Route 66 trip with the TW's, thin the herd and let someone else enjoy the stuff I've been hoarding and not riding, then maybe see what my garage floor looks like for awhile.

Could happen, no?

Happy Bike Year.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Wow. I'm jealous.

This year I tried to swear off new acquisitions. Only added a Concours and a few TW's. Squeezed in a few Iron Butts on the Connie and the KLR's. Never met my goal of doing one on the TW as promised to Warren, so that will be bumped into next year.

The TW has become a rideable project without end. I've given up on ever pronouncing it "done" cuz I hate the word "liar". As long as people like Ronnydog, Gizmo and others on this website exist to put ideas in my head I may be doomed to modifying this bike indefinitely. Rat bastits.

Purple got a new-to-her Vulcan, some TW farkling, some battle scars, hundreds of miles of dirt and an MSF course and is drawn into the disease.

Next year I think the Concours will give way to a flying couch of some sort, (prolly a GL1800), we'll do our end-to-end Route 66 trip with the TW's, thin the herd and let someone else enjoy the stuff I've been hoarding and not riding, then maybe see what my garage floor looks like for awhile.

Could happen, no?

Happy Bike Year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have no idea how I just did that!

Hey Lizardbrth, I like your handle. My buddys use to call me Tegubreath, back in the day when I bred and sold Large Reptiles.

I had a beautiful Argentine Black and White Tegu that was about 35 lbs, dog tame, house trained, and would come when you called him! Anyhow, we sound very similar in our bikes.

I would think twice and rent a GL1800 for a couple weeks before I plunked down the cash.

I've had over 58 bikes so far and thought the Road sofa would be the last. Turns out, it was the one I kept the shortest amount of time

It was the only bike that I ever had to "look for a place to turn around" on. I found it very fast and smooth, its just way too heavy, too big, too plastic, and just never "felt" like a motorcycle to me.

Thats why I'm downgrading to the ST, hoping it will at least feel like a bike again.

I just never could connect with the wing. I also had a 2000 aspencade for a year(same thing happened) traded it for an ST1100.

I had a valkyre for a while. It aleast felt more like a bike.

I just have to face it...I'm a bike whore!

Another thing that drove me away from the GL1800 was the CRACKED FRAMES, and TRASHED TRANSMISSIONS, that all of them seemed to have.

What year is your Connie? I used to hate following them...always worried the bags would fall off and cause me to crash.

(just loved watching them rattle around on my friends bike in front of me)

I understand the new Kawi is a rocket ship!

I may take you up on the 395 trip. I'll let you know.

Igofar

Mine is just a Concours10. Bronze '05 impulse buy I stole with 11,000 on the clock. Figured I'd do a few Iron Butts with it then turn it when a nice 14 came my way. Decided 130 was plenty fast enough for an old pharte to be cruising. LOL. It's still here. Kinda the KLR of the genre, but more than adequate.

The luggage on mine seems solid. In fact that's one of the things I like about it. What DON'T like about it is the fact that the luggage has so many "innies" to conform with the chassis that despite its size it won't hold much. I tend to think of it as a gentleman's commuter which can be pressed into service as a solo sport tourer. The 14 is just faster, near as I can tell.

Lots of GL1800 owners are mourning the GL1500 as being the better bike, for all the reasons you've cited. IIRC your Aspencade lacked reverse. I'd be interested in your impressions, and whether that feature would have altered your joy. I wouldn't be too messed up about revamping a low-mileage example of the 1500 with reverse and running the wheels off it for the difference in cost. Once you hit this class of bike they're all pretty much barges anyway. I'll never fall in love with any bike over 500 pounds in this life, so for me it's a matter of bang for the buck, aesthetics, cost or some other priority. Thousand mile days tend to point you in this direction, like it or don't. I'm hooked on the Iron butt stuff.

We may be headed up your way, or at least as far as SLO soon. We're having a real winter here in the desert and if we wait much longer she'll never get any seat time on her new bike.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Mine is just a Concours10. Bronze '05 impulse buy I stole with 11,000 on the clock. Figured I'd do a few Iron Butts with it then turn it when a nice 14 came my way. Decided 130 was plenty fast enough for an old pharte to be cruising. LOL. It's still here. Kinda the KLR of the genre, but more than adequate.

The luggage on mine seems solid. In fact that's one of the things I like about it. What DON'T like about it is the fact that the luggage has so many "innies" to conform with the chassis that despite its size it won't hold much. I tend to think of it as a gentleman's commuter which can be pressed into service as a solo sport tourer. The 14 is just faster, near as I can tell.

Lots of GL1800 owners are mourning the GL1500 as being the better bike, for all the reasons you've cited. IIRC your Aspencade lacked reverse. I'd be interested in your impressions, and whether that feature would have altered your joy. I wouldn't be too messed up about revamping a low-mileage example of the 1500 with reverse and running the wheels off it for the difference in cost. Once you hit this class of bike they're all pretty much barges anyway. I'll never fall in love with any bike over 500 pounds in this life, so for me it's a matter of bang for the buck, aesthetics, cost or some other priority. Thousand mile days tend to point you in this direction, like it or don't. I'm hooked on the Iron butt stuff.

We may be headed up your way, or at least as far as SLO soon. We're having a real winter here in the desert and if we wait much longer she'll never get any seat time on her new bike.

Like Jay Leno once said "I never trust a bike I can't see through" words to live by

My 2000 GL1500 did have reverse, and you needed it, anytime you had a passenger on the back, or loaded down.

I respect your "bang for the buck" attitude.

Seems the older I get, the better I was!

My Iron butt days are behind me now, but as my name implies, I still go far!

I like 300-400 miles days on the TW, and riding until I'm in a different time zone on the barges.

However....IBR folks seem to just want to press the limits and roll up the miles....lots of people always brag about how far they went, but you

very seldom here people talk about what they saw along the way!

Let me know if you ever make it up to the bay area, I have anykind of trip you could want to go on. Coastal hwys, mountain passess, beaches, twisty two lane roads, blasting down 101 to oregon, washington and beyond, etc.

I'm always up for a ride.

Ride safe and have a very safe new years.

Larry

Sponosred Links