Question for the Basement Gang....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Question for the Basement Gang....

Question for the Basement Gang....

This probably belongs up in the Ride Report/Advice Section but since I feel a perverted "Kinship" with the gang down here, I'll toss this at you:

In Mid September, as the weather is Changing, I will be heading for Howard County, Indiana, {Kokomo/Greentown} for our 30+ annual Vietnam/All Service get together...some 10,000 campers, moonshine drinkers, bullshit artists, real veterans, and wannabees, getting together for a massive good time:

Home

My question is....should I give it a try and ride the TW the 90 miles each way, taking the back roads, loaded down with Sleeping Bag, Tent, Cooler, etc, and hope for no rain/bad weather, or say the "Hell with that" and drive my comfy Dodge Nitro, complete with XM Radio, AC/Heat and fold down rear seats and sleep in the back of it, like I have done the last couple of years.....? To this old "war" Horse/BS artist, the answer seems obvious....but who the Hell is this Mr. Obvious?

Photos for the Past at Kokomo:

kokomo2011 045.jpgkokomo2011 064.jpgkokomo2011 019.jpgKokomo 2013 057.JPG

"Sweety Pie" is our Mascot at the Boar's Nest where we Sky Cops camp....some old Vietnam Security Police guys in a couple of our "Sober" Moments, and me tasting some "Apple Pie" home made "Shine".....
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 07-12-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I would take the truck and tent and take the TW to buzz around on, I have this same bike carrier it will hold 500 pounds but I paid $85. for mine and on the ramp I put a 2x4 in it so the front tire does not get stuck. Amazon.com: Steel Motorcycle Scooter Dirtbike Carrier Hauler Hitch Mount Rack Ramp Anti Tilt: Automotive
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

This is it in Action. 10466706_10203095072729789_1990000199_n.jpg I found the easiest way to load is have it running in first gear and carefully let the clutch out and walk next to it and hit the kill switch when in place and have the tie downs ready to go.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    awe... come-on... a tough old coot like you... wussy out in the Nitro... ride the Tdub and you will be the talk of the gathering! Looks to be a ton of fun no matter how you get there...

Hoot I just noticed the shipping charge but it is still a good deal. this is the carrier I am going to get next perfect for long camping trips. http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Sco...rcycle+carrier Ice chests on rack TW on Carrier and still able to pull a tent trailer.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Hoot, If I were you, (and I'm not) I'd drive the Nitro and save my energy for the gang and all that.

If you want an adventure, look up Rattlesnake campground in Indiana. Primitive camping. That means you have to drive through not across three creeks on the way in on gravel and mud roads. There is a one hole out house. No running water. My favorite campground in the off season. Last time I went, you take an envelope out of the covered board, fill out your name and camp site number, put $5 bill in it, then drop it in the locked tube. Camp fires allowed.
    ZDR1 and Hoot Gibson like this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Quote Originally Posted by Concho View Post
    Only 90 miles? If the weather looks dry I'd take one of my bikes and try to extend the ride on back roads. Of course if you want to take a load of beer with you that's out of the question. Depends on what you want to haul and if the weather's dry to me. Cages are for going to the shopping mall. Bikes are for adventures and that to me sounds like an adventure.
    But riding home with a massive hang over in a head wind with puke all over the inside of your helmet would suck! But that is also an Adventure.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    But riding home with a massive hang over in a head wind with puke all over the inside of your helmet would suck! But that is also an Adventure.
    Best reply ever.
    ZDR1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Concho View Post
    I've paid that price in many places, but never inside my helmet in a head wind. Sounds like you've been there Paul. Now that would be one hell of a prize winning story at an AA meeting. Hi, my name is Paul and I puked in my helmet riding at 70 mph in a head wind with a head the size of a watermelon. At first I thought my head exploded, but then I realized it must just be the contents of my intestines I was looking through. Yuck! I'll pass on the deviled eggs thank you. You better pay attention Hoot. The voice of experience is talking to you.
    I never drink and operate a motor vehicle two wheels or four or handle firearm's I just sit at my PC and post B.S. But I think Hoot in the red shirt above looks like he has been around he knows his limit.
    Last edited by ZDR1; 07-12-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: ad to.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Your TW would add novelty and spice to the event . Your buddies would get a hoot out of seeing you show up on TW (Sorry, I couldn't pass up such an easy pun ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links