I am thinking about it!
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: I am thinking about it!

I am thinking about it!

In twenty three month's I will be retiring and my Dad's side of the Family wants my to take over and buy my Uncle's Vacation Cabins in northern Maine, he past away a few years back and his widow wants to sale.
    Now living in the desert my whole life this sure would be a big change but I could ride the snow sled trails in the summer on the TW. Welcome to Portage Lakeside Cabins - your vacation destination in Maine If I did buy this I would hire someone to run it as I would be Retired.
    Last edited by ZDR1; 07-13-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add to
    Hoot Gibson and bananachunks like this.

And I wrote this in the Guests comments around 1998. September - Paul and Trevor (from Arizona): I will never forget the cool breeze! My son Trevor had fun starting fires in the stove and fire pit, and beer tastes better up here. Seeing my Uncle Coon's cabins for the first time. I would like to forget nothing. Had a great time. Talking about Beer again I see a Pattern!

Looks like a nice place. If we weren't 3000 miles away we would visit. Love small cabins on a lake.
    A very very wise man once said “it’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"Now then get your weapons... and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me"
    Gen:27:3

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.”
    -Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by goldenhtr View Post
    Looks like a nice place. If we weren't 3000 miles away we would visit. Love small cabins on a lake.
    If I do it I will get some Quads and TW'S and do summer ATV trips the trails are already in place.

I have a large family that live in the area this is a picture of this past 4th of July. 1044583_10200769268946148_1356757184_n.jpg the one thing missing was me.

We are leaving here this Friday and going straight to Maine. We love the northern part of the state and will be right there where your Uncles cabins are.

This is a tough part of the country to make a living in. You have an extremely short window of opportunity during the summer months and winters can be quite severe. Most cabins we find up there are not winterized or suited for the real cold months. It is Gods country though and drop dead gorgeous this time of year.

If we get a chance I will do some research while there and maybe spend a night or two at the cabins because we never make reservations and always end up where ever we are at night. Sucks to be us but being on a road trip vacation and having a set schedule and destination sucks worse. No TWs or boats this trip, just me, the wife and our Brittany.

Will report from there or when we get back. Please put in a good word to your relatives that we, Gary and MaryJo L. might be needing a cabin for a couple days between the 19-25 next week. We got married in Bar Harbor back in July of 93 and go back to Maine almost every year for our anniversary on the 23rd. 21 years and still in love.

GaryL
    Padilen, Hoot Gibson, Mel and 3 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    I'd take the cold Maine woods anytime compared to the heat of the Arizona Desert, but I wonder about the success of hiring a manager to run the place. You'll stil, have many of the problems of ownership and most of the income may go to the manager. On the otherhand, this has been in the family and you can check the history P&L etc....and then there's the &%$! bugs.
    Last edited by williamemack; 07-14-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Hoot Gibson, GaryL and Fred like this.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by williamemack View Post
    I'd take the cold Maine woods anytime compared to the heat of the Arizona Desert, but In wonder about the success of hiring a manager to run the place. You'll stil, have many of the problems of ownership and most of the income may go to the manager. On the otherhand, this has been iu the family and you can check the history P&L etc....and then there's the &%$! bugs.
    I am with you but only half way! Living here in the NY mountains is not all that much different in the winter except that winter starts much earlier up in northern Maine and last a good month or more longer.
    Given a choice my wife would move to Maine in a heartbeat but I and my tired bones would want to be much further south in Jan., Feb. and March. You could never get either of us to AZ or FL as a permanent residence, 4 seasons are a must but not when the worst one lasts so long as in northern Maine. I have to say this though, you could not find a prettier place to visit in mid July than Northern Maine and the fact that many of the roads are privately owned by the lumber companies adds to the unspoiled beauty. We go back almost every summer to North Woods Maine and have never had a bad time yet just cruising down the hundreds of miles of rural and gravel roads going to nowhere in particular. Stop along the coast on our way home for some fresh Lobster and we hate seeing Maine in our rear view mirror. Maine also honors most out of state pistol permits and a nicer bunch of down home folks will be hard to find in this country. We hop across the top of Vermont and NH and enter Maine from the west just below Quebec and then head further north until we reach the Realty road to go east across the entire state.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Gary that would be great if you could stay a night or two it might be to rustic for the wife, but if you have Facebook she has a page to check it out more and during the week no one will be around she works in Presque at the University of Maine quiet time. and if you are around on Sunday and our Catholic you will be invited to church in Ashland .I will see if my Uncle Ray will be around to give you a boat ride around the lake and show you the Bald Eagles.

Facebook page is, Portage Lakeside Cabins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links