Hoot my gun guy sent me this on an old police .38 Colt
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Hoot my gun guy sent me this on an old police .38 Colt

Hoot my gun guy sent me this on an old police .38 Colt

Hoot Gibson likes this.

I keep one of those .38 Police Specials by the door after jamming up a semi-auto with an improperly rammed home magazine while in a hurry to break up a cougar/ dog confrontation. I like the way a revolver left stashed year after year will always work in a stressful situation. A wheelgun is as reliable as a rock while the jammed semi-auto was as useful as a rock.
    Revolver's first two cylinders have snake shot for slithering things, warning shots and less damage from an accidental discharge.

P.S. - by the time I cleared the jam the moment of crisis was over and my dog O.K, cougar fleeing and clawed up mule deer limping off in other direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fred; 07-16-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Hoot Gibson and mhomadness like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Concho View Post
    Wheel guns rarely jam. That is why I keep my 357 S&W sitting next to my shotgun sitting next to my bed. I don't want to have to try to figure out a safety or a jam when I'm barely awake. My Glock that I carry daily gets cleaned and lubed frequently and the chance of a malfunction from that gun is also very unlikely. It doesn't have a damn safety either. I don't care for safety on a gun.
    The safety on the Glock is in the trigger . I also Have a Taurus model 66 combat 7 rounds 357. mag next to my bed in a safe that I put my five fingers on the top and the door pops open and that is next to my 12 gauge and plate carrier I have level 3 plates in it.
    Last edited by ZDR1; 07-16-2014 at 05:27 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    Is the Police Positive in 38 special? I seem to remember that some were chambered in "38 S&W" and the cylinder was shorter than the cylinder for the 38 special. The picture looks like a short cylinder to me but I can't really tell.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Quote Originally Posted by elime View Post
    Is the Police Positive in 38 special? I seem to remember that some were chambered in "38 S&W" and the cylinder was shorter than the cylinder for the 38 special. The picture looks like a short cylinder to me but I can't really tell.
    it just says 38 caliber you can click on more info for a better look.

I think elime is right, the short cylinder of the gun for sale looks like a 38S&W which is a fairly weak yet costly cartridge compared to 38special or +p. I used to shoot my father's 38S&W which he carried in the islands before WWII, it was fun and reliable but pretty anaemic by todays standards.
    I posted the 38special photo w/ dog &cat above to show the cyl. disparity between the two guns.Sorry for upside down image, it was taken with iPad That I habitually grab inverted due to stubborn left-handedness.

P.S. If kittens are outlawed only outlaw kittens will have guns
    Last edited by Fred; 07-16-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Despite its name, the caliber of the .38 Special cartridge is actually .357–.358 inches (9.0678 mm), with the ".38" referring to the approximate diameter of the loaded brass case. This came about because the original .38-caliber cartridge, the .38 Short Colt, was designed for use in converted .36-caliber cap-and-ball (muzzleloading) Navy revolvers, which had cylindrical firing chambers of approximately 0.374-inch (9.5 mm) diameter, requiring heeled bullets, the exposed portion of which was the same diameter as the cartridge case (see the section on the .38 Long Colt).

Except for case length, the .38 Special is identical to that of the .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, and the .357 Magnum. This allows the .38 Special round to be safely fired in revolvers chambered for the .357 Magnum, and the .38 Long Colt to be fired in revolvers chambered for .38 Special, and the .38 Short Colt to fire in revolvers chambered for .38 Long Colt, increasing the versatility of this cartridge. However, the longer and more powerful .357 Magnum cartridge will usually not chamber and fire in weapons rated specifically for .38 Special (e.g. all versions of the Smith & Wesson Model 10), which are not designed for the greatly increased pressure of the magnum rounds. Both .38 Special and .357 Magnum will chamber in Colt New Army revolvers in .38 Long Colt, due to the straight walled chambers, but this should not be done under any circumstances, due to dangerous pressure levels, up to three times what the New Army is designed for.
    Fred likes this.

I also found that the .38 Special cartridge was made in 1920 for the police to replace the .38 short colt.

Let's play "Stump the Expert"! zdiver, you really know your .38s or have your reloading manual handy. How about this .38? Absolutely no markings on exterior,origin unknown,38 special case is almost 1/4" too long to chamber, cat and cartridge inserted for scale. Just a display item from my wife's family but it is sweet and in good shape. I've though of trimming cases, getting .357 die and handloading some low pressure slither suppressing snake rounds.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Let's play "Stump the Expert"! zdiver, you really know your .38s or have your reloading manual handy. How about this .38? Absolutely no markings on exterior,origin unknown,38 special case is almost 1/4" too long to chamber, cat and cartridge inserted for scale. Just a display item from my wife's family but it is sweet and in good shape. I've though of trimming cases, getting .357 die and handloading some low pressure slither suppressing snake rounds.
    Is there rifling in those barrels? That sure looks like a cut down .410.
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links