Help from Deer hunters?
Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Help from Deer hunters?

Help from Deer hunters?

My gun guy has offered me a deal on two rifles new Rugers for $299. total I do not deer hunt now do not have time but in two years I want to start so would you get the 243 or the 270 ?
    Last edited by goldenhtr; 07-29-2014 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    My gun guy has offered me a deal on two rifles new Rugers for $299. total I do not dear hunt now do not have time but in two years I want to start so would you get the 243 or the 270 ?
    Az 6 Guns Close outs

My gun guy has offered me a deal on two rifles new Rugers for $299. total I do not dear hunt now do not have time but in two years I want to start so would you get the 243 or the 270 ?

New to motorcycles but I do know my firearms. If you are looking for a rifle that would be dedicated to deer size game you should go with the .270 no real debate there. However, if you have an interest in hunting anything else "predators such as coyotes or bobcats" then the .243 is more versatile. It should be noted that the .243 is on the small end for deer size game but with a 100gr bullet and careful placement it is still very capable. In all honesty it is a similar comparison to the debate between a TW and a DR650. They are both capable but excel at different things.

Tom
    ZDR1, sp_cache, Fred and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    New to motorcycles but I do know my firearms. If you are looking for a rifle that would be dedicated to deer size game you should go with the .270 no real debate there. However, if you have an interest in hunting anything else "predators such as coyotes or bobcats" then the .243 is more versatile. It should be noted that the .243 is on the small end for deer size game but with a 100gr bullet and careful placement it is still very capable. In all honesty it is a similar comparison to the debate between a TW and a DR650. They are both capable but excel at different things.

Tom
    That is what I was thinking .270 it is. I have a few shot's 1959 Winchester 30. 30. lever action model 94 with A half of a box has been shot in it. is in my collection ( my Dads) I was thinking about using it but it is worth a few bucks. Paul
    Last edited by ZDR1; 07-28-2014 at 09:39 PM.

That is what I was thinking .270 it is. I have a few shot's 1959 Winchester 30. 30. lever action with A half of a box has been shot in it. is in my collection ( my Dads) I was thinking about using it but it is worth a few bucks. Paul
    "Worth a few bucks"? Sounds priceless to me if it was your Dad's!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    "Worth a few bucks"? Sounds priceless to me if it was your Dad's!

Tom
    I don't think my Dad ever shot it I got a box of 20 and I shot it a few times and my son shot it a few times and I still have the box of 20 - 12.

I don't think my Dad ever shot it I got a box of 20 and I shot it a few times and my son shot it a few times and I still have the box of 20 - 12.
    I have shot a few deer in the Michigan woods with a 30/30. One of my favorites with some after market fiber optic sites by "Williams" also a Michigan company.

Tom

.270 is a lovely sized deer rifle. Basically, it's a necked down 30-06. I used a 30-06 for several years hunting whitetail in WI. .270 will have far more knockdown power than a .243; while a .243 has better range (retains speed over distance). I would go with the .270 as it has great range and plenty of power. .243 is just too small for big game - unless you have, as Tom mentioned, a well-placed shot (heart, lungs, neck or head). ...which is really where you should be shooting a dear anyway
    ZDR1 and goldenhtr like this.

.270 is a Hell of a round for that price. I bought a Remington 700 on close out, (308) last year for $499 which I thought was a great deal. The 30/30 is a great round also. You can't beat the lever actions I have a few in different calibers, good fun guns. I love the pistol/rifle combos.
    ZDR1 likes this.
    '73 CT-90
    '14 TW200
    Cycleracks Rear rack, Jimbo shield, Gmax dual sport helmet

I will get the .270 as I want to keep the pre 64 30.30 Winchester 94 for my Grandson I will pick it up Tuesday I have a scope. thanks guys I have not shot a deer as of yet but will do it soon .
    goldenhtr likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links