Another Victim of this robust recovery
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Another Victim of this robust recovery

Another Victim of this robust recovery

One more store closing in a long line of failed companies I have had the privilege of working for.

The Sears Auto Center I have worked at for the past five years in Fond du Lac Wisconsin is biting the dust. The main Sears store we are linked with in the nearby mall has been struggling to keep it's head above water for a few years now, and our meager profits just can't keep it a float any more.

This is the 4th business I have worked for in the last twelve years to fold up. The last one was the local Home Depot, and before that a Company that my best friend from second grade through high school purchased from his father just a couple years before the big crash. They had been in business 35 years. I delivered forestry trucks and equipment they refurbished and re-sold nationwide. And before that I worked over 10 years for a film processing lab that processed film for medical and commercial businesses. Gotta love the digital age, whens the last time you had a roll of film processed.

It sure sucks having to start over again at 47.
    Fred likes this.
    Journey before destination.
    -Brandon Sanderson

I got to do my 're-start' a few years ago. It does hurt. Saddle-time helps. Go ride!
    SeatConcepts,carb mod,Shinko tires,15/50 o-ring chain,custom racks f/r, aluminum luggage,windshield,handguards,heated grips,Clarke tank,high frt fender,led running lights,folding shifter, wide pegs,12v outlets,headlight kill switch,voltmeter,stainless header,2nd brakelight,GPS/phone mount

Just laid off from my job of 18 years in a sheet metal shop. Hopefully I'll be called back, but I think the place is going down sooner or later. There were 26 guys in the shop a few years ago now down to 7. Good luck out there, I hope you find a good job.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

There is no recession for government employees. Government is growing like crazy. You guys all need government jobs. The private sector is obsolete.
    Fred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fielding View Post
    There is no recession for government employees. Government is growing like crazy. You guys all need government jobs. The private sector is obsolete.
    Problem is most public sector people don't realize that the private sector pays their salary.
    TrailTodd likes this.
    Journey before destination.
    -Brandon Sanderson

First, Dingman, it does suck to loose a job for whatever the reason. I've felt that pain before as well. Good luck on getting a new job.

Secondly, Well, I'd like to know where the government jobs are if the government is growing like crazy. At my work (government) we've lost 10 positions due to budget cuts (yes we are aware who pays our salary). We've had to eliminate our midnight and weekend shifts! So, just don't get lost or hurt in the woods on weekends or at night or we might not be able to help you until Monday! Of course there are exceptions, one of us is on call.
    rurlndum likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I remember when I retired from my Government Job, as Environmental Health Director of a rural/small city/town County back in 2002,,,12 years ago this week at the ripe old age of 53....they hired 2 people to take my place{seriously} and I didn't think I was really earning my salary as a one man unit....yes there are Government jobs that are deemed necessary, and many are, but there are one Hell of a lot of paper pushers, and butt sitting types that have jobs simply because its' the EEO thing to do....

And don't deem this as political, because it's not....my guess is we could cut Government by 40%, leaving only the basics in place in full status...fire, police, emergency, roads, highway, etc, and not miss a damn beat....been there done that for many years as I watched all forms of Government, Federal, State, and Local, grow out of control....my wife as a 30+ year teacher will tell you the same thing about public education....too many chiefs, not enough people really working....
    Dryden-Tdub and fielding like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

I worked for Sears Auto Dept in 3 different stores, one in downtown San Diego, one in El Cajon, Ca and one in Soquel, Ca as a mechanic at one of them, a service advisor at another and manager for the Auto Dept nights and weekends at the third one. The same thing happened to me and many more folks. We all lost our jobs, I was lucky as I knew other trades and got to work again right away. Your post brings up a bad taste in my mouth for Sears though...

Hope you get back to work soon bro, praying for you.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    First, Dingman, it does suck to loose a job for whatever the reason. I've felt that pain before as well. Good luck on getting a new job.

Secondly, Well, I'd like to know where the government jobs are if the government is growing like crazy. At my work (government) we've lost 10 positions due to budget cuts (yes we are aware who pays our salary). We've had to eliminate our midnight and weekend shifts! So, just don't get lost or hurt in the woods on weekends or at night or we might not be able to help you until Monday! Of course there are exceptions, one of us is on call.

Government in Sand Hollow Idaho is probably constitutional and proper. It's not that way in much of the country.
    Last edited by fielding; 08-07-2014 at 04:21 PM.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

The times they are a changing! There was a time in this country when Loyalty counted in the private sector and being in the government sector in an essential function was a good bet.

When I lived up near Rochester, NY you had lots of good choices in the private sector. Kodak, Xerox, Bausch & Lomb, IBM and Delco were major employers. Almost all of these great companies are on the skids today. Even in the government sector essential services have taken some big hits. Here in NY we are closing prisons!

How ow can it not become a political thread when we continue to elect and reelect those who are turning our economy to Mush?

GaryL
    fielding likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links