Recomend me a shop air compressor!
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Padilen
  • 1 Post By Bruce's

Thread: Recomend me a shop air compressor!

Recomend me a shop air compressor!

So I'm tired of my used, oil-less air compressor screaming in my ears, and have decided to buy a new one. Anyone have any recommendations? Its just going to be a hobby compressor, but I need something that can bust the lug nuts off my truck, and maybe let me use a cutoff wheel for more than a few minutes.
    Lowes has a Kobalt 3.7 hp 60 gallon single stage compressor with pretty good reviews for 499.00..but I don't have any experience with the kobalt brand.
    harbor freight has a 5 hp 60 gallon 2 stage with decent reviews for 799.00..but, it's harbor freight!

Anyone have something they are happy with that's under a grand? Something.........quiet?

Thanks, Ryan

My oil less ate what I'd call a reed. Tractor Supply had a 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld 439- on sale now too. It's not a 5 it's 3.2 but 240. I like it, much quieter than my craftsman was. Only thing I gave up was portability.
    I checked back when I got mine and there is only a few manufacturers, most are just store branded.
    Like my craftsman was a DeVilbiss.
    Jmelarchy likes this.

Cast iron pump is the way to go if you want it to last and be quiet
    rurlndum likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Whatever you buy, drain the oil after you run it a little while to get all the metal shavings out of it. I think some of the Chinese compressors come full of metal shavings from the factory.

Thanks guys. I will for sure get one with a cast iron pump. I forgot about tractor supply..will go look take a look at those today.

What ever you get be sure it has a drain cock and use it. I've seen so many otherwise good compressors with rusted out tanks because they where never drained.

For air tools you want high CFM and a bigger tank. I like the upright ones because they take up less space in the shop. Another option to qwell the noise is to house the compressor in a small shed outside the shop and pipe it in to a couple of ports. 240V is much better than 120V and easier on your bills.
    If you ever plan to use it for painting then be sure to buy a good water separator for in the line.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

If you're going to spend all that money, do it right and never worry about it again. Good compressors aren't quiet and quiet compressors aren't good. For pneumatic tools you'll want 100% duty capacity. 100% duty cycle means it won't burn up when you use all its capacity such as running a sander non-stop. So:

Ingersoll-Rand. Mine is ancient. My son's is about 5 years old. Size 25% greater volume at working pressure for your most demanding tool load. Figure 240 volt single phase--anything less is a joke. Mount on a concrete slab in lean-to outside. Leave the door open for ventilation when temps are above freezing. Put a 90 on the tank drain so you can pipe the drainage outside and move the valve out from under the tank so you can reach it easily. Change compressor oil as recommended. Use a failure-proof IR emitter for reptiles to avoid freezing, just hook it to a line-voltage thermostat used for baseboard heaters. If you're DIY, you can have a 5hp 2-stage or better operating for $1000.

Nope. Never heard of them, seen them, read a report on them, nothing. Send me a good 60 cycle 40 amp single phase with a 2 stage compressor and I'll be happy to try it out.

Sponosred Links