It is always something!
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: It is always something!

It is always something!

I have noticed my bathroom was extra hot this summer and noticed a wet spot on the wall and I touched it and the drywall was wet, so it had to be right behind my toilet I put a temporary clamp on it till I have time to fix it right I suck at drywall so I will have someone do it right I plan to sale this house in 22 month and having a house built in Prescott AZ. 10622234_10203476768671949_824363177_n.jpg on the hot water pipe.
    Last edited by ZDR1; 08-17-2014 at 09:35 PM.

Oh the joys of home ownership, always something to fix. A pro drywall repair is a good idea with a sale contemplated. All my patches look like patches since texture is so hard to match. Much sympathy. As a starving college student renting I would have just thought it good magazine and t.p. storage.

Not good! If what you had is a pin hole leak in the copper pipe above the connections then you have more to come. Copper often rots from inside out because of chemicals in the water or some sort of electrolysis condition. When you do the repair you will see the corroded inside part and know there will be more problems upcoming. Often times the repair causes more leaks right up the line unless you replace a lot of copper.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

probably "copper" covering...youngest son{they just had the grandson #2} had the same last week...for the second time in a year....replacing it with pvc...but nice hole in the condo ceiling just in time for the baby....sucks for sure
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Good point Gary. I have client in slab-on-grade subdivision home whose hot water lines catastrophically leak under the slab foundation. Low-bid plumbing contractor for low bid subdivision developer omitted dialetric couplers in quite a few homes there. These are neccessary where pipes of dissimilar metal meet up.Many are failing there after about a ten year service life. Contractor is long gone leaving home owners with expensive re-plumbing starting at minimum of $15,000.
    So if any of you contemplate a little DIY plumbing do not forget that without a diaeletric coupler installed where copper and a dissimilar metal join you will set up a galvanic cell where the copper is slowly electro-plated onto the Chrome/zinc/iron bath and kitchen fixtures. Eventually copper loss results in thin pipe walls and a subsequent leak. Tends to occur in hot water pipes first due to faster chemical process at higher temps.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-18-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zdiver1 View Post
    I have noticed my bathroom was extra hot this summer and noticed a wet spot on the wall and I touched it and the drywall was wet, so it had to be right behind my toilet I put a temporary clamp on it till I have time to fix it right I suck at drywall so I will have someone do it right I plan to sale this house in 22 month and having a house built in Prescott AZ. 10622234_10203476768671949_824363177_n.jpg on the hot water pipe.

That is a bummer. It's not the plumbing that is the big problem, it's the wall. There is no quick fix for this one. If it was mine I would still fix it myself though. I would pull the toilet out remove all the drywall on the entire wall, replace the copper pipes and then put in new drywall. No small task, but if you hire this done there is going to be a loud sucking sound on your bank account.

Water leak in the wall, that sucks. Nothing worse except sewer leak...

In looking at the picture, what is that red item on the pipe? Just curious...

And another question, does copper actually corrode such? I have never seen that before in the middle of a line. Yes, burst frozen pipes, damaged pipes from installation and the odd screw or nail through the wall, but just sitting there???
    Last edited by MSWRC; 08-18-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWRC View Post
    Water leak in the wall, that sucks. Nothing worse except sewer leak...

In looking at the picture, what is that red item on the pipe? Just curious...

And another question, does copper actually corrode such? I have never seen that before in the middle of a line. Yes, burst frozen pipes, damaged pipes from installation and the odd screw or nail through the wall, but just sitting there???

I agree, I have not seen corroded copper except in electrical circuits. The pipe must have been damaged. Maybe I would just repair the damaged spot and cover the hole with a nice piece of 1/8" masonite and paint it the color of the wall. If the buyer asks, just tell him it's an access entry for plumbing repairs. Some houses have those.

Copper plumbing pipes can corrode for a few reasons. Hard water or water with certain minerals is often the culprit and there is also some systems that use the water pipes as electrical grounding points. This causes some form of electro chemical reaction that Fred seems to have a better handle on. My brothers home is plagued by pin hole leaks in the copper heat system. We are changing over to all PEX pipes as the leaks appear.

My copper pipes are 45 years old and in good shape but my neighbors are about the same age and he has pin hole leaks all the time.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I imagine that Arizona real estate laws require full disclosure from seller of any and all issues.If so perhaps best to have known issue fixed so it looks proffesionally done, declare leak and wall fixed and hope buyer doesn't ask about dry rot floor, sill plate and studs or potential for similar problems elsewhere in home.
    fielding and rurlndum like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links